Do you care if Cooper's falls into foreign hands

Discussion of Lion Nathan's failed takeover bid for the independent Cooper's Brewery and links to articles and other discussions.

What do you think about the prospect of Cooper's Brewery falling into foreign hands?

It's a bloody disgrace and I plan on boycotting all Lion Nathan products
55%
I'd prefer it didn't happen, but that's progress
28%
It's OK as long as the beer doesn't change
15%
Couldn't care less
1%

Total votes : 85

Postby vlade » Wednesday Sep 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Just maybe it might be a good thing; they'll leave coopers alone and make tooheys taste more like coopers?
vlade

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 9:51 am

NTRabbit wrote:Brewcraft stores here in SA dont stock any Coopers products at all ...

Nor in Victoria. How ridiculous. The world's biggest supplier of homebrew concentrate and in their wisdom Brewcraft decides not to sell their product.

Heck, at Tooheys (Lion Nathan) pubs you can generally get CUB (Foster's) products like VB, etc. And vice versa.

Apart from the generally crap advice I've received at Brewcraft (anyone remember my "yeah, I have brewed that kit before but I stuffed it up because I didn't read the instructions" story?), this is another reason not to go there.

Is Brewcraft just hard-headed?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 10:24 am

Oliver,

Can you repeat the story? I haven't heard it yet and I could use a good laugh before I climb the water tower and go postal. What a fricking day, 3 Chiefs and 1 Indian.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 10:29 am

Dogger Dan wrote:Oliver,

Can you repeat the story? I haven't heard it yet and I could use a good laugh before I climb the water tower and go postal. What a fricking day, 3 Chiefs and 1 Indian.

Dogger

It wasn't that good, really, but here it is.

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... t=452#7418

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 10:37 am

Thanks Oliver

I feel much better now :lol:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby NTRabbit » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Oliver wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:Brewcraft stores here in SA dont stock any Coopers products at all ...

Nor in Victoria. How ridiculous. The world's biggest supplier of homebrew concentrate and in their wisdom Brewcraft decides not to sell their product.

Heck, at Tooheys (Lion Nathan) pubs you can generally get CUB (Foster's) products like VB, etc. And vice versa.

Apart from the generally crap advice I've received at Brewcraft (anyone remember my "yeah, I have brewed that kit before but I stuffed it up because I didn't read the instructions" story?), this is another reason not to go there.

Is Brewcraft just hard-headed?

Oliver

Well the guy at my brewcraft store seems to give pretty good advice, but they must be hard headed over Coopers - the argument that they wont sell Coopers because they get undercut on the product by the big chain stores like Big W and K-Mart really doesnt fly when you see that they do sell Tooheys and MSB, both readily available for marginally cheaper prices at the above mentioned.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Tony » Thursday Sep 22, 2005 2:55 pm

NTRabbit wrote: the argument that they wont sell Coopers because they get undercut on the product by the big chain stores like Big W and K-Mart really doesnt fly when you see that they do sell Tooheys and MSB, both readily available for marginally cheaper prices at the above mentioned.

And it doesn't fly when you can only get the original and international series at the big chain store. Cooper's is most emphatic that their brewmaster, premium, and malt extract products are only available through "specialty home brew stores".

Tony
Tony

Postby Guest » Friday Sep 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Tooheys, Castlemaine XXXX and MSB made by Maltexo (owned by Lion Nathan).
Black Rock, Gold Rush and Brewcraft-domestic 1.5kg brand made by Maltexo (owned by Lion Nathan).
The question is - Who owns Brewcraft?

Postby gregb » Saturday Sep 24, 2005 5:08 am

Who owns Morgans?

Thanks,
Greg
gregb

Postby Oliver » Sunday Sep 25, 2005 8:33 pm

Maltexo (Lion Nathan) also makes Wander.

I don't know who owns Morgan's.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby NTRabbit » Monday Sep 26, 2005 4:31 am

Oliver wrote:Maltexo (Lion Nathan) also makes Wander.

They also make the Brewiser cans. Thats a fair whack of the same product wearing different labels.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby ex0ja » Tuesday Feb 28, 2006 8:23 pm

This is a typical problem with a free market capitalist system. Our only option is to hope we can hurry up and achieve communism.
ex0ja

Postby triumph » Wednesday Mar 01, 2006 6:05 pm

What, and have no brewerys in family hands? Wanker....
I drink to make other people interesting...
triumph

Postby brewtaster » Tuesday Apr 25, 2006 11:08 pm

i herd on the grape vine brewcraft sell the coopers range wholsale only mainly because they get better profit margins on there own brand and black rock also here lion nathan own them got all this info speaking to my local brewcraft employee
brewtaster

Previous

Return to The battle for Cooper's