Award winning recipes......

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby drsmurto » Monday Oct 08, 2007 4:13 pm

I steeped this lot for about an hour at 68C. Anywhere between 65-70 is what i did, using the little 6 pack can esky. Lid on. Walk away for an hour, or 3. Strain and boil with the malt as usual.
drsmurto

Postby sonictruth » Monday Oct 08, 2007 4:53 pm

i did it last week and i steeped the grains for about 45mins.....but its the doctors recipe so listen to him :)

my HBS didnt have any chinook so i subbed it with POR. first taste from the fermenter is fairly promising!
sonictruth

Postby Boonie » Friday Oct 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Doc, I have asked collapoo the same, but do you know how much was your AA% on your hops?

Sorry to cross post, I would have liked to PM or email.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Friday Oct 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Not 100% on the cluster - i bought it from Ross so maybe you/I could ask him. The chinook was in the 12s and the cascade about 6. I took into account the AA of chinook when reversing the order. It does mean that the reverse Boonies LCPA is about 5 IBUs higher. But i think with the added steeped caramalt that its still a beautifully balanced beer.

EDIT - in fact, i think its better balanced than my AG version. Albeit a tad less malty.
drsmurto

Postby James L » Friday Oct 19, 2007 2:28 pm

I definately think that the caramalt needs to be added to just take the edge off the bitterness... I forgot/couldnt be bothered to do it , and i can sense the harshness of the bitterness already... If i had've added the caramalt, i think it would've been spot on..

Ohh well... i guess i'll just have to make some more... :D
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Re: Award winning recipes......

Postby easytiger » Friday Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Drsmurto,

This might be a stupid question and maybe I missed something but what is the volume in the fermenter for your award winning LCPA? My friend and I are planning to put it down this weekend
easytiger

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jan 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Back in those days it would have been 23L i think but 20L would be better in my opinion.
drsmurto

Postby Trizza » Tuesday Jan 25, 2011 8:03 am

Speaking of this award winning recipe at LCPA, I put down my own variant on Boonie's LCPA some time ago, for good albeit not great results.

The recipe was:
1 can Morgan's Stockman's Draught
1.5Kg LLME (Coopers)
1 KG LDME
20g Cluster @ 15 mins
10g Cascade @ 15 mins
10g Cascade @ 5 mins
20g Chinook @ Dry Hop
Wyeast 1056
Volume: 25L

Initial tastings are that it’s a good beer, but not fantastic so needs some tweaking. Honey, slightly syrupy flavours are apparent. The mouthfeel is good, but not quite right, hence some crystal & carapils. Also the opinion has been to reverse the hopping schedule, but bitterness is already slightly strong with this batch. Reduced hops & malt extract accordingly.

I’m revising the brew for another attempt this weekend (3 batches, 75L). I’ll be doing a mini-mash with the items below. What comments could people make regarding this below revised recipe?

1 can Morgan's Stockman's Draught
1.5Kg LLME (Coopers)
500g LDME
250g Caramalt
150g Carapils / Carafoam
150g Flaked Wheat
15g Cluster @ 15 mins
10g Chinook @ 15 mins
10g Cascade @ 5 mins
Dry Hop 10g Cascade
Dry Hop 10g Chinook
Wyeast 1056
Volume: 25L

Any assistance much appreciated…!
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Honey/syrupy makes me think you are getting a reasonably high FG. Adding caramalt and carapils will only increase that, not decrease it.

To counteract the sweetness you need to lower the FG and in kit brewing that means sugar.

Flaked wheat needs to be mashed with a base malt. If you don't you'll end up with hazy beer from the starches.

So if it was me i would be swapping half the LDME for sugar, ditching the carapils and flaked wheat and keeping everything else the same.
drsmurto

Postby Trizza » Thursday Jan 27, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd be doing a full mash to add the additional malt, but now I’m inclined to think that's not the way to go. The honey flavour is dissipating as the malt used for the bulk priming is fermenting. Not yet 3 weeks in the bottle, so I’m putting down the sweetness to possibly the bottle fermentation not yet being complete.

The colour of the batch was perfect, but since I’ll be reducing the quantities of LDME from 1KG to 500g I’ll add a small amount of light crystal to account for the loss of colour from not having the dried malt. Shouldn’t need much, but just a bit to keep the colour right.

Bitterness derived from the flavouring hops is too strong for my liking, so I’ve reduced the quantities back to ensure that it’s a bit more drinkable (as shown in initial revised recipe).
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby HARMSY » Wednesday May 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Doc,

I'm wanting to give you LCPA a crack, only prob is I don't gave acess to grumpys, what can I substitute in for that?? The last lot of cascade, when is that added?? I'm reasonably new to it all and trying to learn....

Regards

Harmsy
HARMSY

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I hope I don't step on The Great One's toes, but I think these are probably the answers:

HARMSY wrote:I'm wanting to give you LCPA a crack, only prob is I don't gave acess to grumpys, what can I substitute in for that??

Is this what you mean: "1.7 kg Grumpys Pale Malt Extract"
If so, the fact that it's 1.7kg indicates to me that it's a tin of liquid extract. I'd just substitute in another tin of light malt extract. Coopers does one (1.5kg, but that shouldn't matter too much). There are lots of brands out there that do liquid extract. Otherwise, use about 1.4kg of light dried extract.

HARMSY wrote:The last lot of cascade, when is that added??

This: "15g cascade dry hopped at rack"?
Doc racks his beers, so he added them when he transferred the beer off the yeast cake into another fermenter. There's a lot of discussion about whether to rack or not (search is your friend). You could probably just add them as the fermentation is finishing if you don't rack.

Hope this response meets with you approval, Doc :-)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby HARMSY » Wednesday May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Cheers for that, but what about the can of grumpys 25IBU??
HARMSY

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday May 04, 2011 7:33 pm

The can of Grumpys extract is hopped to 25 IBU so you need to replace that with another hopped tin.

Coopers Lager would work fine.

The rest of Olivers response is spot on, the last lot of cascade is a dry hop.
drsmurto

Postby HARMSY » Wednesday May 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Cheers people.......
HARMSY

Previous

Return to Recipes