Little creature Big Dipper Clone

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Little creature Big Dipper Clone

Postby rahne » Thursday Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

A mate of tried the big dipper at a pub in fremantle. By the time i had a chance to buy some they had sold out because it was only a single batch. Then i noticed in the western australian the had named it beer of the year so I decided to have a crack at making it.
The paper tells me that it has an alcohol percentage of 7.8% and a btu of 55 and that the hops are Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, Stella, Centennial, Citra and Simcoe. It also says has a grape fruit smell and a passion fruit, citrus and pine nut taste plus a big malt backed bitter aftertaste. on a review site they said the colour is 24 EBC which i worked out to be a srm of 12.192. This is the recipe i came up with

Big Dipper clone ipa
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 8.800
Total Hops (g): 105.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.078 (°P): 18.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.018 (°P): 4.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.86 %
Colour (SRM): 12.2 (EBC): 24.0
Bitterness (IBU): 55.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
8.000 kg Pale Malt (90.91%)
0.400 kg Crystal 120 (4.55%)
0.400 kg Dextrose (4.55%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Stella Pellet (15.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

i haven't chosen a mash temp or a yeast yet. I'm am new to all grain brewing and am after some advise or even a recipe you might choose
"What you put flowers in your beer" " Yep, the more flowers the better"
rahne

Re: Little creature Big Dipper Clone

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Dec 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Whilst I found the actual beer on tap a little bit underwhelming this doesn't look too bad.

personal prefference is for the IBU's to be up there a bit more especially with nearly half a kg of crystal. You can mash a bit higher to keep a bit more body seeing you are putting in the dex. Not a fan of the dex addition though but again personal preff. I add a bit more cara munich II or similar grain to add a bit of more malt.

The late hopping looks and pretty similar to one of my ipas. The only exception is I use magnum as the bittering addition and hit it with a big lot of dry hops with some more late additions than you have too :)~

Just use a decent amount of yeast or a big ass starter and you'll be fine. I'd say with a bit more attenuation you will go below the 1.018 and end up with a stronger beer and maybe a little unbalanced with the lower IBU.
chadjaja

Return to Recipes