LCPA Recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby forcetwelve » Friday Jun 01, 2007 8:04 pm

you're a legend boonie. i'm thinking of actioning a similar battle plan - one lcpa every 2 weeks and the rest is up for grabs.

* just put a choc porter down, very dark, very rich. excited... :wink:
"Like a rat with a gold tooth."
forcetwelve

LCPA Clone - Extract Version

Postby Trizza » Saturday Jun 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Using this topic and some other sites, I've pieced together a Malt-Extract recipe for LCPA.

3.5 Kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
250 g Light Crystal Malt
250 g Cara-Pils Malt
15 g Chinook Hop Pellets @ 60 minutes
15 g Perle Hop Pellets @ 30 minutes
15 g Cascade Hop Pellets @ 20 minutes
15 g Cascade Hop Pellets @ 10 minutes
30 g Cascade Hop Pellets @ 5 minutes
15 g Chinook Hop Pellets @ Dry Hop

Cara-pils can be used without a mash as far as i know.

What do people think of this recipe?

Trizza.
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby rwh » Monday Jun 04, 2007 10:44 am

Looks accurate to me. I prefer the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipes that are floating around, they're less out-of-balance-hoppy than the LC.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Not bad Trizza, but I'd dry hop with 20g of Amarillo rather than Chinook.
Anyway, have a go and let us know how you went...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 5:05 pm

so is that recipe above a AG recipe or kit?
forcetwelve

Postby pixelboy » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 5:07 pm

Its extract.. un-hopped liquid malt extract.

Coopers and Morgans make em in 1.5kg cans.
pixelboy

Postby forcetwelve » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 5:09 pm

nice. has anyone tasted the outcome yet?
forcetwelve

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Put the LCPA down today. I only made it up to 22 litres, and the OG came in at 1044. I managed to get the temp down to 18c by my usual block of filtered boiled frozen water, and by chilling 5 litres of the water in the beer fridge for a day. Looking forward to a good result. Now that the cold weather is here, the next batch or two will be pilsners. Will go the LCPA again after that, and then a JSAA. I am slowly building up all the equipment needed to go all grain (have done partials only to date).
My wife keeps asking when I am ever going to drink all this beer. I tell her I am maturing all of my beer, and need to build up at least an average of a years supply, but also when Christmas/New Year comes around and the son/daughter in law/daughter/partner lob in, I won't have to spend megabucks buying expensive beer. The wine I can raid my wine cellar for ( I tend to drink my wines at an average age of 10 years, but that is off topic). I drink a hellavu lot more beer now than wine.
warra48

Postby Rysa » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 6:32 pm

warra48 wrote:My wife keeps asking when I am ever going to drink all this beer.

Ha! That's funny so does mine.
Rysa

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 7:01 pm

I was having trouble keeping up Brew time with drink time.........simple, buy another couple of fermenters :lol:

I have 5 fermenters going at the moment and 150+ filled.

Should keep me going for a while.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Rysa » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 7:40 pm

I'd love to get some more but two is enough for me at the moment.
But for sure consumption is close behind production.
It's been hard lately to organise time to bottle the two especially if O.T. takes away my days off and i end up bottling both on the same day.

With five i'd be stuffed!!
Rysa

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 7:45 pm

[quote="Rysa"]It's been hard lately to organise time to bottle.quote]

And then there are the lucky bastards like me who are retired but still young enough to drink almost as much as in our younger days....
Just hang in there guys, your time will come.
warra48

Postby Trizza » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 7:54 pm

And then there are the even luckier ones, like me who are still at uni and only go 3 days a week, and get 4 months of holidays free a year, and can still party 4 nights of the week :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've only been legally allowed to drink for less than 2 years!!!
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 8:53 pm

You lucky bugger Trizza. :wink:

I have 2 that have been racked and 3 fermenting, so I have to bottle 2 on Sunday and rack the other 3.

I then will throw down another 2 batches on Monday. So at this pace it will be 150 Longies a fortnight bottled :D or there abouts.

I have been a little slack lately, so I am going all out and I am stocking up on LCPA, 1 batch per week, and the others are experimental.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jun 17, 2007 5:14 pm

warra48 wrote:Put the LCPA down today. I only made it up to 22 litres, and the OG came in at 1044. I managed to get the temp down to 18c .

After 9 days I took a SG reading, but it was still at 1020, and the sample tasted far too malty and sweet. I realised the temp had dropped to 16ºC, and the fermentation had stuck. I dry hopped with the Chinook, and hauled the fermenter upstairs. I really impressed my wife (not)by sticking it in the middle of the loungeroom floor in front of the heater. Temp increased to low 20ºC level, and fermantation took off again. SG sample this morning was down to 1011, which I guess means it is now fermented out. Sample tasted like beer finally, and I think it will be a very good drop. It'll have to live in the fermenter until Monday 25.6.07, as I have to go to Sydney for a few days (but I'll get to sample my son's latest batch, which he tells me is a brown ale.)
Last edited by warra48 on Monday Jun 25, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warra48

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jun 21, 2007 1:51 pm

A sad day approaches. I am down to 1 longie of this fabulous drop. Tis the original recipe Boonie posted all those months ago. I drank the penultimate longie last night and was close to tears. I dont know how long i can wait before i drink the last one.....

Boonie, thank you for such a tasty last few months. I have enjoyed every drop. I have sworn i wont make another K&K now that i have my AG gear almost ready so i have a mate about to give this ago with a few slight adjustments/tweaks. 250g crystal and swapping the chinook and casade around. 50g of choc or carafa 3 to darken it a little. Just talking about it wants me to sneak out and make it despite my AG drive.

But the important take home message is that this K&K recipe is that good. Really, it is. Maybe not as good as an AG version but its a close 2nd.

Boonie, I am in your debt. If you ever get over to the land of coopers i owe you beers mate.

Cheers, beers and tears
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Jun 22, 2007 11:35 am

Boonie wrote:You lucky bugger Trizza. :wink:

I have 2 that have been racked and 3 fermenting, so I have to bottle 2 on Sunday and rack the other 3.

I then will throw down another 2 batches on Monday. So at this pace it will be 150 Longies a fortnight bottled :D or there abouts.

I have been a little slack lately, so I am going all out and I am stocking up on LCPA, 1 batch per week, and the others are experimental.

Cheers

Boonie

Boonie - stop stuffing around with glass - you need kegs son! :wink:
Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Friday Jun 22, 2007 12:08 pm

drsmurto wrote:A sad day approaches. I am down to 1 longie of this fabulous drop. Tis the original recipe Boonie posted all those months ago. I drank the penultimate longie last night and was close to tears. I dont know how long i can wait before i drink the last one.....

Boonie, thank you for such a tasty last few months. I have enjoyed every drop. I have sworn i wont make another K&K now that i have my AG gear almost ready so i have a mate about to give this ago with a few slight adjustments/tweaks. 250g crystal and swapping the chinook and casade around. 50g of choc or carafa 3 to darken it a little. Just talking about it wants me to sneak out and make it despite my AG drive.

But the important take home message is that this K&K recipe is that good. Really, it is. Maybe not as good as an AG version but its a close 2nd.

Boonie, I am in your debt. If you ever get over to the land of coopers i owe you beers mate.

Cheers, beers and tears
DrSmurto

Thanks Doc, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

When I get to the Birdsville(?) Museum, the one with all the cars, I'll suggest to my wife that we "drop in" to a pre arranged pub, mobile in hand in Adelaide.

Quote TL
Boonie - stop stuffing around with glass - you need kegs son!

I have been bidding on Ebay for Fridges already set-up. I missed out on one that was in Merewether about 15k's away. It had 3 19L kegs with taps and all for 480.00. I fell asleep during the bids after a hard day drinking......Sunday bloody sunday. The guy who won it lives in NT, could be one of you blokes.

Cheers

Boonie

PS To the fella who emailed me last night, I will get to the question when I get home.
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Boonie

That would be the National Motor Museum at Birdwood, 5 mins away from where i live and another 5 mins away from the new Lobethal Bierhaus

Let me know when you are in my neck of the woods, a few beers are definitely on the cards. Maybe a few of the other croweaters on here might like to join in.........

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Boonie » Friday Jun 22, 2007 6:28 pm

drsmurto wrote:Boonie

That would be the National Motor Museum at Birdwood, 5 mins away from where i live and another 5 mins away from the new Lobethal Bierhaus

Let me know when you are in my neck of the woods, a few beers are definitely on the cards. Maybe a few of the other croweaters on here might like to join in.........

Cheers
DrSmurto

G'day Doc,

I've actually been told there is an awesome German pub nearby too. The micro looks awesome.

My ultimate car is there, the car museum that is, not the pub. the Holden GTRX....

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes