The great Hoegaarden clone - in progress

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby hoohaaman » Friday Apr 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Not simple Danzar.all the hard work you put in to make this brew.

Cheers

The unwashed masses love it as well.
What more ,the chicks like it
hoohaaman

Postby Tadge » Tuesday May 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Danzar,

Mate you are a champ. I have JUST tried mine, Its been in the bottle for a couple of months now.
Bloody fantastic!!!, It does not quite taste the same as the original but I did modify it a bit, I'm no beer conisuer but I know what I like!!
Mine ended up being 5.5%alc so not a quaffer by any means but very tasty, only a hint of the lemon and coriander.
Thanks all for the recipe!

Cheers

Tadge
Tadge

Postby Danzar » Wednesday May 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Tadge wrote:Danzar,

Mate you are a champ. I have JUST tried mine, Its been in the bottle for a couple of months now.
Bloody fantastic!!!, It does not quite taste the same as the original but I did modify it a bit, I'm no beer conisuer but I know what I like!!
Mine ended up being 5.5%alc so not a quaffer by any means but very tasty, only a hint of the lemon and coriander.
Thanks all for the recipe!

Cheers

Tadge

Brilliant!

All it needs is a little fine tuning and that should be done on the coriander/orange. Just use that wit yeast and you can't go wrong.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby qikdatute » Tuesday May 15, 2007 12:17 pm

John from grain and grape has just updated their website to include the orange rind for use in this recipe:

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=8217

Enjoy!!
qikdatute

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Hmm... server seems pretty rooted right now. We do get to find out what it's running tho. :)
Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at http://www.grainandgrape.com.au Port 80
w00t!
rwh

Postby Oliver » Tuesday May 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Well and truly rooted.

I hate it when that happens.

:evil:

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Noodles » Wednesday May 30, 2007 11:54 am

I've been drinking a fair bit of Hoegaarden recently and I'm very keen to try this clone. I've just been to the G&G site and costed the ingredients (for the recipe in the original post) which came to $69.95 plus postage (which I assume will be about $15-$20).

Now here's my question, is the clone that good? Is it $90 worth? Or should I be looking for a cheaper version?
"Doc, what can I do about these terrible hangovers?"
'You can stop drinking beer'
"No, seriously Doc, what can I do?"
Noodles

Postby rwh » Wednesday May 30, 2007 11:57 am

Hey Noodles, maybe try the simpler version which was the starting point for this recipe, should cost you about $30. It's one of my most popular brews.

Pixelboy's Wheat

My fav Wheat/Hoegaarden requires some fiddling but it's easy mate!

1. Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Selection WHEAT BEER
2. Thomas Coopers Wheat Extract 1.5kg
3. Rind from 2 Oranges
4. 15gms (one pack) Corriander Seeds

Method

1. Take the rind of the Oranges being careful not to get any of the pith (soft white part). You can use a fine cheese grater.
2. Crush the corriander seeds
3. Empty contents of the Malt Wheat Extract, the orange rind and crushed corriander seeds into LARGE clean saucepan and add a litre or two of water. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stiring occasionally, for 20mins.
4. Strain contents into a sterilised fermenter with the contents of the beer can.
5. Top up with cold water (or hot) to 23litres stiring well trying to get it to about 22c-26c then pitch yeast.
6. Give it 2 weeks @ 20c and rack or bottle.

Its a ripper! Was my 3rd brew and I havent matched it yet. Ill be doing exactly the same when I return from NZ in a fortnight.

Trust me.. Its not that hard and it will taste great.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Noodles » Wednesday May 30, 2007 12:06 pm

Cheers rwh, sounds good. Do you think it would be worth ordering the dried orange rind? The reason I ask is that i've done a beer with normal orange rind before and it had zero head, which I put down to the oil in the orange peel.
Noodles

Postby rwh » Wednesday May 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Yes, I reckon it is worth it, you're right about the head retention, and it's also heaps easier. Go 15g of the bitter peel.
w00t!
rwh

Postby pixelboy » Wednesday May 30, 2007 1:11 pm

You can just leave the orange out overnight on some paper towel. The oils should soak into the paper.

Well thats how im going to do another batch this weekend :)

Oh Noodles.. add 15-20gms or so SAAZ to that recipie. Its too sweet without it.
pixelboy

Postby DJ » Wednesday May 30, 2007 2:04 pm

rwh,
did you use SAFwheat K-97 yeast for that recipie above???
DJ

"No Excuses" - Kostya Tszyu
DJ

Postby Noodles » Wednesday May 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks everyone, i'll give it a try this weekend. Bottling a Southern Lager wetpak this weekend too. :D
Noodles

Postby rwh » Wednesday May 30, 2007 3:56 pm

DJ wrote:did you use SAFwheat K-97 yeast for that recipie above???

The yeast that's under the lid is a K-97 as far as I know, so you might as well just use that.

See: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=571
w00t!
rwh

Postby DJ » Wednesday May 30, 2007 4:15 pm

I may as well!

Thankyou kind sir.
DJ

"No Excuses" - Kostya Tszyu
DJ

Postby timmy » Wednesday May 30, 2007 4:27 pm

I tried one of these last week after about 3 weeks in the bottle. It was very nice, but the bitterness was very noticable. I'm assuming that it should mellow over time, but has anyone else noticed it?

I pretty much followed the updated recipe to the letter.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Danzar » Wednesday May 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Noodles wrote:I've been drinking a fair bit of Hoegaarden recently and I'm very keen to try this clone. I've just been to the G&G site and costed the ingredients (for the recipe in the original post) which came to $69.95 plus postage (which I assume will be about $15-$20).

Now here's my question, is the clone that good? Is it $90 worth? Or should I be looking for a cheaper version?
That can't be right. Here are my costings (from my local):

Kit - $15.95
Malt - $11
Wheat - $3.50
Coriander - $2.50 - supermarket
Peel - $4 - Grain and Grape
Wheat malt - $3
Hops (x2) - $5
Yeast - $15 (*NB* this looks like it will blow your cost out but you make 4-6 starters, which means you can spread this yeast over 4-6 brews).

TOTAL: $59.95 including full yeast cost, so effective cost is actually around $48 or so. You've probably had to purchase dried malt etc in higher amounts above the recipe, so you should factor that in as an offset against future brews.

Postage is a bummer though - still, it shouldn't be as high as you think. Try and source the bulkier ingredients from your local, then order the yeast and peel from G & G. Postage would only be about $7 o $8 then, thereby giving you a brew of around $55 in total - and yep, it's woth it. You need that liquid yeast and dried peel - makes all the difference.

Cheers Noodles....
Danzar

Postby Danzar » Wednesday May 30, 2007 7:44 pm

timmy wrote:I tried one of these last week after about 3 weeks in the bottle. It was very nice, but the bitterness was very noticable. I'm assuming that it should mellow over time, but has anyone else noticed it?

I pretty much followed the updated recipe to the letter.

Cheers,

Tim

It will mellow. The taste changes quite rapidly. Best drunk at around 6-8 weeks.
Danzar

Postby Danzar » Wednesday May 30, 2007 7:45 pm

pixelboy wrote:You can just leave the orange out overnight on some paper towel. The oils should soak into the paper.

Well thats how im going to do another batch this weekend :)

Oh Noodles.. add 15-20gms or so SAAZ to that recipie. Its too sweet without it.

Exactly!
Danzar

Postby Noodles » Thursday May 31, 2007 11:56 am

Danzar wrote:Kit - $15.95
Malt - $11
Wheat - $3.50
Coriander - $2.50 - supermarket
Peel - $4 - Grain and Grape
Wheat malt - $3
Hops (x2) - $5
Yeast - $15 (*NB* this looks like it will blow your cost out but you make 4-6 starters, which means you can spread this yeast over 4-6 brews).

TOTAL: $59.95 including full yeast cost, so effective cost is actually around $48 or so. You've probably had to purchase dried malt etc in higher amounts above the recipe, so you should factor that in as an offset against future brews.

Postage is a bummer though - still, it shouldn't be as high as you think. Try and source the bulkier ingredients from your local, then order the yeast and peel from G & G. Postage would only be about $7 o $8 then, thereby giving you a brew of around $55 in total - and yep, it's woth it. You need that liquid yeast and dried peel - makes all the difference.

Cheers Noodles....

The prices you've quoted look fairly similar to what I priced except for the kit (I priced a 3kg esb). Unfortunately my local is over 200kms away, so I generally just brew k&k unless I order wetpaks from TCB. You are right about the quantities, there would be some left overs, but it's still a pricey brew. I'll give the cheaper version a go and see what happens.
Noodles

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes