First Lager

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: First Lager

Postby matr » Wednesday Oct 27, 2010 4:05 pm

It's been in the keg for a couple of weeks and first impressions were not so good :(

Tasted too malty (sweet) for a lager but I was expecting that as earle mentioned it at the start (was going to adjust the hop schedule but forgot) and I didn't have beersmith setup right so the IBU's were down.

Anyway over the week it has really cleared out and improved. I think some sweetness is also perceived from the Nelson & Amarillo coming through. If I were to do it again I would up the grains and reduce the DME & up the hop flavour & IBU a bit.

Overall being my first lager I'm happy with it. Just over the 1 dimentionality (is that a word) of using extract in brews. Bring on AG!!

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Re: First Lager

Postby Fifey » Saturday Oct 30, 2010 10:13 am

My lager dried out a bit- thought it was going to be too sweet when I tried it before racking, at bottling though it tasted much better. Gave it near 3 weeks in primary, so I don't think it was unfinished, it just conditioned well.

You are right about the flat flavour though, I'll have to add a few different spec grains next time.
Fifey

Previous

Return to Recipes