Hoppy American Pale Ale - Hop Suggestions

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Hoppy American Pale Ale - Hop Suggestions

Postby Pogierob » Sunday Feb 23, 2014 8:59 pm

I am currently brewing a
Set of SMaSH beers to gain a better understanding of what I'm doing and the base ingredients, so this is right up my alley.

Love idea of two the same and one different.
Pogierob

Postby barls » Sunday Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm

ive got to disagree i do adjust for no chilling but mainly its when i add my hops. mine is nothing in the pot after 15 minute and it works for me.
i also first wort hop but thats a whole another kettle of fish.
the main thing is every system is different and you need to find what works for you on yours.
barls

Postby Pogierob » Sunday Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm

CrookedFingers wrote:How many taste tests would it take to get blind ?

Considering dr smurto is suggesting we have nine glasses of beer each, I guess it's up to us to decide the size of said glass.
Pogierob

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

T.I. Donovan,

Coming in late here, but I would suggest not trying to overdo things with different varieties of hops in the same brew when you're starting out (or, arguably, ever).

That'll help you get a feel for what you like. It won't be possible if you put five different hops in the beer because you won't be able to tell which is which.

As Pogierob is doing with his SMaSH (single malt and single hop) beers, keep things simple and you will get a better understanding of what contributes to your beer. There's no reason why simple can't be superb!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Gigantorus » Thursday Dec 18, 2014 10:28 am

Simcoe is a great one to use in a single hop brew - particularly an American style ale.

I used Simcoe in a small batch (8.5 Litre) quite a few months back. Recipe went something like: 1 x can of Coopers Real Ale, water and 100 grams of Simcoe pellets for dry-hop. Simply mixed real ale can with 2 litres of water just off the boil, let it cool in sink ice bath for 15 mins, then added to fermenter, top-up with water to 8.5L mark. Brew was left in fermenter for total of 21 days - I dry-hopped with whole 100 grams of simcoe for the last 7 days. 2 important points to mention though: (1) fermentation/krausen in first 2 to 3 days will be extreme. So be ready for it. I wasn't and it cracked the tap on the FV. I've since made an extra & larger outlet fitting on the fermenter's lid, which I connect a 20mm hose into a half-filled bucket of water below it, which acts as my air-lock and krausen over-flow tube. (2) At 21 day mark the brew will be really hoppy. I recommend you leave it alow for 3 to 4 weeks in the bottle - in that time it will mellow very nicely and become a wonderful brew, albeit and potent one - not sure what the ABV was (I didn't take an OG reading) but think was around 6% - One small glass saw me feeling really relaxed :-) . Will be making another one of these over the Xmas break.

Cheers, Pete
Gigantorus

Postby CrookedFingers » Thursday Dec 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Second for Simcoe here.
My favourite.
CrookedFingers

Postby Gigantorus » Monday Apr 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Recently did an American pale ale and used 50grams each of Amarillo, Cascade and Simcoe. The 3 classic hops for an Am. pale ale.
Gigantorus

Previous

Return to Recipes