Belgian Strong ale recipes

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Belgian Strong ale recipes

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Jan 25, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm down to my last six-pack of my batch based (loosely) on this recipe. All who try it just want more.

I am going to make more. But, I will probably use more choc malt and mini-mash it. The next batch will probably be a tiny one, but the one after that will be a direct AG conversion, possibly using BB Ale malt.

If you're into this sort of thing, this particular recipe is a no-brainer, IMHO.

Thanks to lethaldog!
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Boonie » Saturday Jan 26, 2008 2:40 pm

SpillsMostOfIt wrote:I'm down to my last six-pack of my batch based (loosely) on this recipe. All who try it just want more.

I am going to make more. But, I will probably use more choc malt and mini-mash it. The next batch will probably be a tiny one, but the one after that will be a direct AG conversion, possibly using BB Ale malt.

If you're into this sort of thing, this particular recipe is a no-brainer, IMHO.

Thanks to lethaldog!

Thanks for bringing this one back up Spills....

Lethal, If I cannot get hold of Black Grain, would it matter so much or could I use some Dark Dry Malt instead?

I've been struggling to make a "great" beer with all my experimenting, you know one that you sit back and go....mmm awesome, I'll post that :D , and as I said, I'm glad Spills started this back up as it is next on my hitlist now.....

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Jan 26, 2008 2:56 pm

On the grain thing well i guess thats up to you, with the amount used it only really adds a bit of colour anyways but in saying that you would be able to order online if you really wanted to and as far as really great beer goes i hate to say it ( not really :lol: ) and i no ill get slammed for it but AG is the only way i know of ( from experience) to produce really exceptional beers, i was always happy with my kit beers till i tried my first AG and now i just cant go back :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby TommyH » Saturday Jan 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Just served this up to a few guests at my Australia Day Party.
One guy ( a dry/blonde drinker) couldn;t handle it.Another thought it was one of the best beers he has tasted.
I did use about 60g choc in it to give it a darker colour. Next time I might even use 100g.
All in all, this is a great recipe.
And thanks once again to leathal.
I might get in to AG soon.

Cheers

Tommy
TommyH

Postby Boonie » Sunday Jan 27, 2008 2:02 pm

lethaldog wrote:On the grain thing well i guess thats up to you, with the amount used it only really adds a bit of colour anyways but in saying that you would be able to order online if you really wanted to and as far as really great beer goes i hate to say it ( not really :lol: ) and i no ill get slammed for it but AG is the only way i know of ( from experience) to produce really exceptional beers, i was always happy with my kit beers till i tried my first AG and now i just cant go back :wink:

I'm getting there....I have my kegs and will definitely end up AG, but time is not on my side at the moment.

I have a 19 litre pot but want a larger one......I think I'll go the esky for the grain and then drain into the saucepan with a max batch size of 18-19 litres.....

Would work out OK with the Kegs being only 19 litres too.

I have plenty of Kits left before I go AG.

Back on topic, I think this brew sounds awesome from all the + feedback.

Cheers Lethal

Boonie
Boonie

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jan 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Boonie wrote: have my kegs and will definitely end up AG, but time is not on my side at the moment.
I have a 19 litre pot but want a larger one......I think I'll go the esky for the grain and then drain into the saucepan with a max batch size of 18-19 litres.....
Would work out OK with the Kegs being only 19 litres too.
I have plenty of Kits left before I go AG.
Boonie

Boonie, why not just go for the Esky at the moment, a 25 litre jobbie will do the business, particually if you only want 19 litre batches, but a 35 litre one would be better.
Drain the wort into one of your beloved racking bins, and do your boil in 2 stages in your 19 litre pot, i.e. half the wort, half the hops, half the Irish Moss etc, then drain into your fermenter for your usual 19 litre batch.
I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the quality of your beer. Kit or extract beers can be very good, and better than almost any commercial beers, but as Lethal pointed out, once you cross to the dark side of AG, you will never look back.
Live dangerously. After all, your job takes care of all the safeguard issues, you don't need those in your brewing life as well. :D :D :D :D
warra48

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Sunday Jan 27, 2008 9:14 pm

lethaldog wrote:On the grain thing well i guess thats up to you, with the amount used it only really adds a bit of colour anyways but in saying that you would be able to order online if you really wanted to and as far as really great beer goes i hate to say it ( not really :lol: ) and i no ill get slammed for it but AG is the only way i know of ( from experience) to produce really exceptional beers, i was always happy with my kit beers till i tried my first AG and now i just cant go back :wink:

I hear stories of extract beers winning BOS in those competition things.

For me though, I love the process of making beer from grain. I don't need any more motivation than that. I'll probably use some chocolate malt in my next one to give a little colour and just a touch of flavour.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Re:

Postby Boonie » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 10:10 am

lethaldog wrote:ldme 2.3kg
black grain (crushed) 30g
soft dark brown sugar 400g
blended honey 250g
bittering hops hallertau 40g
bittering hops goldings 20g
if you can get hold of a bottle of chimay blue label then make a starter out of it but if not just use a good ale yeast eg. safale or wyeast abbey ale
final volume 15litres

boil all ingredients for 40 min then strain and adjust to 15 litres with cold water, wait to pitch yeast untill it reaches 25*c.

sit back and crack a cold one as usuall :lol: :lol:

Well mine is cooking as I type

I did
LDME 1kg
Liquid Extra Pale Malt 1.5kg used this because I thought I had another 2kg at home but it was Wheat Malt :evil:
black grain (crushed) 80g Edit....In pot at 66 degrees celcius for 1 hour, strained and sparged into pot
soft dark brown sugar 400g
Yellowbox honey 250g
bittering hops hallertau 38g....again, all I had
bittering hops goldings 20g
Safale S04 yeast
final volume will be 15litres

Smell lovely :D

Cheers Lethal, hope it comes out Ok.....I will struggle to keep temp low, do you think will this affect it too much?

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 10:14 am

What sort of temp are you talking about? i cant remember what mine fermented at but as long as its not to high and you keep the temp constant ( not varied) it should be fine :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Boonie » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 11:43 am

lethaldog wrote:What sort of temp are you talking about? i cant remember what mine fermented at but as long as its not to high and you keep the temp constant ( not varied) it should be fine :wink:

I reckon it will cook at about 23-25 as it is still quite warm under the house. Still waiting for the wort to cool. It is sitting at 32 at the moment and I have just thrown more ice in the sink to cool it further. It's still in the pot.

Aiming to pitch at 18 degrees and hope it sits at that. I was planning to strap some ice bricks to the side with a belt and change every few hours....weekdays will be 9 hours but I will put the big icebricks on.....

Or, do you think I should just let it go as strapping the icebricks and changing will alter the temp?

I should build my ice-box.....bugger it, I'm going to my dads to get his big power saw :D , whilst waiting for it to cool

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Thats the spirit boonie :lol:
Will be alot less trouble than changing ice bricks every few hours :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 2:35 pm

lethaldog wrote:Thats the spirit boonie :lol:

Oh yeah!

My Storage Facility (which currently has about 9doz bottles plus 6doz stubbies plus other odds and sods) gets fed with ice every day to keep it down a bit. I put 5litre jerries of ice in there each day, plus a few 1.25litre bottles as I get around to it and it is a compleat pain in the proverbial.

Next house will have a dedicated cool room! :wink:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Boonie » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 2:54 pm

lethaldog wrote:Thats the spirit boonie :lol:

All good..................except, I went to Dad's and cleaned out my uncles garage where I store all my fishing gear etc, as he is selling.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I forgot to get the f :shock: ing power saw :cry: . The ol' man actually came over to use it to cut shite and I still forgot. Too busy working out which rods were mine etc.......The car came back full of ski's, wakeboard, rods, reels, but not the thing I went over there for :evil:

I'll get it tomorrow. I've put down the batch as it was at 22 degrees.....couldn't wait any longer :lol:

I've actually strapped the ice brick to it to see if alters the temo. Doubt it, but you know, had to try. I could not get 2 inside the belt, I may have to work on my belly. :D

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Feb 02, 2008 3:18 pm

It'll be fine mate :lol:
Relax and have a homebrew :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Feb 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey Lethal,

Mine's lovely out of the fermenter :D ....I mean, my FG is sitting at 1012 at the moment....had to sample :wink: .

What was your FG if measured.......what should I expect it to be?. Start was 1070.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Feb 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Good to hear its goin well mate, from my records mine started at 1.080 and finished around 1.017 if that helps :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Boonie » Thursday Feb 07, 2008 10:35 pm

lethaldog wrote:Good to hear its goin well mate, from my records mine started at 1.080 and finished around 1.017 if that helps :wink:

Well I kegged it tonight in prep for the Newcastle Jets semi on Sunday, plus my son's B'day this weekend so I wanted some relo's to sample it at his party, family get together :D .....Think it'll put 'em to sleep?....I think it will, Tooheys and Carlton Cold drinkers and my brother will drink anything free :lol:

It was about 8.2% from what I worked out, 1070 finish 1012.

I put some CO2 in the keg before racking into it as I always do. I still try and smell it as it is racking and I again copped a noseful of CO2 :lol: , dumbass. I've done it twice now....I loved racking my beers and copping a whiff of the hops, but when I keg I do not get that extra whiff :wink:

Thanks again Lethal, the fermenter even smelt nice after I emptied it....OK I'm a sick puppy 8)

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Saturday Feb 09, 2008 9:00 am

If you can bottle some of it and leave it for a few months, you will be very pleasantly surprised. This style of beer just keeps getting better.

This recipe was my Belgian #1. Belgian #2 was an all-grain Belgian Strong Golden fermented with the Duvel yeast and caused me to have to station security guards around my beer Storage Facility. :wink: Belgian #3 is an all-grain dark ale, but this time with a barge-load of *actual* Belgian Candi Sugar and the Westmalle yeast.

All three took over three months to become 'good'. Belgian #3 is now after about 6 months becoming a visitor favourite, although I am being more careful because I cannot afford the necessary security provisions.

I reckon best value with Belgians comes with time.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Boonie » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 8:44 am

:lol: Nice one Spills

Lethal, had the first one on Friday night, low carb....lovely......has a bit of a kick to it :lol:

My mate who samples my HB's liked it and said it was not dis-similar to Coopers Vintage in terms of mouthfeel and the kick towards the end, + flavour was not bad at all. I am unsure what hops go into CVA but I reckon if you had a crack at it, it would go close.....maybe not kegging it immediately like I did, but leaving for a few months as stated.

It's not a replica for sure.... but sure is a nice beer

Cheers Lethal

Boonie
Boonie

Postby KEG » Sunday Feb 10, 2008 9:02 am

hey boonie, next time if you don't want to go to the trouble of liquid yeast, try safale T-58 - belgian ale yeast. it'll change it from tasting like a strong british ale, to the spicy phenolic-laced notes of a belgian strong ale... mmmm.
KEG

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes