Essential Winter Brews.

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Essential Winter Brews.

Postby slayer71 » Thursday Jun 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Ok guys winter has come around I'm after a couple of essential recipes to do put down, K&K will be best for me,
Cheers.

1. Pilsener
2. Lager
3. Porter

Anyone got any other must do recipes, please add them.
slayer71

Re: Essential Winter Brews.

Postby earle » Thursday Jun 03, 2010 4:46 pm

I reckon you want to be drinking porter now rather than brewing it. Good for winter drinking but takes a few months to mellow out.

If you're going for lagers with cooler brewing weather I would suggest an Oktoberfest. If you do a search I'm sure there would be recipes.

Cheers
Earle
earle

Postby Lachy » Thursday Jun 03, 2010 4:51 pm

We're definitely coming into the lager brewing season. I intend to start up a second fermenter to make the most use of the cool weather.

As to drinking... to my mind, now is the best time of the year to consume stouts, dark ales and Belgians.
Lachy

Postby timmy » Friday Jun 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Have a stab at Wassa's Honey Porter... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7732&hilit=wassa+porter

I brewed one last week and am going to tap the keg tomorrow.
timmy

Postby slayer71 » Friday Jun 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Cheers I've done Wassa's Porter thats a cracker that one, any suggestions on a good Lowenbrau recipe or a K&K Oktoberfest recipe thats worth giving a shot.
slayer71

Postby earle » Friday Jun 04, 2010 6:04 pm

earle

Postby slayer71 » Saturday Jun 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Cheers Earle, may give the Oktoberfest brew a go.
Looks simple enough,

Coopers Euro Lager kit
300g Caramunich Grain Steeped
1.5kg LME

Should I use any hops at all ?
And if I can't get a Coopers Euro kit is there any other kits recommended for this recipe ?

Thanks again.
slayer71

Postby earle » Saturday Jun 05, 2010 3:54 pm

From BJCP 2008 Guidelines
3B. Oktoberfest
Aroma: Rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light to moderate toasted malt aroma is often present. Clean lager aroma with no fruity esters or diacetyl. No hop aroma. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Appearance: Dark gold to deep orange-red color. Bright clarity, with solid, off-white, foam stand.

Flavor: Initial malty sweetness, but finish is moderately dry. Distinctive and complex maltiness often includes a toasted aspect. Hop bitterness is moderate, and noble hop flavor is low to none. Balance is toward malt, though the finish is not sweet. Noticeable caramel or roasted flavors are inappropriate. Clean lager character with no diacetyl or fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with a creamy texture and medium carbonation. Smooth. Fully fermented, without a cloying finish.

Overall Impression: Smooth, clean, and rather rich, with a depth of malt character. This is one of the classic malty styles, with a maltiness that is often described as soft, complex, and elegant but never cloying.

Comments: Domestic German versions tend to be golden, like a strong Pils-dominated Helles. Export German versions are typically orange-amber in color, and have a distinctive toasty malt character. German beer tax law limits the OG of the style at 14?P since it is a vollbier, although American versions can be stronger. "Fest" type beers are special occasion beers that are usually stronger than their everyday counterparts.

History: Origin is credited to Gabriel Sedlmayr, based on an adaptation of the Vienna style developed by Anton Dreher around 1840, shortly after lager yeast was first isolated. Typically brewed in the spring, signaling the end of the traditional brewing season and stored in cold caves or cellars during the warm summer months. Served in autumn amidst traditional celebrations.

Ingredients: Grist varies, although German Vienna malt is often the backbone of the grain bill, with some Munich malt, Pils malt, and possibly some crystal malt. All malt should derive from the finest quality two-row barley. Continental hops, especially noble varieties, are most authentic. Somewhat alkaline water (up to 300 PPM), with significant carbonate content is welcome. A decoction mash can help develop the rich malt profile.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 - 1.057
IBUs: 20 - 28 FG: 1.012 - 1.016
SRM: 7 - 14 ABV: 4.8 - 5.7%

Commercial Examples: Paulaner Oktoberfest, Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen, Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest, Hofbrau Oktoberfest, Victory Festbier, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, Spaten Oktoberfest, Capital Oktoberfest, Gordon Biersch Marzen, Goose Island Oktoberfest, Samuel Adams Oktoberfest (a bit unusual in its late hopping)

Octoberfest style is more malt driven, hop flavour is low to none. A lot of the character of this beer comes from the caramunich. I wouldn't add any hops. If you can't get the Euro lager the standard lager would probably be fine but you definitely would need to replace the yeast.

Cheers
earle

Postby slayer71 » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks Earle so as I understand it this is more a malt flavour with no extra hops added sounds good to me, would the S-189 yeast be the best, and I imagine a low 10-12c would be best.
slayer71

Postby earle » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I used a w-34/70 as that was what I had on hand but S-189 sounds like a good idea as it is quite neutral. I've used s-189 a few times since and ferment at 10c for about 6 days, then bring up to 16c over a few days so the yeast can clean up after themselves. This is based on a method outlined by John Palmer in Brewing Classic Styles.
earle

Postby slayer71 » Monday Jul 26, 2010 8:26 am

G'day all have got my ingredients for this Oktoberfest brew just wondering if anyone can tell me what type or sort of flavour this one will be like, is it a dark beer at all with a creamy head ?
slayer71

Postby earle » Monday Jul 26, 2010 9:40 am

Oktoberfest is an amber lager. Google some of the commercial examples from the BJCP guidelines above to have a look. Sometimes you can get Oktoberfest at Dan Murphy's. Think it might be Erdinger.
earle

Postby earle » Monday Jul 26, 2010 9:45 am

Oktoberfest is an amber lager. Google some of the commercial examples from the BJCP guidelines above to have a look. Sometimes you can get Oktoberfest at Dan Murphy's. Think it might be Erdinger.
earle

Postby slayer71 » Thursday Aug 12, 2010 5:30 pm

What would happen if I steeped 500g of Caramunich grains ?
slayer71

Postby earle » Thursday Aug 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Caramuich has a distinct, sweet taste. With 500g you would need to make sure you have enough bitterness to balance. I would suggest starting with less and adjusting once you get a taste.
earle

Return to Recipes