Which pilsner kit? Coopers or Morgans?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Which pilsner kit? Coopers or Morgans?

Postby Barnesy83 » Sunday Oct 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi,

My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread but I am trying to choose a pilsner kit. I am currently looking at the Thomas Coopers Pilsner and the Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner.

I do not want to lager at this stage as I don't want to wait that long.

This is what I am currently considering doing:

Thomas Coopers Pils/Morgans Golden Saaz Pils
1 kg of LDME
20g of saaz boiled for 10 mins
us05 yeast fermented @16-18 degrees

Thanks
Barnesy83

Re: Which pilsner kit? Coopers or Morgans?

Postby SaazGorilla » Monday Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi Barnesy,

For my lagers, I use Thomas Coopers Pilsner kits exclusively. I've tried others like the Coopers Euro Lager from time to time, but I always go back to that faithful black tin with the welcoming blue ribbon. I've not had that much of a reason to extend my horizons further so I'm hoping others will chip in about what Pilsner tins they use. I could probably do with a change to be honest.

I notice you're using US05, presumably you're choosing that because of temperature concerns, but that is an ale yeast. It won't cause you a problem, I've used it myself with Thomas Coopers Pilsner kit to make a kolsch - turned out pretty good! Normally, I use a lager yeast and ferment at 10-12 degrees.

You'll definitely need more hops. Doing tins over the years, I've found that with more hops you can cover/mask the dreaded 'kit twang' that so many people talk about. Try 20g for 20 minutes, 20g for 10 mins. If you're feeling brave try another 10 or 15g at either flameout or dry hop (if you're into dry hopping). 55g total hops is now my minimum for any lagers and pale ales I brew.
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Return to Recipes