Framboise, Lambic, Kriek recipes?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Framboise, Lambic, Kriek recipes?

Postby Fifey » Sunday Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey blokes, interested in finding out how I would brew the above, recipes in grain, I'm more interested in the mechanics rather than giving it a go in the immediate future.
Fifey

Re: Framboise, Lambic, Kriek recipes?

Postby matr » Sunday Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm

I've always wanted to brew a Lambic but can't bring myself to introduce bugs to my Brewery.

Here is a site full of good info on how to go about it http://www.brewery.org/library/LmbicJL0696.html

Recently I attempted to make something similar but without the bugs. It's CCing now and tastes quite nice.

Recipe can be found here http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8707&p=105531#p105531 I also added 2 jars of pureed Morello Cherries after the 1st week of secondary as it didn't seem to have the "Cherryness" I wanted.

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Postby Fifey » Monday Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

I don't think I'd feel comfortable going 'natural' either. Probably would use one of the special wyeast strains.
Fifey

Postby Tipsy » Monday Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am

I just tasted a mates brew that had soured cherries in it. He just used a standard type yeast (I can't remember what) but it still came out with a nice Kriek like flavour.
Tipsy

Postby matr » Monday Mar 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Fifey wrote:I don't think I'd feel comfortable going 'natural' either. Probably would use one of the special wyeast strains.

Using a Wyeast Lambic strain will still introduce said bugs. If you do, dedicate a fermenter and keep it away from your other brews.

Cheers, Mat
matr

Postby timmy » Tuesday Mar 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Grain & Grape used to stock a Kriek K&K kit that was really tasty - it was expensive but worth it I think.

I find an easy way to brew a nice fruit beer was to brew a basic wheat beer with a neutral yeast (or use the weizen yeast but keep the temps down) and then dump it on some pasteurised fruit in the secondary. I've had good success so far with apricots, blueberries & blackberries. They give the nice sourness, but probably not exactly the same as a lambic. A hell of a lot less effort, though.

I heard another tip on brewing a lambic - brew a fairly standard beer (low hopping rates, low attenuating yeast) and then throw it in the secondary with the dregs from a couple of bottles of lambic. Apparently if you leave it for about a year it starts to develop the lambic character. You will obviously need to find a lambic that is not pasteurised and uses the original yeast for bottling.
timmy

Return to Recipes