1492 APA

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

1492 APA

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday Oct 16, 2013 7:19 pm

This is the recipe for the beer I sent to Oliver for Christmas in July Lotto. He seemed to like it.

1492 IPA (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 7.04 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 63.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

72.04% Pale Ale Malt (Barret Burston)
8.58% Biscuit (Dindgy Man's)
8.58% Wheat Malt (Weyermann)
7.72% Liquid Malt Extract - Rice (Pure Harvest (from Coles))
3.09% White Sugar (Priming)

2.7 g/L Centennial (9.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
9.1 g/L Columbus (Flowers)(Alpha Unknown) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.5 g/L Columbus (Flowers)(Alpha Unknown) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)
1.0 g/L Amarillo (Pellets)(10.6% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)
1.0 g/L Caascade(Pellets)(5.7% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)

0.1 g/L Polyclar @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Multi-step Infusion at 66 for 45 minutes, 72 for 15 minutes and mash-out 78 for 10 minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I really love Ballast Point, Big Eye IPA, but I sometimes find it a bit hard to finish a second stubby as it's pretty full on. Nice, certainly, but also a challenge on a hot day or when a bit parched. The idea behind this recipe was to brew a slightly less cloying, that is, more easy drinking version of the style while retaining that big, hoppy finish. I'm not sure that was achieved, in terms of hop finish, but I do think it is a reasonably drinkable, de-tuned version of an IPA. Somewhat similar to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if Oliver's review is anything to go by. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11051&start=60

A few notes on the recipe itself. Columbus are homegrown flowers. Obviously these will be hard to come by unless you are growing them yourself like I am. To add the required amount to this beer I ended up having to use a grain bag as a hop sock. When I washed it out post brew I realised most of the lipulin had remained trapped in the grain bag. The napi-san turned yellow. I am also a bit dubious about the age and storage conditions of the flowers I had, i.e. not the freshest, so subbing 90g of pellets for the 0 minute addition would be a good starting point. Not knowing the alpha content of my home grown hops the IBU figure is a stab in the dark only.

The additions are all calculated for no chill on my system. As you'll be brewing on your system I'll leave it to you to judge how far to move them, if at all.

Whirlfloc and Polyclar is actually Brewbrite.

I don't usually use finings in the fermentor on my beers but this one copped some gelatine as I find US-05 just a bit too poor flocculating for my taste.

You might want to consider removing the liquid rice malt and adding a lower temp mash step for 10 or 15 minutes instead.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Recipes