Coopers Aus Pale Ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Coopers Aus Pale Ale

Postby BrewersApprentice » Wednesday Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

hey all im lookin to do a pale ale I have Us05 yeast and im gonna grab the coopers can but id like to ask what sugars should I use the can recommends coopers b.e.2 but has any1 got an opinion on what would be better
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Re: Coopers Aus Pale Ale

Postby Bum » Wednesday Jun 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Ordinarily I'd say add a kilo of LDME (light dry malt extract) instead but that kit isn't very bitter so the malt would end up a bit too sweet, IMO. BE2 would probably be the go if you're not adding any further bitterness with hops.
Bum

Postby Guru » Thursday Jun 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Coopers PA can and BE2 together make a pretty good beer that is pretty close to the commercial variety. If that's what your after then go with the BE2 and leave it at that.
Guru

Postby ashy » Monday Jun 25, 2012 10:00 pm

The Coopers Pale Ale is my stock standed brew and comes out fine each time. Once enough of that in the cupboard then I try a few different things.

Coopers pale ale can - use their yeast as it comes from SA fairly fresh no major temp difference. Prior to starting anything disolve about a one a a half tea spoons of suger in boiling water. Add cold water until tepid and there is approx 100 - 125 ml of water. Add yeast and swirl the glass until yeast covered and cover with glad wrap. This will activate the yeast and cut the fermentation starting time down by a long way. Go about your normal sanitising and preparation with the wort. Add the yeast as normal at the end. I normally squirt some of the brew into the glass to get the last remaining parts of the yeast out

The rest of the ingrediants I put in are a 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhencer 2, approx 300 grams of extra dextrose and some hops if you like. Combine as you like. At the moment a mate down here has been growing his own hops so I have been boiling up the flowers, straining and adding to the brew. The beer is still quite good without the hops but it does add a bit of extra flavour

Comes out about 5% each time. This all comes out at about twenty bucks a pop - cheapest and easiest one I have found for a stock pile
ashy

Postby BrewersApprentice » Tuesday Jun 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Cool im gonna bottle the batch I got on now on the weekend then next ill try with the dex and compare as Coopers pale ale is my favourite beer id like to perfect a brew and also the longys bottles I use are from the pales so im gonna send em home lol thanks for your advise :mrgreen:
BrewersApprentice

Postby ashy » Tuesday Jun 26, 2012 10:26 pm

I only ever use glass bottles - mostly Coopers long necks with crown seals but a few screw caps as well along with the larger capped champagne/wine bottles. To sanitise the bottles I use nothing but boiling water as long as the bottles have been cleaned prior (washed out). Two kettles at the same time and it is done in a short period. Just put a small amount in the bottom of the bottle, swirl around and empty. You may need gloves as the bottles get hot. Should kill anything in there. i use boiling water for all my sanitising and have never had a problem. A bit of water gets splashed around but I have an outside area to use where it doesn't matter. Using sanitising solutions can affect the head retention on the beer. Each to their own though and find what works best for you
ashy

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am

Ashy28 wrote: Using sanitising solutions can affect the head retention on the beer.

Don't think so :shock:
Tipsy

Postby BrewersApprentice » Wednesday Jun 27, 2012 10:12 am

Ashy28 wrote: Using sanitising solutions can affect the head retention on the beer.

i personally use bleach in hot water and let soak over night then rinse, as i clean and rinse my bottles as i finish a beer cos when i got the pale ale long necks from a mate it took sooooo long to clean :evil: and i so dont wanna do that again lol
BrewersApprentice

Coopers Aus Pale Ale

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Jun 27, 2012 10:50 am

Tipsy wrote:

Don't think so :shock:

Unless we're calling standard dishwashing detergent a 'sanitising solution,' I suppose.

Also, I didn't think much of the advice to add boiling water to glass. I personally found when bottling that boiling water greatly decreases the lifespan of the glass. If it doesn't smash immediately from the heat, it certainly gets weakened drastically. Anything that increases risk of bottle bombs is bad news, in my book.
bullfrog

Postby ashy » Thursday Jun 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Take your point about the sanitising solution. Just haven't used any for years to be honest. I have never had a problem with my boiling water method and each to their own I guess. No bottles have ever broken in the ten years of doing it this way. Happy brewing to all :D
ashy

Coopers Aus Pale Ale

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jun 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Clearly using thicker glass than I used to! :)
bullfrog

Postby MJ » Wednesday Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Just thought I'd share my recipe for Coopers pale ale. I'm pretty sure I got it from this forum a long time ago.
Coopers Pale Ale can
500g LDME
500g Dex
500g Homebrand honey
20g Cascade pellets dry hopped.
Very good.
MJ

Return to Recipes