Barvarian lager

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Barvarian lager

Postby wrighty » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Happy easter to all,
Havent brewed for a couple of months due to time and other comitments. :( So i picked up a couple of tins whilst out shopping the other day.
A Barvarian lager and N.Z draught.Dont really want to go down the long winding lager road so a fake lager recipie is what im after.
What sort of hop combo would suit these styles? I have some LDME ,Wheat malt ,BE 1 and plan to ivert some sugar. Ideas appreciated.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Re: Barvarian lager

Postby timmy » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Bavarian Lager can + 1/2 kg LDME + 1/2 kg BE1 + some Hallertau or Saaz (boiled with the LDME for 10 mins). Cool to 12 deg and use the kit yeast and ferment at 12-15deg. Should be easy enough.
timmy

Postby barrelboy » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi guys, probably seems a bit dumb but could you tell us how much is "some"?, boil LDME for 10 mins in how much water?, cool to 12 degrees, does this have to cool rapidly? :?:
Thanks, BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby timmy » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Sorry - about 20g should do it..... I realise I haven't given you much info about process, so here goes:

Chill ~15L of water in the fridge if you have the space. This should be in your sanitised fermenter.
Chuck the LDME in the 4L of water and bring to the boil. Add hops and boil (a good rolling boil) for 10 mins
Add the rest of the fermentables (the BE1 and the kit). Dissolve (you can add some of this hot liquid to the empty can to get out any leftovers too)
Drop your pot into a sink of cold water to cool it (10 mins should drop it in temp significantly)
Add to your chilled fermenter
Pitch the kit yeast at about 20 degrees
If you want to ferment at lager temps, put the fermenter in an environment that is ~12degrees (a temp controlled brew fridge or a water bath with ice) and leave for a few weeks. If you're not bothered about temps, leave to ferment at ambient temps.
Leave until fermented out (2 weeks for 20deg, 3-4 weeks at 12deg, but check for completion using your hydrometer)
You can add some more hops (10-20g) at this stage if you like more hop aroma. If so, leave it on the extra hops for a week extra

hope this helps,

Tim
timmy

Postby barrelboy » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks Tim, great help and clear as mud. Will put this to the brew this week.
Ta BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby wrighty » Monday Apr 25, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Tim ,
probably will go with the hallertau as i have used it in brews and enjoyed it. BB to do small boils for hop utilisation should be an s.g
of 1040 . Sorry Tim but 20g wont do this i think its about 100g per litre,im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby billybushcook » Tuesday Apr 26, 2011 7:18 am

He meant 20g of Hops.

Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Return to Recipes