Honey Ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Honey Ale

Postby BrewersApprentice » Saturday Jun 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey Guys ive just just done my 1st Honey Ale
I boiled the honey with the 2lt water that the kit says to mix the sugars with was boiling the honey the right method or should I just drop it in the fermenter next time??

Cheers all, :)
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Honey Ale

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Jun 02, 2012 8:06 pm

When I've used honey before I just have thrown it into the boil for about the last 10 minutes and it's always worked well.
bullfrog

Re: Honey Ale

Postby barls » Saturday Jun 02, 2012 10:15 pm

never boil the honey as you kill the aromatics.
personally id ether steep at 80 degrees or chemically sanitise.
i ether add it at flame out or in the fermentor with part of a camden tablet then leave for 24 hours.
barls

Postby BrewersApprentice » Saturday Jun 02, 2012 10:50 pm

barls wrote:never boil the honey as you kill the aromatics.

Hmmmm wel I screwed that then lol smelt nice tho :lol:
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Honey Ale

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Jun 03, 2012 1:29 am

I've never had trouble with lack of honey aroma tossing it into the boil. My wife's mead, which gets boiled for an hour, is very aromatic too.

Horses for courses, of course, and not saying that Barls' advice isn't worth taking on-board, but don't go worrying about it; I'm sure you still will have a decent honey ale on your hands. And maybe next time just try steeping it and compare the two end products.
bullfrog

Postby barls » Sunday Jun 03, 2012 7:07 pm

your right its not a major point. its one of those things that is argued on the mead forums. some boil, some dont.then there is the ones who add it in the secondary to stop it from being scrubbed out by the co2
try both ways and see what you prefer.
i find that the one time i boiled i got a lot of aroma off it while boiling. i figure if i can smell it coming out its not staying in the liquid hence reducing whats left in there.
my braggots (beer/ mead cross) are all ether added to the fermentor or to the cube and then sealed. its just one of those things im pedantic about. im the same with the so called rules about not using eucalyptus honeys. i find they are some of the best honeys in the world.
barls

Return to Recipes