more than just a stout

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby ausdag » Saturday Oct 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Well, I tested my hydrometre in water which my adhesive thermometre read as being approximately 20degC and it read 980. I was doubly careful to check that I had the hydrometre floating properly just to make sure it wasn't the method of measurement.

Cheers,

DavidG
ausdag

Postby Simo » Sunday Oct 09, 2005 12:14 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought this is somewhat relevant.
When making a stout how long should you let it age for in order to obtain the best results? I remember reading somewhere that 6 months is the way to go but I don't know how true this is.

cheers.
Simo

Postby ausdag » Sunday Oct 09, 2005 3:27 pm

Depends on how much of a connoisseur you are. Some here will tell you that any beer can be drunk anytime after about three weeks, others will disagree. I've read it here that stouts are more able to be drunk earlier than other beers. If you're like me, you won't have many bottles left after a couple of months :D

Cheers,

DavidG
ausdag

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Oct 09, 2005 8:45 pm

Ausdag

I be drinking mine 20 min after kegging :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby ausdag » Monday Oct 10, 2005 6:49 am

Dogger,

Does drinking the contents of the hydrometre test tube count? If so, I'm drinking mine before it's finished fermenting :D

Cheers,

DavidG
ausdag

Postby undercover1 » Monday Oct 10, 2005 8:36 am

undercover1 wrote:My stout for next winter is going on tonight:
-Coopers stout tin
-300g jar of black cherry jam- the good stuff
-100g Cadbury's cocoa powder
-Brewmaster stout bag- dried malt, maltodex, dex & liquorice powder, I forget the exact proportions
-Fistful of rolled oats
All to be boiled/simmered in 5l of water for 15 mins, then strained & cooled, topped up to 20l
Plan to rack after about 10 days, then bottle when SG is steady & leave as long as possible.

The junior brew assistant & I put this down on Friday night.
The smell from the brewpot was incredible. We pitched the yeast a little early, and decided to pack the fermenter in ice to get the temperature down- on Saturday morning we had krausen nearly 2 inches thick & constant bubbles from the airlock.
Brew assistant is my 5 year old daughter, enjoys helping out, & this time she asked to lick the paddle after the boil. Then she filled most of the cider bottles while I capped. Handy.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 10, 2005 8:57 am

UC1

That can't help but be good, I may give one a go myself

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby ausdag » Wednesday Oct 12, 2005 6:58 am

Well, aften an FG of 1012 constant over three days and a 'clear' brew I bottled it up last night using only 1 carb drop per long neck. It smelled gooood. I'm not into doing the racking thing at this stage of my brewing career; no matter. Can't wait to try it.

Cheers,
DavidG
ausdag

Postby undercover1 » Wednesday Oct 12, 2005 8:30 am

Sampled this yesterday, from the hydrometer tube- thinks it is going to be excellent. I think I will bulk prime with dex boiled up with some more cherry jam or syrup.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Oct 12, 2005 9:07 am

I would use syrup, I think there may be enough fruit and besides, I personally think that adding fruit at the priming stage is a bit late

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby undercover1 » Wednesday Oct 12, 2005 12:36 pm

I think it needs more cherry, chocolate is all there though.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby undercover1 » Monday Oct 17, 2005 11:19 am

Racked this on Saturday, tasting great out of the hydrometer tube, looks and smells the absolute business. Will be bottled this week, cannot wait for it to mature up in the bottle.
Interesting yeast cake- full of cocoa. Also tasted great.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby tcc » Monday Oct 17, 2005 10:31 pm

someone on this forum a while back suggested a cooper's stout and a cooper's dark ale and nothing else - i gave this a go and it turned out very nice

apart from using safale instead of the regular yeast, can anyone suggest any further improvements for this recipe?
tcc

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 4:55 am

The Coopers Stout and Coopers Old Dark Ale makes a very fine stout. My suggestion is to use a lager yeast to reduce the amount of goop that foams out the top of the fermenter. Can also try 150gm of choclate grain steeped or 50 to 100 gm of black grain also steeped. A golding hop wouldn't hurt either - just tea cup the hop bag.

But just the two cans, yeast as supplied and water to 22ltrs will give you a stout to enjoy, and with an absolute minimum of effort too.

Cheers,
Greg.
gregb

Postby peterd » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 11:25 am

tcc,
add some liquorice essence.
I make this one occasionally (just the two can and the essence: I believe it doesn't need additional grains or hops)
peterd

Sometimes I sits and drinks, and sometimes I just sits
(with apologies to Satchel Paige)
peterd

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 12:04 pm

Peterd, agree that the Coopers two can job doesn't need any additions. All it really needs is a bottle opener and a nice clean pint glass.

Cheers,
Greg.
gregb

Postby stevem » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm

I made one of those Coopers 2 can stouts as well. It does need a bit of time in the bottle. Mine is about 6 months old now and just beginning to mellow.
Cheers
Steve
stevem

Postby Bruiser » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 3:36 pm

I bought a can of the coopers stout, but forgot to get sugars...had an out of date Morgans Bitter can in the garage, so used that instead (pitched the Stout yeast, chucked the other) and ended up with an awesome stout. Was very smoky at first, but is maturing along nicely. Might put a few extra hops next time but was an experiment that I'll be doing again.
Bruiser

Postby tcc » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 8:21 pm

thanks for the advice guys

might get one going this summer if i can get my brewfridge setup
tcc

Postby ausdag » Tuesday Oct 25, 2005 7:15 am

Well, it's been two weeks exactly since I bottled my brew as per first post (Coopers Stout Kit + 1kg Light Dry Malt) FG 1012. Being the impatient one that I am, coupled with a guy at work wanting to know when he can try a bottle, I did what many of you would deem unthinkable and cracked a bottle last night, ie, two-week-bottling-anniversary-eve.

Aye aye aye....if that is what it tastes like as an immature stout, I can't wait to taste it further down the track!!! Nicely carbonated (one carb drop per long neck), reasonble head (died away a little too soon), flavour still a bit 'green' (to be expected) but a very nice lingering bitterness at the back of the palate. I'm wrapped.

Good thing I took Oliver's advice and started simple. Now to work my way up into bigger and better ones.

Cheers,

DavidG
ausdag

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes