LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 22, 2007 9:01 am

Decided i need to do something different from my recent brews so i put down this recipe on Saturday. Ordered the hops on thursday 2:30pm, sitting in my letterbox when i got home from work on friday (Ross, you bloody legend!).

Bought myself a 6 pack of the real deal since i have never had one before. Wanted to find out what all the fuss is about. Is it just me or does this stuff taste like a HB? Or maybe i have been just overhopping all this time????

Anyway, its bubbling away furiously, wet towels are keeping it at 22. Smell coming from the room is amazing, hop heaven!

Cheers for recipe Boonie
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Monday Jan 22, 2007 10:10 am

drsmurto wrote:Bought myself a 6 pack of the real deal since i have never had one before. Wanted to find out what all the fuss is about. Is it just me or does this stuff taste like a HB? Or maybe i have been just overhopping all this time????

No, all the other commercial breweries underhop. :wink: :lol:

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 22, 2007 10:34 am

Had a few CPAs yesterday and they seemed so bland after the LCPA. But at $62/carton, will be very happy if this recipe is half as good!

Thanks to Ross and a trip to the Jovial Monk i now have over 500g of hops in the fridge, might try more than 3 hops in the next brew.......
drsmurto

Postby timmy » Monday Jan 22, 2007 11:09 am

drsmurto wrote:Had a few CPAs yesterday and they seemed so bland after the LCPA. But at $62/carton, will be very happy if this recipe is half as good! .

To be fair, the CPA is a different style to the LCPA.

I'm a big fan of both, although I think the CPA is a better quaffer/session beer.
timmy

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jan 22, 2007 11:13 am

Yep, LCPA is much more in your face but I prefer CPA on the whole!
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby gregb » Monday Jan 22, 2007 11:51 am

I can find enough love in my heart for both CPA and LCPA.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jan 22, 2007 1:06 pm

:lol: LOL, you're a better man than I, I've been drinking the Coopers too long, it just tastes so right!
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Had a pint of CPA with lunch today and its not too bad a drop after all! :D i forced it down :D .

Think its time to start extract brewing with all my hops and a love of the hoppier style beers :D

And to sound completely hypocritical i will start by trying to make a CPA!
drsmurto

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jan 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Not a bad drop? Where's your SA Pride! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Still my commercial drop of choice - 8 years of the unibar converted me from my evil westend Hahn Ice drinking ways. Shudders.....

At $62 a box i wont be converting to LCPA anytime soon. Is this stuff on tap anywhere in perth? Am heading over there later in the year for work and would love to sample some more.
drsmurto

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Jan 24, 2007 11:10 am

drsmurto wrote:Still my commercial drop of choice - 8 years of the unibar converted me from my evil westend Hahn Ice drinking ways. Shudders.....

At $62 a box i wont be converting to LCPA anytime soon. Is this stuff on tap anywhere in perth? Am heading over there later in the year for work and would love to sample some more.

http://www.littlecreatures.com.au/fetch/

Down the bottom
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby pixelboy » Wednesday Jan 24, 2007 11:47 am

A bit OT but I was just browsing around the LCPA site dreaming of drinking the sweet nectar instead of doing work when I came across this... thought you guys may be interested..

Interesting the reasons they use a secondary yeast, not just for carbonation..

Our Little Creatures ale yeast has the hardest job of all (not). Working its way through two batches of pale ale wort at 5000 litres per batch takes some 6 days, after which we chill and cold stabilise for a week before filtering off the yeast. The pale ale then receives a secondary conditioning yeast, some priming sugar to get it going, and it's either into the bottle and off to our temperature controlled conditioning store, or into one of our six monumental serving vessels behind the bar. Either way, the conditioning yeast performs a most wonderful service. It cleans up the beer taking away harsh green flavours allowing those complex hop, malt and fermentation aromas to make their mark. It also increases the CO2 to where we want it, and finally it keeps the beer fresh for longer by soaking up any oxidants in the beer. I guess yeast is just Mother Natures' little gift to us to ensure you get better beer.

From >> http://www.littlecreatures.com.au/paleale/log.html

Its certainly the best most refined beer ive ever tasted... :)
pixelboy

Postby scblack » Wednesday Jan 24, 2007 1:18 pm

I'll be doing this recipe over the weekend, looking forward to trying it.

Attempt number two for me.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby BenH » Saturday Feb 03, 2007 2:59 pm

slight tangent here - I am attempting to make the BrewCellar recipe for LCPA. It calls for 2 x12g of Cascade Hops. I got a couple of the teabags, my question is should I simply chuck both bags into the fermenter just before pitching, or should I boil one for a length of time and pitch the other?

I would lean towards pitching both given LCPA is highly aromatic hops-wise, anyone else got a no-pinion?

Cheers - BenH
BenH

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Feb 03, 2007 4:12 pm

LCPA is quite bitter IMO, I doubt any kit would be sufficiently bittered to get close to LCPA. I would get some hop pellets and boil them up for 30-60 minutes.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Boonie » Saturday Feb 03, 2007 7:06 pm

BenH wrote:slight tangent here - I am attempting to make the BrewCellar recipe for LCPA. It calls for 2 x12g of Cascade Hops. I got a couple of the teabags, my question is should I simply chuck both bags into the fermenter just before pitching, or should I boil one for a length of time and pitch the other?

I would lean towards pitching both given LCPA is highly aromatic hops-wise, anyone else got a no-pinion?

Cheers - BenH

Try boiling 1 for 30 and one for 15....in my no-pinion. :lol:
Boonie

Postby Boonie » Saturday Feb 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Pale_Ale wrote:LCPA is quite bitter IMO, I doubt any kit would be sufficiently bittered to get close to LCPA. I would get some hop pellets and boil them up for 30-60 minutes.

I dunno about that, I think the recipe I was given has plenty of hops to give the Aroma and bitterness of LCPA.

You could cook for a little longer, if you think it was not bitter enough. IMO I think it is just right, and again, it is not my recipe, so I am not biased. I just like to share :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday May 02, 2007 5:35 pm

legend boonie! thx for sharing the recipe. i'm going to put it down this weekend.

one query: would it be ok not to rack and just add the chinook to the primary and leave for how long?
forcetwelve

Postby Boonie » Wednesday May 02, 2007 6:27 pm

forcetwelve wrote:legend boonie! thx for sharing the recipe. i'm going to put it down this weekend.

one query: would it be ok not to rack and just add the chinook to the primary and leave for how long?

Racking would be better to get the brew off the trub, however, if you do have a second fermenter, I would dry hop the Chinook hops after 4 Days brewing and bottle after another 7 days.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday May 02, 2007 6:31 pm

ok thanks boonie.

by 'dry hopping' i assume this means just dropping the pellets in the brew without prior soaking?
forcetwelve

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes