Red Ale Recipes?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Red Ale Recipes?

Postby RedAle » Monday Nov 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi, i am new to brewing and this forum, does anyone have any good Red Ale recipes? Celtice Red Ale, Irish Cream Ale Etc.
My favourite beers at the moment are: Montieths Celtic Red Ale (anything by Monteiths turns to gold if you ask me), RazorBack Red Ale(Snowy Mountains Brewery).
I also like a Fat Yak or White Rabbit Dark Ale.
I brew in a unit, so mostly kit + Kilo, but will consider a partial...
RedAle

Re: Red Ale Recipes?

Postby earle » Tuesday Nov 16, 2010 8:28 am

Hi Red. Welcome to the forum.

My Fat Yak clone is below. There's also some good info on the styles your after on the http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com.au forum.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 19.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.70 kg Coopers Kit Real Ale (37.8 EBC) Extract 51.52 %
1.50 kg Coopers Light Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 45.45 %
0.10 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (110.0Grain 3.03 %
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (10 min)Hops 5.5 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Premium Ale S-04
earle

Postby coaster » Friday Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Red,

This is a bit late, but I tried approximating the Monteiths Celtic using a Coopers Draught as a base. I wouldn't say it's a clone, but it came out as a fair imitation.

Cheers,

Coaster

Monteith’s Celtic
20 litres – OG 1039 – ABV 4.7%

1.7kg Draught kit e.g. Coopers
500g Coopers light dry malt
400g crystal malt
100 g chocolate malt
30g Goldings 15 mins
Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins
30 g Fuggles 5 mins
500g raw sugar
Ale yeast

Bring 3 litres of water to boil – put crystal and chocolate grain malts in to steep, bring to boil again after 10 mins, take off stove, strain and sparge after 20 mins. Add the dry extract, boil for 30 minutes with graduated hop additions. Add the sugar, let cool to 25 deg, pitch yeast.
coaster

Postby Oliver » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Coaster,

Thanks for the recipe. The only thing I would suggest to anyone trying this is to only steep the grain in water about 30 mins at 70C. Hotter than this and you risk extracting tannins, which will impart harsh, undesirable flavours in your beer.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby e-a-m-o-n » Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey just got a few questions coaster,

Im pritty new to brewing (first brew without a kit) and am just trying to sus out your hop adding times. So are you saying to steep the grains for the first 30min of the 60min boil and then add the hops in the second 30 min? And when you say "Fuggles 5 mins" do you mean 5 mins into the boil, or when the boil has 5 mins to go? The guy at the brew store today said you might mean the latter, got me a bit confused..

Cheers, Eamon
e-a-m-o-n

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Eamon,

As Oliver suggested earlier, you don't want to be boiling the grain itself, just the water that you've steeped it in. Getting grain over the ~80 degree mark can potentially extract tannins (which you don't want in your brew.) An easy way to steep grain is 75% water straight out of a boiling kettle and the rest just out of the tap.

As for hop timing in recipes, the minute figure will generally always show how many minutes you are boiling them for (so "Fuggles 5 mins" means adding them 5 minutes before the end of the boil.) In a brew that doesn't use a tin of pre-hopped extract, you will often see something similar to:
Hop A @ 60
Hop B @ 20
Hop C @ 5
With A being used for bittering (it's in there the longest so isomerises most of the hops' alpha acids,) B being a flavour addition and C thrown in for aroma.

Hop that helps.
bullfrog

Postby earle » Tuesday Oct 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome Eamon

As Oliver said above don't boil grains or you could extract tannins from them which will give you harsh flavours. Better to steep at about 70C, I boil the kettle then pour 700ml into a jug and top up to 1L with tap water which gets it close enough. Repeat till you get the desired volume. Rather than keep it on the stove top I wrap pot that I steep grains in with a towel or blanket to keep it warm for about an hour. I then strain the grains through some fine cloth and rinse (sparge) with some more 70C water. The liquid that you now have is called liquor.

As for the hops the times refer to how long from the end of the boil. So in coasters recipe you would boil for 30min in all. 15 minutes from the end (15min from start) add the 30g Goldings, then 5 minutes from the end (25minutes from the start) add the 30g Fuggles.

I would normally sparge with fresh water so to me its not really clear as to what coasters boil volume is (starts with 3L but does this increase with sparge), which would affect how much bitterness is extracted from the hops. However as the boil times for the hops are quite short, we're not getting heaps of bitterness from them anyway so perhaps its not that critical if you want to give the recipe a go. Short hop boils are used more for flavour and aroma, the main bitterness in this recipe will come from the kit anyway.

Hope this helps
earle

Postby coaster » Wednesday Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Eamon,

Well, I think everyone else has covered off your questions - thanks Oliver, Bullfrog and Earle. I'm relatively new to this too, so since posting my recipe I've tweaked it a bit. I put the grains into a 3 litre pot, pour 2 lots of just boiled water from a 1 litre jug over it, I find that the mash starts out at about 80 deg and after 20 minutes is down to about 70 (so avoiding the tannins that the other posters quite rightly warn against). I then strain it into a 9 litre pot, wash out the spent grains with another 2 litres of boiled water, and add the dry malt. I then bring it to a boil, boil for 15 minutes, add the first lot of hops and the (crushed) Whirlfloc tablet, boil for another 10 minutes, add the second lot of hops, boil for another 5 minutes, then switch off and let cool. I then put it in the brew bin, add the sugar and kit malt, stir them to dissolve and make up 20 litres with cold water. I presume the kit has adequate bittering, so really just add my hops for flavour and aroma. I've got a similar recipe for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (using a kit as the base) and a Knappstein lager (made with straight malt extract) using Nelson Sauvin hops, which I can post if you're interested.

Good luck with the Monteiths!

Cheers,

Coaster
coaster

Postby Gill » Thursday Oct 27, 2011 2:38 am

Yumm, Fat Yak.
Would upping the hop additions there cause any taste issues? I've of late come to love an IPA, so a more better Fat Yak might suit me well.
Cheers,
Gilly
Gill

Postby earle » Thursday Oct 27, 2011 8:47 am

I bought a 6 pack of fat yak last week and actually found it a bit too sweet for my liking, which made it a bit hard to drink. I did persevere though. From recollection my clone is quite a bit more bitter than the real thing. The AA% of both hops used is quite high but the boil times are quite short so you could add more hops quite easily, could come up a bit more bitter again though.
earle

Return to Recipes