Cascade Golden Harvest

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Nov 18, 2007 9:26 pm

No worries, I just did not want to see you come back in a few weeks and ask why all your bottles were going Hiroshima :shock:

Funy that the only nation allowed to have a nuke is the only one to have used it... :?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby freekq » Monday Nov 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Ahhh to have someone who cares about my HB - if only my wife felt the same way :D :D :D :D
Beer... the sweet smell of success
freekq

Postby MiniMoose » Monday Nov 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Kevnlis wrote:No worries, I just did not want to see you come back in a few weeks and ask why all your bottles were going Hiroshima :shock:

Funy that the only nation allowed to have a nuke is the only one to have used it... :?

So True.
MiniMoose

Postby freekq » Sunday Nov 25, 2007 10:20 am

Well i've bottled my HB with an FG of 1014. The readings had been constant since Wed.

This should leave me with an ABV of 5.5%. I'll store in the fridge for a few weeks to have it CC and wait around for at least 4 weeks after CC before giving it a test.

Thanks for all the advice along the way :)
freekq

Postby freekq » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 8:23 pm

I've got the Golden Harvest Batch sitting in a fridge at approx 7 degrees for CCing. Although i'm not sure if this correct. What I mean by that is, I used US56 yeast in the primary, but once I have racked into the secondary, I assume most of the yeast should be consumed. Accordingly, once I bottle can the final stage of carbonation be killed off if I have the bottles at too low a temperature while being CCed?

Sorry for the long winded question :oops:
freekq

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

I am pretty sure the answer is no but you may have confused me a bit. There will still be plenty of yeast left in suspension even at 7C to carb up the bottles, but the bottles probably will not carb up properly if stored at 7C.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby freekq » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry if I've confused you. What i have done so far is racked from primary to secondary and then waited for FG to be steady 3 times. I then bottled and have placed the HB in the fridge for CCing which is at 7 degrees (don't have a fridgemate and I have seen your response to another post :D ).

I plan on keeping the HB in the fridge for 14 days and then return it to a temp range in the vicinity of 16-24 degrees for 8 weeks +, before I hopefully reap the rewards.

Going by your response of

[There will still be plenty of yeast left in suspension even at 7C to carb up the bottles, but the bottles probably will not carb up properly if stored at 7C.]

if I return the HB to a higher temp after CCing, carbonation will occur during the 8 week period :?
freekq

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Yes that is exactly right. It is best to store the bottles at the temp you fermented at, but anything under 25C will be fine, 7C however is probably too low for your yeast. 8 weeks is probably too long to wait for the first sample, try one after 2 and see where you are at.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Re: Cascade Golden Harvest

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

Just Ordered the following online:

1 x Brewcraft #20 Malt+ booster 1kg 329 $10.80 AUD
1 x Cascade Golden Harvest Lager 934 $16.95 AUD
1 x Glass Pint 570ml 4243 $2.95 AUD
1 x SAF lager yeast S-23 11g 874 $7.95 AUD

No Posts on this thread for almost 3 years, is that a bad thing? I'm pretty keen to try the cascade out

Any one done one recently?
RUM57L

Postby earle » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 11:06 am

I think that part of the reason Cascade kits got a bad wrap from some brewers was the yeast that comes with them. I'm not sure what strain it is but cascade refers to it as Bohemian. Compared to normal kit yeasts it has a bit of a lag time before it gets really going, a lot of newb brewers interpreted that as dud yeast but in fact due to a slower ferment it may produce better flavours. As you are using s-23 these are all moot points anyway.

On a side note that yeast is a bit pricy. Craftbrewer has the same for less but I usually use the twin packs that they package from bulk themselves which are good value and I've never had any problems with them. Pity I can't say the same about some Brewcellar yeast that I got.
earle

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply Earle,

Just having a look at price differences now between sites, i've never ordered anything via either before today. usually go to LHBS.

I wasnt aware of any concerns over cascade kits, but did have my own concern as they are not mentioned much on here, which is why i looked into another trusted yeast, thanks for your input mate :mrgreen:
RUM57L

Postby earle » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 11:31 am

My LHBS doesn't have much in way of grains and yeasts are not stored refridgerated so I don't get either from them. Compared to them I consider CB to have much better storage/handling and reckon they must have better turnover to prevent old stock. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. On the occasion something was missing from my order they just express posted it straight away no hassles.
earle

Postby Lachy » Saturday Sep 18, 2010 11:18 am

So what exactly is this "bohemian" yeast that's included in the cascade kits? Is it the same strain across all cans, or does it vary?
Lachy

Postby RUM57L » Monday Sep 20, 2010 9:26 am

No Idea what it is, i'm going to be using Saflager yeast S-23 to be safe.

Could i use the kit yeast as a nutrient? to do this i'd just mix it up in a cup of room temp water yea??
RUM57L

Postby bullfrog » Monday Sep 20, 2010 9:37 am

Best to boil the kit yeast if you want to use it as a nutrient, otherwise it will start eating fermentables as well and will compete with the S-23. If you're not doing a boil for any other reason, then I'm sure just putting it in a mug and tipping boiling water from a kettle on it would do the same job. Just don't confuse it for your coffee and sip on it whilst you read the paper!
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Monday Sep 20, 2010 9:47 am

Haha thanks Bullfrog,

That could turn out to be interesting! I was not planning on boiling this one, just disolving and mixing.. but i would still consider boiling the kit yeast just to be safe.. ORR do you think its even worth worrying about the kit yeast at all?
RUM57L

Postby Bum » Monday Sep 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Should be plenty of nutrients in your recipe really but it cannot hurt at all if you do want to add the kit yeast but you must boil it first. It can only help your yeast but I don't personally bother with that sort of thing unless I put down a GB or cider.
Bum

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

Cheers Bum,

I'll leave it out this time around and save and use it for a nutrient in my next GB like you mentioned.

My order arrived yesterday afternoon, since they sent it out on friday and it was here monday i'll prob use them in the future. Everything was packaged safe and secure.
RUM57L

Previous

Return to Recipes