SNPA Trough Lolly's partial, Help please, over order grain

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

SNPA Trough Lolly's partial, Help please, over order grain

Postby Damn » Saturday Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi,

I know, feeling a bit like the Jerry Lewis of brewers. I just stuffed my order for grain in my attempt to do Trough Lolly's Partial SNPA.

search.php?keywords=Partial&t=4839&sf=msgonly

The grain order was as follows

1.8kg Pale Ale malt
300g Weyermann Carapils
300g Pale Munich Malt
200g Pale Crystal malt
200g Pale Wheat malt

Well.......I also ordered 500g Briess Caramel 60L for another recipe I was going to try. When I ordered this to be crushed online I was asked if this was "all together" which I thought meant as one order in individual separate bags not all together in one bag. Well I got this whopping big bag.

Can I rescue this grain? Maybe create some sort of hybrid of the SNPA?

I'm going to reorder the Briess Caramel for the other recipe. Your thoughts please. Thanks all.
Damn

Re: SNPA Trough Lolly's partial, Help please, over order gra

Postby Bum » Saturday Oct 20, 2012 6:14 pm

If you up the IBU a chunk and build up the OG with dex you might be able to balance it out but, frankly, as designed that recipe appears to have a lot of spec grain. I think you'd have trouble balancing out the extra grain. Still do it and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Also, that recipe doesn't look much like SNPA to me. I'm sure it'll be nice though (if you can get the IBU up to balance extra spec grain).
Bum

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Oct 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Time to think laterally.

Order another 4Kg of Ale malt, MO, GP or whatever takes your fancy. Add it to your original order and mix well, then divide into thirds. Make your original recipe (in terms of hop quantities in IBU and late hop weights, mash temp etc.) three times with different hop combo's to see which you prefer.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Bum » Saturday Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a real good'un.
Bum

Postby big dave » Saturday Oct 20, 2012 8:36 pm

emnpaul wrote:Time to think laterally.

Order another 4Kg of Ale malt, MO, GP or whatever takes your fancy. Add it to your original order and mix well, then divide into thirds. Make your original recipe (in terms of hop quantities in IBU and late hop weights, mash temp etc.) three times with different hop combo's to see which you prefer.

I was going to say something similar, but not so clever. Good plan.
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Damn » Sunday Oct 21, 2012 5:03 pm

If I mix the 4kg pale ale malt I will have the 3 mixes of the following grain.

Ok..... I will first try this based on TL's partial recipe.

search.php?keywords=Partial&t=4839&sf=msgonly

I didn't notice any LDMe in this recipe, does it need it?

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale (or Australian Draught) kit

Grains
1.93kg Pale Ale Malt (Joe White/Maltcraft Traditional Ale)
100g BestMalz Carapils
100g Joe White/Maltcraft LIght Munich
67g Joe White/Maltcraft Cara
67g Joe White/Maltcraft Malted Wheat
167g 60L Briess caramel

Steep the cracked grains in 5.6L 66C for an hour (in a 10L esky). Sparge this mash with addtional 66C water into a large pot bringing up to 12L.

Ver 1.
20g Chinook Pellets 12.4% A/A 60 mins
20g Amarillo Pellets 8.9% A/A 15 mins
16g Cascade Pellets 6.3% A/A at flameout/end of boil

Add 1.7kg Coopers Pale kit to kettle at the end of boil - gently stir through to mix (don't make bubbles or you'll oxidise the boiling hot wort and chill the boil in an ice bath. Rack to fermenter when you get below 24C and add pre-boiled / chilled water (use 2L PET bottles) until you get to the starting gravity (around 1.055). Pitch yeast at no higher than 22 degrees C. US-05 is the best dry yeast for this and seal...

I may use a slow chill method covering my kettle with glad wrap till the following morning then pitch my yeast.

Ver 2.
12.5g Nelson Sauvin 15mins
12.5g Nelson Sauvin 5mins
12.5g Cascade at flameout
12.5g Cascade day 4 dry hop.

Ver 3.

15g Magnum 60mins
15g Pearle 30mins
15g Cascade 10mins
15g Cascade flameout.
Damn

Postby Damn » Sunday Oct 21, 2012 5:10 pm

On the other hand I'd be quite happy to swap the original grain bag for 3 long necks anyones 2nd finest ale. From Olinda to East Bentleigh victoria.

I'm quite prepared to try these three or any adjustments you may suggest.
Damn

Postby emnpaul » Sunday Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm

It seems as though you're either over thinking it or just worrying unnecessarily (casual observation, not having a go at all). I was the same when I went from kits to partial and then from partial to all grain. Don't worry, it stresses the yeast and displaces alcohol in clouding your judgement. :D

Trough Lolly's recipe will get you close to a SNPA but I doubt the Sierra Nevada brewery uses a Cooper's APA kit so there's seriously no point obsessing over minute details. There is more than one way to skin a skunk and ten times more ways to make an APA but at the end of the day they all make beer. Some better than others but beer none the less.

The recipe doesn't need any LDME. The Cooper's kit provides that in liquid form. It will also provide bitterness. As for the figures of exactly 67g of spec. malts and 1.93Kg ale malt, do you think you could taste the difference between 60, 70 or 80g of wheat or cara malt? A litlte bit of rounding is not an issue, it's really not that crucial to the outcome.

Don't stress about making a few bubbles when stirring hot wort. Just don't thrash around in there like a bag of cats and you'll be right. Hot side aeration is more of an issue when tipping hot wort into your fermentor but even then probably overstated. The slow chill method with the glad wrap will work fine.

P.S. My second finest ale is a lager and I'm a long way from Bentleigh. :D
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Bum » Monday Oct 22, 2012 7:23 am

Hey, Damn.

Looks like all three recipes will make a nice beer and will be a great way to show you how different brews can be with seemingly minor changes.

For my money, if you double both cascade additions, the third recipe will get you closest to SNPA (it'll still be a good beer as is). I have no clue why Trough Lolly (nor so many people in the thread where you got the original recipe) thinks his attempt is like that beer. Having said that, his recipe pre-dates local distribution.
Bum

Return to Recipes