Black rock Mexican

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Black rock Mexican

Postby grabman » Thursday Jan 13, 2005 7:55 pm

I've just cracked my keg of Blackrock Mexican Lager, just had to post and say damn fine drop.

Recipe is:
Blackrock Mexican Lager Kit
700gm Dextrose
300gm Light Malt
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
Saflager Yeast

made up to 22L

Really simple, yet excellent brew, coriander adds a subtle hint of spice while retaining the zest of the standard Mexican Lager,

mmmm I think I need another :P
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 12:07 pm

Grab,

Did that kit come with one of those dodgy enzymes that help the yeast ferment out more of the malt?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 1:35 pm

yep sure did, but I didn't use it. :D
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Re:

Postby hirns » Saturday May 23, 2009 6:14 am

Oliver wrote:Grab,

Did that kit come with one of those dodgy enzymes that help the yeast ferment out more of the malt?

Oliver

Oliver, curious as to what you mean by this. I've used dry enzme sachets (brewceller) for years without a problem. Are the Blackrock sachets dodgy???

Hirns
hirns

Re: Black rock Mexican

Postby billybushcook » Monday May 25, 2009 10:17 am

I tried the Black Rock Dry Lager with the dry Enzyme sachet a few times & had trouble with infections each time, I put it down to the long lag time of the "Lazy" yeast, could it have been the enzyme???

Mick.
billybushcook

Postby hirns » Monday May 25, 2009 8:28 pm

billybushcook wrote:I tried the Black Rock Dry Lager with the dry Enzyme sachet a few times & had trouble with infections each time, I put it down to the long lag time of the "Lazy" yeast, could it have been the enzyme???

Mick.

Yeah, Mick that's exactly why I asked. I had a sample of black rock cerveza a few years back from a homebrew store is Brisbane and it was awsome. Bought myself a can there and then and travelled back to Yeppoon in anticipation. Was one of the very very few(less than 3) beers that I simply had to poor down the sink :cry: . However, I've since used brewcraft sachets for 40+ brews without a problem.

Hirns
hirns

Re: Re:

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 30, 2011 6:00 pm

hirns wrote:
Oliver wrote:Grab,

Oliver

Oliver, curious as to what you mean by this. I've used dry enzme sachets (brewceller) for years without a problem. Are the Blackrock sachets dodgy???

Hirns

Better late than never for a reply ... what I meant was that lots of homebrewers frown on using enzyme because it's "unnatural". Many prefer to adjust the ingredients such as add less malt and more highly fermentable sugars (or mash at a lower temperature) to get a thinner body/low-carb effect.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Apr 30, 2011 6:19 pm

I've experimented with using dry enzyme with good results. The trick is designing the recipe around the fact that you're going to end up with all but no malt profile in the finished product; ie. lots of late hops.
bullfrog

Return to Recipes