LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 17, 2007 1:34 pm

I was planning on dropping in today during my much break to pick up stuff for the golden ale clone but dont have that much time to kill!

As for the cluster, i think you can sub that without too many dramas, the cascade and chinook are crucial tho (IMO). In fact, my next LCPA will be made without cluster and adding extra cascade instead.
drsmurto

Postby ozcah » Friday Aug 17, 2007 2:08 pm

Dr Smurto,

I like your thought about the cascade. I'm guessing the cluster is in there for some bitterness (though at 15 minutes it won't really give that) but maybe to offset the citrussy flavour the cascade gives out.

I think I'll give the perle a go (including the cascade in boil too) and see what I end up with.

hmm so many hops, too much to chose from.

Catchya
Osc
ozcah

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 17, 2007 2:22 pm

The cluster is supposed to add an earthy flavour to the beer but i suspect it is getting lost with the chinook and cascade in it.

It has been suggested to me that dropping the cluster would be a good idea - i didnt want to make too many changes in case i screwed it up but it will be dropped/swapped for extra cascade in my next batch
drsmurto

Postby forcetwelve » Friday Aug 24, 2007 8:29 am

i used perle instead of cluster and it was pretty close. dont use too much though as i find perle gives a really dirty/earthy taste.
"Like a rat with a gold tooth."
forcetwelve

Postby ozcah » Friday Aug 24, 2007 9:15 am

Hiya,

I used Perle, about 12g of it as I had to buy a plug and then "trim" some off, so it was an estimate at best.

Hopefully it's not too overpowering but we'll see. It's happily fermenting away and I hope to dry hop on Sunday and bottle the following weekend.

Looking forward to the result though.

Catchya
Osc
ozcah

Postby qikdatute » Sunday Aug 26, 2007 6:55 pm

Heya,

Im another to give this recipe a whirl and I have tasted it from the secondary today - unreal!!!!! This is awesome!!
qikdatute

Postby collapoo » Friday Aug 31, 2007 11:49 pm

anyone tried using cultured yeast from a lcpa bottle, I have a pint bottle and I am thinking of using the yeast from the bottom of it.
collapoo

Postby brew.exe » Saturday Sep 01, 2007 1:08 am

The primary yeast is filtered off and a secondary conditioning yeast is added, don't think they are the same.

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6157&highlight=lcpa

You can also find some info on their web page.
brew.exe

Postby collapoo » Saturday Sep 01, 2007 8:25 am

cheers for that mate, very interesting. still I may give it a go with a smaller test batch and let you know how it goes!
collapoo

Postby heathen » Saturday Sep 01, 2007 4:53 pm

hey y'all, just tapped this keg and it would have to be the best clone i've done so far. just wanted to thank boonie for his introduction of this recipe. truly an inspired beer. great work. warm regards, heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby drsmurto » Monday Sep 03, 2007 10:58 am

Been away for a week on a houseboat, got thru a case of JSGA. Nice and relaxed and then find out that i won a few prixes for the beers i entered in the Gawler show.

3rd prize for a dark ale
2nd prize for my ginger beer
1st prize and Best in Show for my LCPA clone which is the reversed hop schedule from Boonies original post plus some JW caramalt steeped.

Its on tap in my bar and all the mates love it so thought it would do ok but be shown up by the AG beers.....

So Boonie - cheers for the inspiration! The trophy is now sitting proudly next to the tap.

Cheers
DrSmurto - grinning from ear to ear
drsmurto

Postby James L » Monday Sep 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Congrats.. Dr S

I was reading one of the pamphlets you get at LCPA the brewery, and it says:

" a feature of the batch brewing is the infusion of the beer out of the kettle through a hopback full of of whole Oregan hop flowers"

Does this mean they pretty much strain the wort through a container full of hops?

Has anyone tried anything like this?
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby rwh » Monday Sep 03, 2007 12:50 pm

James L wrote:Does this mean they pretty much strain the wort through a container full of hops?

Yep. A hop back is a container of hops through which the wort travels. After going through the hop-back, the wort is crash chilled using a plate or couterflow chiller, essentially trapping the more volatile compounds in the wort.
Has anyone tried anything like this?

It's quite common, but I haven't tried it as my immersion chiller is not suitable for this process.
w00t!
rwh

Postby warra48 » Monday Sep 03, 2007 2:52 pm

drsmurto wrote:
1st prize and Best in Show for my LCPA clone which is the reversed hop schedule from Boonies original post plus some JW caramalt steeped.

Wow, well done, congratulations.

Just goes to show that although AG may on avarage produce better beers, it ain't necesarily always so.

My batch of this is drinking beautifully. The father-in-law yesterday even asked for a refill, and he never has more than one beer.
warra48

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Sep 04, 2007 12:59 pm

drsmurto wrote:Been away for a week on a houseboat, got thru a case of JSGA. Nice and relaxed and then find out that i won a few prixes for the beers i entered in the Gawler show.

3rd prize for a dark ale
2nd prize for my ginger beer

Its on tap in my bar and all the mates love it so thought it would do ok but be shown up by the AG beers.....

So Boonie - cheers for the inspiration! The trophy is now sitting proudly next to the tap.

Cheers
DrSmurto - grinning from ear to ear

Congratulations Doc, good to see, knocking off AG Beers is definitely an accomplishment :D

Best in Show, bloody hell, that's awesome Doc.....no wonder you are smiling :wink: I'm glad the original inspired you to alter and obviously better given the result. I'll have to give it a crack.

Were you using the Morgans can for that one?

Also, can you email me your Ginger Beer recipe or post it here of course :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby sonictruth » Tuesday Sep 04, 2007 4:38 pm

wouldnt mind having a gander at that dark ale recipe too!! :D
sonictruth

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday Sep 05, 2007 6:52 am

yeah - DR, can you post your final LCPA recipe?

Thanks
forcetwelve

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 05, 2007 9:56 am

Will start a new thread with the recipes in.
drsmurto

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday Sep 05, 2007 10:03 am

legend!
forcetwelve

Postby warra48 » Monday Sep 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Daughter and boyfriend were up here last weekend, after escaping the Sydney APEC madness.
He's a serious beer drinker. Sampled a few different HB's, but once he'd tasted the LCPA clone, he wouldn't drink anything else.
He even said, shite, if HB can taste that good, I'll have to get into it myself.
warra48

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes