Trough Lolly's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby chris. » Saturday Sep 15, 2007 6:43 pm

[]
Last edited by chris. on Saturday Oct 13, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby Stubbie » Wednesday Sep 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Finally got around to bottling my partial version of TL's recipe. Have to say it tasted yum-mo out of the fermenter. :D Looking forward to taste time.

For what it's worth, my FG was 1008, which is a bit lower than expected. A plausible explanation is that my temperature control during mashing wasn't all that flash, and the effective mash temperature probably dropped from the target 66 deg C.

Cheers.
Stubbie

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Oct 02, 2007 1:11 pm

Just bumping this.

TL - could you do me a massive favour and post your latest suggested extract recipe instructions AND partial/mini-mash instructions based on any adjustments you have made since you first posted this recipe?

I have done one mini-mash before (just some barley with wheat) and I want to try and edge just that little bit closer to an all grain.

The reason why I wanted an extract version is just in case I can't get the gear together.

Incidentally, I have a 15 litre pot with lid (not sure what it's made of but it's the kind of pot that cools very slowly), a thermometer to monitor the brew, and a grain sack.

Can I get away with this or do I really need to up my gear to do a partial?

My objective is to experiment enough this summer so that I can do my first AG by Feb/March.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Oct 15, 2007 12:13 pm

G'day Danzar - just read this...I've been away so I'll drag out my recipe notes and get back to you...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby warra48 » Monday Oct 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:G'day Danzar - just read this...I've been away so I'll drag out my recipe notes and get back to you...

Cheers,
TL

Welcome back, we've missed you.
Incidentally, I have basic wheatie in the fermenter. Will be pitching your dunkelweizenbock clone onto that later this week, once the latest delivery from Ross arrives. My first AG, your SNPA clone, was rather hoppy, but is now starting to drink beautifully, terrific flavour with better balanced hoppiness. Clear as could be, and leaves a lovely lacing in the glass.
warra48

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Oct 22, 2007 10:14 am

Cheers...the SNPA clone is a well hopped beer and for hopheads it goes down easily early on, but I do find it balances out after a month or two of conditioning...My earlier attempts used to be fine to begin with but after a month or two, the hops were too mild and out of balance, IMHO. Hence the revised hop bill and overall, a better tasting beer - on my palate anyway! The trick, as with any good brew, is to use the freshest of ingredients - which is why I don't buy hops in bulk any more...

So far, I've done this recipe with Weyermann Pilsener (5 out of 10 - too much residual sweetness), IMC ale (9.5 / 10) , Bairds Marris Otter (8 / 10) and Bairds Pale malts (7 / 10)- this weekend I'm going to do a batch with Barrett and Burston pale malt to see how that malt shapes up. It's interesting to see how each malt subtly changes the beer's profile, apart from the final colour...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Nov 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Danzar wrote:Just bumping this.
TL - could you do me a massive favour and post your latest suggested extract recipe instructions AND partial/mini-mash instructions based on any adjustments you have made since you first posted this recipe?
((snip))

G'day Danzar - sorry it took so long to find the recipe, but here's my latest variant on this beer, doing a partial mash:

Trough Lolly's SNPA - Partial Mash - Recipe

Batch size 21L
Boil size 12L
SG1.055 FG1.013 (Alc 5.4% by volume)

Grist
1 x 1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale (or Australian Draught) kit
1.8kg Pale Ale malt
300g Weyermann Carapils
300g Pale Munich Malt
200g Pale Crystal malt
200g Pale Wheat malt

Crack and mash the grains at a ratio of 2.3L of mash water per kilo of grains for 1 hour at 66C, stirring every 15 mins. I can (just) fit this amount of grain into one of those 6-pack eskies. Slowly sparge the mash to yield at least 12L of wort in a large stock pot.
Boil the 12L of wort for an hour with the following hop additions:

20g Chinook Pellets 12.4% A/A 60 mins
20g Amarillo Pellets 8.9% A/A 15 mins
16g Cascade Pellets 6.3% A/A at flameout/end of boil
*Adjust all the hop additions pro rata if you have different strength hops. Also note that despite the lower quantity of hops in a concentrated boil, you need to take into account that the kit already has bittering, flavour and aroma hops in it.*

Add Coopers kit to kettle at the end of boil - gently stir through to mix (don't make bubbles or you'll oxidise the boiling hot wort and chill the boil in an ice bath. Rack to fermenter when you get below 24C and add pre-boiled / chilled water (use 2L PET bottles) until you get to the starting gravity (around 1.055). Pitch yeast at no higher than 22 degrees C. US-56 is the best dry yeast for this and seal...

This should give you around 21L of very nice beer...It will make 23L of fine beer, but you lose a bit of malty complexity if you over dilute the wort.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby sathid » Saturday Nov 10, 2007 12:32 pm

What would the SNPA clone be like with simcoe hops for bittering rather than chinook?
sathid

Postby Stubbie » Sunday Nov 11, 2007 9:51 pm

After a long absence from home, I finally got around to tasting my partial version.

The malt flavour is wonderful. Yum. But I suspect I messed up in the hops department and the bitterness and hoppiness I was expecting is absent. And it has me scratching my head :? . It was AFTER brew time that I noticed my batch of NB was 6.6% AA instead of 7.4% AA and, of course, I did not adjust the hop addition pro rata. :oops:

What's more, the Cascade packet was a new one and when I arrived home I noticed the thermal seal had let go. Looking back I should have returned the packet, or better still, should have checked the packet whilst at the HBS. :oops:

Two lessons learnt here. 8)

Overall, it's a pretty good drop, but I'm sure I haven't done the recipe justice in terms of hopping. With more bitterness and hoppiness, it should be better balanced, and more likely sensational. Will have to make amends and do it right next time, though all going well next time will mean AG.

Cheers.
Stubbie

Postby sathid » Monday Nov 12, 2007 6:09 pm

I'm thinking of doing this next week. As a BIAB brew (which will be my third brew ever).

Just wondering what you think of this version.

Mash

3kg of Bairds Marris Otter
1kg of Weyermann Munich Malt I
300g of Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
200g of Bairds Crystal Malt Dark (220-260 EBC)

Hops

11g Simcoe (11.9% AA) at 60 mins
25g Amarillo (10.3% AA) at 15 mins
16g Cascade (8.3% AA) at flameout

Will the Simcoe suit this style?
I've heard they are a very smooth bittering hop, so wanted to try them.
Not looking strictly for an exact clone, just something in the style thats good.

This will hopefully be a brew for my Bucks party in january. And judging by the fact it's 39 degrees now in November, it's going to be a hot one. So wants to be a nice easy drinking beer :D

Cheers,

Troy

Edit: Just wondering what the wheat imparts in the beer? Is there something that could replace it for the sake of clarity, or is it best with it in?

Also, I was considering trying out a liquid yeast like Wyeast American Ale II. What would it be like in this beer? They describe it as having a nutty taste, thats nothing like the (horrible) nutty taste in TED's and Carlton Draught is it?
sathid

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Nov 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Wheat gives better head, perfect for a bucks party ;)

Update your profile with your location mate, it helps a bit.

Fair bit of Munich in there, looks nice! The Simcoe will suit just fine.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby sathid » Monday Nov 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Done!

When I say "this version" I just mean I've taken Trough Lolly's recipe, matched some grains from craftbrewer up to it, and switched the bittering hops :D
sathid

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Nov 12, 2007 6:36 pm

It will be nothing anywhere near the original. The MO will be quite distinct as will the Munich. But personaly I think it will be quite nice as I like both flavours. The crystal malt may be a bit much, but thats your call.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby sathid » Monday Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

really?

Have I misinterpreted the clone recipe?

Not having done any AG brews before (steeped a bit of caramalt and thats it!) I'm not really sure what to expect.
sathid

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm

G'day sathid,
Your recipe will be interesting - the grist looks like a variant on the classic English Special Bitter grainbill and the hops are good for an American APA! Brew on son and let us know how it goes - I've got the ingredients and I need to do another APA shortly (running out of kegs after racking a Robust Porter, Hefeweizen and ESB last weekend!) so I may give your recipe a shot!!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Re: Trough Lolly's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Postby sathid » Tuesday Nov 13, 2007 6:56 pm

Lol. Perhaps I've confused myself. All I've done is pick ingredients to match your recipe Trough Lolly, only changed the yeast and the bittering hops (and additions to allow for AA%). Only thing is Craftbrewer didn't have the IMC malt, so I substituted with MO.

So it's your recipe.
lol
or am I confused

Grist:
2kg Bairds Marris Otter
1kg IMC Pale ale
1kg Bairds Munich I
300g Wheat malt
200g Crystal 140L
Mash for 1 hr at 66C - use 2.3L per kilo of grain in mashtun.

Boil for 1hr with...
Hops:
16g Chinook Pellets 12.4% A/A 60 mins
24g Amarillo Pellets 8.9% A/A 15 mins
16g Cascade Pellets 6.3% A/A at flameout/end of boil

Cheers,
TL

Mash

3kg of Bairds Marris Otter
1kg of Weyermann Munich Malt I
300g of Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
200g of Bairds Crystal Malt Dark (220-260 EBC)

Hops

11g Simcoe (11.9% AA) at 60 mins
25g Amarillo (10.3% AA) at 15 mins
16g Cascade (8.3% AA) at flameout
sathid

Postby gibbocore » Tuesday Nov 13, 2007 7:28 pm

mate i've never noticed a distinct flavour from MO only that its tastes like malt
gibbocore

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Nov 14, 2007 10:18 am

G'day Sathid - Ahhh, I see, I'm with you now!!! I think the combination of all Marris Otter and Dark Crystal will result in a darker APA, but that doesn't mean it's no good! The 140 Lovibond Crystal is a light crystal that I find nicely complements the Marris Otter. As for colour, I'm just going on memory and to my eyes, it's a slightly darker than normal pale ale with a hint of orange in it - almost IPA'ish...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Chris » Wednesday Nov 14, 2007 10:32 am

APAs can be up to amber according to the style guidelines. I don't think you'll have any issues on authenticity. Even so, add more hops and as TL said, you'll get a beautiful IPA. :D

I'm a much bigger fan of IPA than any other type of PA in case you hadn't noticed :D
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Nov 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Nothing wrong with an IPA - excellent beer! :D

My AG Pith Helmet IPA is...here.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes