best brew

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: best brew

Postby Bum » Friday Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am

I bet you feel really stupid now, rotten...
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 29, 2010 6:56 am

bullfrog wrote:I'm sure I'll be singing the same tune when I have to get up at 4am to get to work in time, mate.

Yep, was right. Apologies to all, this site isn't an outlet for my personal issues and I shouldn't have been anywhere near the internet last night in the state-of-mind I was in.
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Friday Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am

I will learn one day.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 29, 2010 10:28 pm

why do you feel stupid rotten
i am sure thewre was no Misinterpretation
speedie

Postby speedie » Friday Nov 12, 2010 8:05 am

this weekend is a planed brewday and it was discussed at last nights meeting that we are going to brew the dusty nelson formula again but do it if different hop shedules and use US05 this time around
may post photos of this brew if anyone is interested
let me know
the troll emigma fastone flash
cheers speedie :twisted:
speedie

Postby speedie » Friday Nov 12, 2010 8:12 am

hay BUM get out ya three vessel rig and hav a go dude!
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Nov 12, 2010 12:03 pm

If this is the APA you were talking of in another thread then it confuses me a little. It doesn't seem to be of any fixed style to me. Some general pale ale. It doesn't seem to scream APA to me (though it is APA-ish). I'm not a huge fan of NS on its own either. Also I'd just do it is a single infusion mash so it'd have a different character to the original. So I'll be giving it a miss as posted but I'd be interested to see your new hop schedule once you guys work it out.

I just want to make it perfectly clear I am not suggesting Dusty Nelson is anything but a good beer - just not what I'm looking for and my consumption doesn't generally support me doing a whole batch just to see what it'll turn out like.
Last edited by Bum on Friday Nov 12, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Friday Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm not a fan of nelson sauvin either so I'll give this a miss too.

Took along my latest rye 'golden' ale to the local case swap and served it through a handpump. The keg was empty the next morning. I think I'll take that as people enjoyed it :lol:
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Sunday Nov 14, 2010 10:35 pm

just lov dat golden rye
ill post u a honey rye ale that i made about five years back if you show any! interest
speedie enigma :wink:
speedie

Postby speedie » Monday Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Bum me old fru
When you said that you would do it in single step what did you mean by it
Is your brew rig only setup for infusing hot water, hang on I seem to remember you saying that it was gas eclectic with timers etc
Why would you give a single mash program preference over multistep?
For APA style beer
enigma 8)
speedie

Postby speedie » Monday Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Update on dusty nelson
400 litres @ 1055
Copper color
All nelson sauvin hop
One ferment hopped the other will be dry hopped in conditioning tank
250 grams rehydrated US 05
extract 64% mill and runoff problems

Have ordered 5 Kgs of Citra to play with in next brew
Cheers fast one
:wink:
speedie

Postby Bum » Monday Nov 15, 2010 10:30 pm

My system is gas and electric but you've remembered it half-backwards (which is fine because if I remember correctly some posts were deleted quite quickly in that exchange). My HLT is electric and the only timer in my system is (sometimes) used so that strike water is ready when I get out of bed in the morning. My kettle is gas fired. My MLT is an esky with a false bottom. Yeah, I know I could choose to do steps with this set-up (and approximately how I'd go about doing that) but I elect not to right now for a couple of reasons. The primary is that I'm still on single figures for brews on this rig and I'm wanting to keep my process simple until I have it dialed in. Complicating matters here is the fact that the brews done on it thus far have (by design) swung wildly in terms of OG - I understand that I'm making something of a rod for my own back here but staying interested in the beers is more important to me than eeking out a few more points in efficiency.

In terms of why I would do a single step mash for an APA: I honestly would have thought this style was a prime candidate for this method. Happy to be corrected (which is a phrase I always mean to be taken literally - I'm here to read good brewing info), but I would have thought step mashing becomes more important for styles where the malt takes the lead or in the superclean European lagers? Plenty of room to move with an APA.

I'm taking it as read that most would have noticed I'm not a hugely sciencey brewer at this point. Enjoying it immensely either way.
Bum

Postby billybushcook » Friday Nov 19, 2010 6:25 am

Totally agree,
When your only doing small batches, for your own needs, KISS Rules!

I have considered doing steps by using a cheap pump driven by a battery drill. Plan is to circulate my mash through a small coil chiller/ heater I have, sitting in a pot of boiling water.

In reality though. a few extra points from a 5Kg grain bill is not a big deal, the difference would mean constant monitoring of the mash & hands on instead of being able to go & play with the kids or TRY to keep the missus happy for 90 Mins as I can do with a single step.

Horses for courses, Is it really worth it? Probably not!

I thought I'd cracked great efficiency when I did my first mash with PH stabeliser (was up by 10 points) but subsiquent brews have only been up by a few points. I think it may have been the grist, normally I run my grain through the Marga on the largest setting (modified) then do a second pass on a smaller setting, about 1.5mm. but the past couple of batches Ivé been getting my hands into the grist afterwards & breaking it up even more, I think this is the reason for the higher OG's.
Hmmmmm, I really must get that new Mill built!!

Cheers, Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby speedie » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Today my brother and good friend knocked out 210 litres of wizen 60-40% wheat barley malt, rice hulls in the mash three step scarification 69% extract
Dehydrated wheat yeast 20 degree ferment
Come on summer

:)
speedie

Previous

Return to Recipes