LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Nov 15, 2006 4:58 pm

DJ wrote:
Chunk wrote:I brewed a brewcraft premium recipe kit for Little Creatures Pale Ale. I haven't tried it yet (bottled for 2 weeks) but it smelt pretty good when bottleing. Has anyone else brewed the kit?

Yep, I have done it,,

Disapointing to tell you the truth.. Especially after the smell like you mentioned.

Do the ESB American Pale Ale. Now that's a beer!!

Dunno if the recipe that was given to me is any better, but Morgans do make a quality kit. :wink:
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Danzar » Saturday Nov 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Hey Boonie. I had some trouble getting the Chinook pellets. I was thinking of going Cascade, Cluster then finishing with Cascade again.

Another thing - what if I added a small amount of dry wheat malt, maybe 125-150g?
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby Boonie » Saturday Nov 25, 2006 3:22 pm

Danzar wrote:Hey Boonie. I had some trouble getting the Chinook pellets. I was thinking of going Cascade, Cluster then finishing with Cascade again.

Another thing - what if I added a small amount of dry wheat malt, maybe 125-150g?

The wheat would not make a huge difference IMO.

You really do need the Chinook.

Do you want me to post you some?, only prob is temp control, but I have had some in fridge and left out for hours and brewed and it was OK.

The chinook I can get for about 1-2 bucks for 12g + postage which is 50c on top.

If you want me to get some, email me at darkie_m@hotmail.com

I will get some next time I am in town if you want.

It may be a week or so, but I would not brew this recipe without it, for that "clone" taste and smell.

One other thing, after you have bottled, drink out of a glass to really let the taste and aroma flourish. Smell before pouring though and enjoy the concentrated aroma. :D :wink:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Travalator » Tuesday Nov 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Hey Boonie, i'm going to give your LCPA recipe a go this weekend, i hope to be enjoying it during the Boxing Day test. I'll post a reply how it turns out.
Travalator

Postby scblack » Wednesday Nov 29, 2006 7:58 am

Boonie, I am going to be giving your recipe a go - love a LCPA, and now I am a bona fide shareholder also. 8)

The only difference I will have to make is I could not get hold of Cluster hops, so they will be omitted.

Looking forward to trying this one!
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby rwh » Wednesday Nov 29, 2006 10:25 am

Don't just omit - substitute. Perle would work. See here.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Boonie » Monday Dec 11, 2006 11:33 pm

scblack wrote:Boonie, I am going to be giving your recipe a go - love a LCPA, and now I am a bona fide shareholder also. 8)

The only difference I will have to make is I could not get hold of Cluster hops, so they will be omitted.

Sorry that I have read this one so late, bloody hell, I have been busy.

I have sent some Chinook hops to Danzar, wish I had read earlier and I could have picked up some Cluster for you at the same time.

If you want I can pick up some cluster and mail for you too.

Only prob is that it will be after Xmas as I am flat out + they are out of fridge for 24-48 hours.

Just email me at [url]darkie_m@hotmail.com[/url] if you want some and tell me how much you want + address.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Boonie - done!

Pitch temp - 18 degrees. Helps when the max temp for Sydney today was 17 or so.

(A bit of ice water doesn't go astray either)
Danzar

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 8:15 pm

Danzar wrote:Boonie - done!

Pitch temp - 18 degrees. Helps when the max temp for Sydney today was 17 or so.

(A bit of ice water doesn't go astray either)

I was digging holes tonight so I did not get to put one down.

Yep, perfect temp for starters.

Good luck Danzar and I hope this recipe is up there for you.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby scblack » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 8:04 am

Boonie wrote:
scblack wrote:Boonie, I am going to be giving your recipe a go - love a LCPA, and now I am a bona fide shareholder also. 8)

I have sent some Chinook hops to Danzar, wish I had read earlier and I could have picked up some Cluster for you at the same time.

Only prob is that it will be after Xmas as I am flat out + they are out of fridge for 24-48 hours.

Just email me at [url]darkie_m@hotmail.com[/url] if you want some and tell me how much you want + address.

Cheers

Boonie

Cheers, Boonie. I put it down but have had infection problems of late and I just threw the batch down the drain last night.

FOURTH infection can you believe. Forty brews, and now four infections in a row. I have now replaced a lot of gear.

I will get the hops from Ross at Craftbrewer I reckon Boonie, but thank you very much. They arrive next day.

By the way, what suburb are you at Newcastle? My parents live at Weston, so I am fairly regularly up that way.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 5:19 pm

scblack wrote:
Boonie wrote:

Cheers

Boonie

Cheers, Boonie. I put it down but have had infection problems of late and I just threw the batch down the drain last night.

FOURTH infection can you believe. Forty brews, and now four infections in a row. I have now replaced a lot of gear.

I will get the hops from Ross at Craftbrewer I reckon Boonie, but thank you very much. They arrive next day.

By the way, what suburb are you at Newcastle? My parents live at Weston, so I am fairly regularly up that way.

I am at Belmont (Lake Macquarie).

Weston near Kurri is about 40 Minutes from me, over the mountain. I worked at Kurri Kurri. :wink:

Four infections :shock: Man what are you using for "sterility", besides a picture of Amanda Vanstone.

When I had an infection I double dosed my solution and soaked all the gear for 3 days.

Good luck with it mate, nothing worse than tipping beer out :cry:
Boonie

Postby Danzar » Saturday Dec 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Boonie. Done and tasted. Bang on a Little Creatures Pale. The only difference I noticed was that this one is a little too bitter. Other than that, well done - great recipe.
Danzar

Postby Boonie » Sunday Dec 31, 2006 7:02 am

Danzar wrote:Boonie. Done and tasted. Bang on a Little Creatures Pale. The only difference I noticed was that this one is a little too bitter. Other than that, well done - great recipe.

I'd like to take the credit :wink: , but it was from a HBS at Mayfield, that this one was originally borrowed, and then handed to me.

I had 2 last night and I agree the Bitterness was the difference.

The only thing I will change is I will weigh the hops myself as the scales at the Mayfield HBS are a little generous, as you know Danzar.

Did you weigh your hops? as the ones I sent you were a little over and I wrote the weights on the bag for you.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Jan 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Boonie wrote:
Danzar wrote:Boonie. Done and tasted. Bang on a Little Creatures Pale. The only difference I noticed was that this one is a little too bitter. Other than that, well done - great recipe.

I'd like to take the credit :wink: , but it was from a HBS at Mayfield, that this one was originally borrowed, and then handed to me.

The only thing I will change is I will weigh the hops myself as the scales at the Mayfield HBS are a little generous, as you know Danzar.

Did you weigh your hops? as the ones I sent you were a little over and I wrote the weights on the bag for you.

Cheers

Boonie

Nope. I didn't think it would be a great drama if I was slightly out, as the Chinooks were dry hopped for aroma.

Do you think this made the difference?
Danzar

Postby Boonie » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Danzar wrote:
Boonie wrote:

Cheers

Boonie

Nope. I didn't think it would be a great drama if I was slightly out, as the Chinooks were dry hopped for aroma.

Do you think this made the difference?

Maybe a little bit. The only way to find out is 'ave another go.

Which I will do soon .

Will post back if any major change.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby scblack » Sunday Jan 07, 2007 10:33 am

Boonie wrote:
I am at Belmont (Lake Macquarie).

Weston near Kurri is about 40 Minutes from me, over the mountain. I worked at Kurri Kurri. :wink:

Four infections :shock: Man what are you using for "sterility", besides a picture of Amanda Vanstone.

When I had an infection I double dosed my solution and soaked all the gear for 3 days.

Good luck with it mate, nothing worse than tipping beer out :cry:

I seem to have sorted my problem by boiling all water used. Looks like a wild yeast was the culprit, so my sanitation was not the issue.
scblack

Postby Danzar » Monday Jan 08, 2007 11:50 am

Boonie, I bought a stubby of LCPA on Friday and did a taste comparison test. A friend and girlfriend provided second and third opinions respectively.

This recipe's bitterness is actually slightly less not more. Aside from that, it's a good 97% match. My fellow taste testers both thought the clone was better.

And the head retention is phenomenal. Much better head than the commercial version. No grains used. Wow.
Danzar

Postby timmy » Monday Jan 08, 2007 4:19 pm

What's the finished volume of Boonie's recipe? I had assumed it was 23L but want to be sure before I give it a crack....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Boonie » Monday Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm

timmy wrote:What's the finished volume of Boonie's recipe? I had assumed it was 23L but want to be sure before I give it a crack....

Cheers,

Tim

G'day Tim,

Yep 23 Litres.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Boonie » Monday Jan 08, 2007 6:08 pm

Danzar wrote:Boonie, I bought a stubby of LCPA on Friday and did a taste comparison test. A friend and girlfriend provided second and third opinions respectively.

This recipe's bitterness is actually slightly less not more. Aside from that, it's a good 97% match. My fellow taste testers both thought the clone was better.

And the head retention is phenomenal. Much better head than the commercial version. No grains used. Wow.

Less Bitter :wink: ....excellent, glad to see you enjoy it.

I think it is as good if not better, but I am biased on every brew I make, it just always tastes better. :D

The head retention with this recipe is fantastic I agree. Very creamy and thick.

I have the ingredients for another batch that will probably go down tonight, or tomorrow night at the latest.

In regards to the grain, I put down my first partial last night and it is bubbling away very nicely......fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback Dan, good to hear how the recipes that we post, have gone.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes