Weizen Partial

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Weizen Partial

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 06, 2011 8:55 am

I mentioned doing a partial a while ago and promised Oliver I would post some details and results once I had tasted the finished product. I use spec malts most of the time, and also steep small quantities of malts that you would normally mash for their flavour. This was my first attempt at an actual mash.

It was about the most half-assed partial that you could imagine. 1kg pale wheat malt added to 3L 75C water so that the temp came back to 72C. Wrapped in a blanket in an esky for an hour. Temp dropped by 10C over the hour. No hydrometer readings were taken at any stage. Sparged/rinsed with some more water. Boiled the resultant liquor and then added to my normal weizen recipe which is Wheat Kit + 1.5kg liquid wheat malt extract + WB06. Fermented at 17C. Was more of an experiment in how well the temp would hold for the mash in the esky given that my gas stove top is rubbish.

I will probably get a bit more technical when I use a partial for an ale but for this wheaty I was just looking to add a bit more flavour. It does show how easy a partial can be though, for those who are looking for ways to improve their beers.

Have had a few samples of this beer and it is defintely an improvement with the partial. Pleanty of body and wheaty taste, the yeast comes through more clove than banana as a result of the fermentation temp.

Made some steamed mussels with a bottle last weekend and they were great, accompanied with more of the same beer.
earle

Re: Weizen Partial

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 08, 2011 11:52 am

earle wrote:It was about the most half-assed partial that you could imagine.

It sure sounds like it!

Thanks for the update, Earle. I've done three partials now and I will be doing my first AG (or AGs, hopefully) in the week before Christmas using my new Birko urn.

It's a slippery slope ...

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Weizen Partial

Postby earle » Thursday Dec 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Oliver wrote:It's a slippery slope ...

Seems to be, I might be moving next year so I've been holding off on equipment purchases.
earle

Return to Recipes