LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby ozcah » Sunday Sep 16, 2007 3:12 pm

Finally tried my LCPA clone based on Boonie's recipe. All I did different was swap the chinook and Cascade around.

Absolute winner and that's just after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Joy!

Catchya
Osc
ozcah

Re: LCPA Recipe

Postby hirns » Wednesday Apr 29, 2009 7:54 am

Been brewing for a bout ten years. Lot's of great info on this site. Just put down Boonies LCPA, I boiled the hops (combined) for 15 minutes and then threw them in the fermenter with the light malt and the morgan's draught. It was'nt till my second reading of this thread that I picked up on the fact that the malt & Morgan's & hops should have all been boiled together :( . Will my neglect make much of a difference? What is the point of boiling the malt and can extract anyway???

Thanks

Hirns
hirns

Postby ozcah » Wednesday Apr 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Hiya,

Boiling the malt with the hops is fine. I wouldn't boil the extract kit though. You may read on a number of different threads through this site that the kit is already hopped and boiling it removes some of those characteristics. So if you didn't boil the kit, then all should be fine.

Catchya
Osc
ozcah

Postby Bum » Wednesday Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Unless that is the reason it is boiled (and I assume that it is), of course.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Apr 30, 2009 11:04 am

hirns wrote:Been brewing for a bout ten years. Lot's of great info on this site. Just put down Boonies LCPA, I boiled the hops (combined) for 15 minutes and then threw them in the fermenter with the light malt and the morgan's draught. It was'nt till my second reading of this thread that I picked up on the fact that the malt & Morgan's & hops should have all been boiled together :( . Will my neglect make much of a difference? What is the point of boiling the malt and can extract anyway???

Thanks

Hirns

I assume you mean that you boiled the hops in water, not a mix of malt and water?

The problem with this method is that you have an SG of 1.000 which in theory means a higher utilisation of the hops - you will extract much more bitterness.

I've also found that with mates who used to do this that the flavour is greatly reduced. Once they switched to boiling the hops in a wort the flavour was better.

As long as you dry hop then the aroma will still be fantastic but next time try either boiling some of the malt with the hops or do what one of my mates does and mix all the malt in water in your fermenter at your final volume then draw out 2L and bring that to the boil and add your hops. Add it back to the fermenter.
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Wednesday May 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks Doc, that makes logical sense. I've just finished the a keg of what I hoped to be a basic Fat Yak Clone, it was obviously drinkable, but gave new mean to the term "Hop Head" :?
hirns

Previous

Return to Recipes