Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby earle » Saturday Nov 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Ha ha that's Dylan Moran not me but in glad you're enjoying the beer. Just back from dinner at the Westbrook Tavern where they had Australian pale ale on tap, not a bad galaxy based pale ale either and better than the usual megaswill offerings.
earle

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Nov 17, 2013 7:24 am

Well, if I ever see Dylan Moran, I will say "g'day Earl" !!
CrookedFingers

Postby Gibbo_aus » Wednesday Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am

I just created my account here to thank Earle for this extract recipe.

It really is a simple one - but most effective. I'm now brewing my 4th batch in 6 weeks. The neighbours keep turning up with their drinking boots on. The kegs don't last long.
Gibbo_aus

Postby earle » Wednesday Jan 29, 2014 7:27 pm

No worries Gibbo, glad you and the neighbours like it.
earle

Postby Oenologystudentprefersbeer » Tuesday Jul 29, 2014 5:46 pm

I've made this extract brew a few times now and it always turns out lovely! I'm going to try the OG version in a few weeks as part of a brewing subject at Uni. Have you had any luck with the refinements you were talking about? I'm going to be making a 60 - 70 L batch and as such will ajdust quantities accordingly.
Thanks for posting such a great recipe Earle!
Oenologystudentprefersbeer

Postby earle » Tuesday Jul 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Glad you're enjoying the recipe. I've actually left the ag recipe as per the recipe posted earlier in this thread. I find the extract version a bit too sweet now and enjoy the ag version much more.
earle

Postby Oenologystudentprefersbeer » Thursday Jul 31, 2014 2:05 pm

earle wrote:Glad you're enjoying the recipe. I've actually left the ag recipe as per the recipe posted earlier in this thread. I find the extract version a bit too sweet now and enjoy the ag version much more.

Excellent, thanks for the advice! I'll be making one of the ag versions in the next couple of weeks for sure along with an amber ale and a try at the MG fancy pants! Can't wait to see how they rurn out :)
Oenologystudentprefersbeer

Postby Skreza » Saturday Nov 22, 2014 8:29 am

Hi All,

I am really new to homebrewing, so new in fact that I have recently made my first batch of homebrew ever and it just so happens to be Earle's Stone & Wood recipe.
Both my wife & I love the S&W Pacific Ale so I thought it only be fitting that this is the first thing I attempt to brew! And it was also a little bargaining power so the wife will let me keep beer in the main fridge as the beer fridge has been re-purposed into the brew fridge lol.

It has been sitting in the brew fridge since Thursday afternoon now and has started bubbling away nicely.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me out with, some related to this recipe and some general questions I guess.

So after the 3 week mark in the fermenter I will be bottling, once bottled should they stay in the brew fridge at the same temperature for the first few weeks?
I know it's generally at least 2 weeks before cracking the first one so after 2 weeks is it safe to then move them all into a cupboard somewhere for longer term storage or should they still be kept at a constant temperature?
Also around this, I believe once you have chilled down to drinking temperature that any further conditioning stops, so I'm guessing you should only chill to drinking temperature as needed and leave the rest to continue conditioning?

Now being new to homebrewing I have read lots about Sanitising. So if after this brew I won't be making another batch for a few weeks should I be cleaning and sanitising everything straight after bottling so it's all ready to go for the next brew? If so should I re-sanitise again right before making the next brew? OR should I just clean now and leave it, then only sanitise everything right before making the next batch?

Sorry for the noob questions but appreciate any help you can provide!

Hopefully I do Earle's recipe justice!!

Cheers!
Skreza

Postby Guru » Saturday Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Skreza and welcome. Earles S&W recipe is a great one and easy to make. I have made it a couple of times myself and it turned out awesome. Best way for me to answer your questions is just say how I ferment and condition my beer.

Normally I ferment in my ferment fridge (around 18 - 20 deg) for 2 weeks. I don't see any need to leave it longer than this as it is usually well and truly finished after this time.

I then bottle and put the bottles in my pantry (about 22 - 24 deg). I don't put them in the ferment fridge as I generally need the room for another brew.

I leave the bottles for at least 2 weeks before trying a sample. Generally this is enough time for them to carbonate and taste ok. If you can resit, then it is better to leave a little longer. I always think my homebrew tastes best around the 3 month mark.

With sanitising, I normally just rinse my bottles when emptied and then sanitise with no-rinse sanitiser just before re-bottling. Same with the fermenter. I make sure it is really clean after I have bottled from it and then sanitise it just before brewing again.

Hope this helps.
Guru

Postby Skreza » Sunday Nov 23, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks very much for the info Guru!!

Well I now have a few weeks wait on my hands I guess, so I will report back come tasting time!
Should be ready for the first taste test just before Christmas.

Thanks again.
Skreza

Postby earle » Wednesday Nov 26, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Skreza,

I agree with what Guru has posted.

Apart from space, your bottles will carb a little quicker in the 22-24 degree range.

Temperature control is most critical during the main active fermentation, that's when there is a higher potential for the yeast to throw "off" flavours if the temp is not kept under control.

Second, after active fermentation while the beer is still sitting on the yeast trub. If you can maintain a good temp the yeast will clean up a bit and settle out for a better, clearer beer. If the temp goes too high during this stage there is a chance the yeast will start to break down and release some bad flavours. I leave my ales at 18 deg for three weeks before bottling. Sometimes a cold crash to really get the yeast to settle.

IMO, temperature during carbing in the bottle is less critical and makes less difference than the above two.

Hope you enjoy your beer.

Cheers
earle

Postby Skreza » Thursday Nov 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Earle,

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will just put the bottles in the laundry cupboard to carb which will leave space in the brew fridge for a batch of something else.

It's been a week since brew day and the airlock has become fairly quiet in the last 24-48 hours so I thought I would check the gravity to see how its going and it looks like its around the 1010 mark (started around 1040) so I think the main active fermentation has passed.

I forgot to pull the S airlock out before opening the tap so I got some water from the S airlock drawn back into the fermenter! Hope this won't cause any issues/infection?? And I can't RDWHAHB either as this is my first homebrew batch ever hahaha! I've read of people using vodka or starsan solution in the airlock should I be doing that in future?

The worst part is, I even had a post-it note stuck just above the tap saying 'Remove airlock before opening tap!' but I clearly overlooked that with the excitement of taking a gravity/smell/taste test! Post-it note has now been moved to being stuck ON the tap!!

It was fairly cloudy in the hydrometer tube but I'm guessing it will clear up some more over the next week or so sitting in the fermenter now that the main fermentation has passed.

Thanks again!
Skreza

Postby earle » Thursday Nov 27, 2014 8:44 pm

I was going to say RDWHAHB. Ha ha

I did that with the airlock when I was starting out too. A few years ago I ditched the lid and airlock. Heaps of people do it. Just use clingwrap and hold it down with the black ring from inside the lid. I bought a roll of the wider clingwrap from the catering supplies.

Yes , the hydro sample will be cloudy. Even before bottling I run some beer from the tap into a bucket to clear the yeast. Then I pour a glass for tasting while I bottle. If you can leave it for about 3 weeks before bottling a lot of the yeast will settle out and not go into the bottle. You'll still get a little sediment from the carbing yeast but it will be much clearer.
earle

Postby Gigantorus » Wednesday Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi, This is my version of this style of brew. It's easy to brew and is quite tasty. Cheers, Pete

Three-Pete Ausmerican Pale Ale
(21 Litres)

Ingredients
• 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
• Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
• 50g Centennial hop pellets
• 50g Amarillo hop pellets
• 50g Galaxy hop pellets
• kit yeast

• Colour: Straw
• Body: Medium
• Bitterness: Medium
• Approx. Alcohol Level: 5.0%

STEP 1: Mix
Make a “hop infusion” by mixing the 20grams of each of the 3 varieties of hops in 2 litres of water just taken off the boil and allow it to steep for 30 mins.
Add the Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 to a sanitised fermenting vessel (FV), pour in the strained infusion (remove/strain the hops) then give the contents a really good stir & mix well until the malt is dissolved.
Mix in the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit.
Top up to the 21 litre mark with cold water, stir thoroughly.
Take Original Gravity (OG) reading and record.
Sprinkle the kit yeast then fit the lid.
STEP 2: Brew
Try to ferment toward 24C (fermenting warmer is more likely to produce fruity esters). Leave brew in Fermenter for 14 days (dry-hop for the last 7 days).
Fermentation has finished once the specific gravity is stable over 2 days.
Dry-hop with the remaining 30grams of each hop for the final 7 days.
Prime & Bottle after 14 days. Drink after 3 weeks in the bottle.
Gigantorus

Postby Linshan » Sunday Dec 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm new to brewing and have tried a few different ales.
One day I was out with some friends and ordered a Stone and Wood. It quickly became my favourite beer.
Now my mission was to find out how I could make it for myself.
After a quick internet search I found this forum page.
Thanks to Earles recipe I have found out how to make it!
I was amazed at how close to the real deal this recipe is!
I am now brewing this for the third time in a row, back to back!
The ingredients and method is so simple but effective.
Thanks again Earle, and to Oliver for posting it.
Bottoms up!
Linshan

Postby Linshan » Sunday Dec 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Gibbo_aus wrote:I just created my account here to thank Earle for this extract recipe.

It really is a simple one - but most effective. I'm now brewing my 4th batch in 6 weeks. The neighbours keep turning up with their drinking boots on. The kegs don't last long.

Hi Gibbo,

I too created my account to say thanks to Earle

Thanks Earle,your recipe is a ripper!
Linshan

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Glad your enjoying it.
earle

Postby Guys » Thursday Jan 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Hey Earle et al,

Made this recipe up for the 1st time ... It was terrible!

Only joking - it was really good. :-) I think it is certainly very similar to the real deal. One of my friends said that they hated home brew but "this is better than what you get from a shop".

Great work.
Guys

Postby chubs1988 » Monday Feb 02, 2015 7:29 am

hey Earle just an easy question what equipment are you using for your brews, im new to the game and have been given a basic kit as a gift, i live in scotland but was travelling in oz in 2012 when i came across stone and wood, ive hunted high and low for it in the uk but suppliers are always out of stock, hope this recipe is as close as everyone makes out if so il be a very happy scotsman.
chubs1988

Postby gobac » Monday Feb 02, 2015 11:11 am

Hi,

I would just like to thank you for this recipe. I made my second ever batch according to this and added 20g of Amarillo before closing the fermenter and dry hopped with 20gr on day 5. The beer turned out phenomenal so much so that I have mates asking to buy a carton of my next batch.

So thank you Earle very much. You have certainly kept me addicted to brewing
gobac

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes