Want to boycott Lion Nathan?

Discussion of Lion Nathan's failed takeover bid for the independent Cooper's Brewery and links to articles and other discussions.

Want to boycott Lion Nathan?

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 06, 2005 11:16 pm

If you want to show your disapproval at Lion Nathan over its takeover bid for Cooper's Brewery by voting with your wallet, here are products to avoid:

Beer

Australia
Emu Bitter
Emu Export
Emu Draft

Eumundi

Carbine Stout

Ice Beer

Southwark Bitter
Southwark Stout
Southwark Pale Ale
Southwark Premium

Swan Draught
Swan Stout

Tooheys Extra Dry
Tooheys Maxim
Tooheys New
Tooheys Pils
Tooheys Old

Red Bitter
Blue Bitter

Tooheys Blue Ice

West End Draught
West End Export
West End Gold
West End Light

XXXX Bitter
XXXX DL Lager
XXXX Draught
XXXX Gold
XXXX Light Bitter

Hahn Premium
Hahn Premium Light

James Squire Amber Ale
James Squire India Pale Ale
James Squire Pilsener
James Squire Porter
James Squire Colonial Wheat beer
James Squire Australian Strong Ale

Mid Strength

Gold Bitter

International brands in Australia
Beck's
Boddingtons
Heineken
Kirin Ichiban
Pilsner Urquell
Steinlager
Tiger

New Zealand
Canterbury Draught

Lion Brown
Lion Pils
Lion Red
Lion Ice

Waikato Draught

Speight's Old Dark
Speight's Gold Medal Ale
Speight's Distinction Ale
Speight's Pale Ale

Light Ice

Black Mac
Blonde Mac

Mac's Light
Mac's Copperhop Ale
Mac's Gold
Mac's Nelson Reserve
Mac's Real Ale

Steinlager
Steinlager Premium Light

International brands in New Zealand

Beck's
Corona
Stella Artois
Guinness
Kilkenny
Rheineck

Wine

Australia
Smithbrook Pemberton (WA)
Knappstein (SA)
Tatachilla (SA)
St Hallett (SA)
Petaluma (SA)
Mitchelton (Victoria)
Stonier (Victoria)

New Zealand
Wither Hills (Marlborough)

United States
Argyle (Oregon)

Of course, I'm not advocating you do boycott Lion Nathan products. Although if you did, you wouldn't hear me complaining!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 12:07 am

Sorry Oliver,

While I'm against the takeover i do enjoy Speights and Macs when I can from NZ and I'm partial when at the pub to the James Squire brews or a pint of Boddie.

I know sh!t happens but they are decent brews IMHO.

As for the swan and xxxx etc, give that sh!t a miss for sure. Maybe a selective boycott of their crap will force them to focus on the decent brews and keep them good!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Beerpig » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 8:09 am

I don't use Lion Nathan products apart from the odd Squires beer which I enjoy.

They are only doing what any company in it's position would, so boycotting them for good business would be silly

I believe that Coopers should remain a family owned concern & concentrate on quality & expanding the niche in the market that they have created.

Might be a good idea to restructure the company to prevent future takeover bids while they are at it

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby Guest » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:05 am

the decision to boycott or not is so much easier now that squires pilsner tastes like crap (which i guess highlights how a good beer goes bad after the big boys get a hold of it)

Postby Guest » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:07 am

Anonymous wrote:the decision to boycott or not is so much easier now that squires pilsner tastes like crap (which i guess highlights how a good beer goes bad after the big boys get a hold of it)

i may have trouble staying away from the ipa & the porter which are still brewed by people who care about beer... rather than profits

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:40 am

I'll be boycotting the bullies for sure, i dont drink any of their products anyway !! :lol:
Paleman

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:44 am

Guys,

As I said, I'm not recommending anyone boycott. I was just giving you the information to do so if you wish.

There are certainly some LN beers that I'll buy even if the takeover succeeds (including Cooper's :cry: ). But I may think twice about buying them, or buy them less often.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:50 am

Oliver wrote:

There are certainly some LN beers that I'll buy even if the takeover succeeds (including Cooper's :cry: ).

Oliver

Or maybe you wouldnt Oliver, if the Coopers beers changed for the worse, which i think they would.

I cant see them keeping two breweries in Adelaide, the Coopers brewery would have to go ( my speculation )...then the Ales would most definately change. :x
Paleman

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 9:55 am

Paleman wrote:
Oliver wrote:There are certainly some LN beers that I'll buy even if the takeover succeeds (including Cooper's :cry: ).
Oliver

Or maybe you wouldnt Oliver, if the Coopers beers changed for the worse, which i think they would.

I cant see them keeping two breweries in Adelaide, the Coopers brewery would have to go ( my speculation )...then the Ales would most definately change. :x

Paleman,

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't keep buying Cooper's if it changed.

Also, as I read it, Lion Nathan's Southwark Brewery would close and all would be brewed at Cooper's, which is more modern. I refer to it in this thread http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1291 about Tim Cooper saying Cooper's had held very recent discussions with Lion Nathan about contract brewing its West End and Southwark products.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 10:35 am

Paleman wrote:I cant see them keeping two breweries in Adelaide, the Coopers brewery would have to go ( my speculation )...then the Ales would most definately change. :x

i heard some other speculation about the value of the land on which the LN brewery sits being worth more than the coopers site. i guess it'd make more sense to move the LN production to the shiny new coopers site & sell the land off at the LN site. it would probably go along way in funding the buy out.
all speculation of course :)

i'm with you Oliver. i may not totally boycott, but this will definatly influence my purchasing

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 11:32 am

No Becks and Steiny for me

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 1:11 pm

Oliver wrote:
Paleman wrote:
Oliver wrote:There are certainly some LN beers that I'll buy even if the takeover succeeds (including Cooper's :cry: ).
Oliver

Paleman,

Agreed. I definitely wouldn't keep buying Cooper's if it changed.

Also, as I read it, Lion Nathan's Southwark Brewery would close and all would be brewed at Cooper's, which is more modern. I refer to it in this thread http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1291 about Tim Cooper saying Cooper's had held very recent discussions with Lion Nathan about contract brewing its West End and Southwark products.

Cheers,

Oliver

That was my speculation. That all brewing would be done from one brewery. Seems i'm wrong that theyd close the Southwark Brewery. I speculated this because i thought it was the biggest of the two, and more adequete to handle larger brewing volumes.

Anyway whichever way they had a chance to go. All beers would be brewed in one brewery. Surely the Coopers ( Family Owned ) Ales and Stouts would change in taste, because of this fact. A sad day.

Coopers, and Coopers shareholders.....keep digging your heels in. Please lets not lose another Australian, and more importantly South Australian icon.
Paleman

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Just adding more. I was given a book, on the history of the Coopers Brewery. Given to me by Coopers, called Ale and Hearty. Going right back to the days of Thomas Cooper. It seems that the Coopers have harvested, cultured, and used again and again strains of yeast, that originated...way back from the days of the humble beginnings.

Would Lion Nathan, take so much care and time into doing the same with our unique Ales ??

Somehow i dont think so !! :?
Paleman

Postby bottlebomber » Monday Sep 12, 2005 10:19 am

Wouldn't you know it?! I was disgruntled to find some of my favourites on your LN list, Oliver: James Squire's, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, Steinlager -- and Eumundi, no less -- a staple of mine at times when Coopers Sparkling seems a little too pricey. When did those b******s get their hands on that??
bottlebomber

Postby Tony » Monday Sep 12, 2005 12:33 pm

Eumundi came along when LN bought Castlemaine (XXXX), who had owned it a long time before that. IMHO, Eumundi went down the tube when Castlemaine bought it.

Tony
Tony

Return to The battle for Cooper's