Twocan coopers stout & dark ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Twocan coopers stout & dark ale

Postby melykabeer » Sunday Mar 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey Guys

I tried a stout for the first time a few weeks ago was just a coopers stout cant remember which one (if coopers make more than 1 type of stout). I quite liked it so i was thinking of trying to brew a stout. Im not trying to match it but just something in that style. If i were to do a twocan brew with a can of coopers stout and a can of dark ale what type of hops would go well with it?

In the freezer i have amarillo, cascade, cluster & chinook about 50g of each. i would prefer to use one of these but i will buy some more if none of these would suit as my experience in adding hops is limited to a few brews so im not sure how each ones tastes.

also is the kit yeast ok to use? i have a batch on atm of boonies LCPA clone and am planning to harvest the yeast to use again safale us-05 i can use some of this if it would be any better?

Thanks
melykabeer

Re: Twocan coopers stout & dark ale

Postby Old Gil » Monday Mar 17, 2008 7:31 am

I would go the Chinook, thats waht I usually put in my porters/stouts. Maybe 20g @ 20 mins and 5 - 10g @ 5 mins. I also put about 10g POR @ 60 mins for some extra bitterness
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby KEG » Monday Mar 17, 2008 7:57 am

keep in mind, a two-can is already going to have more bitterness than a single can brew.. i personally wouldn't add any more hops at all - but i think malt should be at the frontline in a stout.
KEG

Postby earle » Monday Mar 17, 2008 8:26 am

I also think that stouts and porters should be malt driven. I've got a twocan in the fermenter at the moment with a Cascade porter and Coppers dark ale. Although there is plenty of malt the calculated IBU should be 51 so I haven't added any extra hops. For a stout and dark ale the IBU would be 62.4 if you use the Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout or 70.6 if you use the standard coopers stout. Depends what type of stout you're after as to whether you need any more bitterness. BJCP guidelines here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.html
earle

Postby timmy » Monday Mar 17, 2008 8:35 am

Hi,
I made a toucan like this as my brew #6. I ended up rehydrating both kit yeast sachets and adding them and it turned out fine. The US-05 might give you fruitiness that is out of character unless you keep your temps down. I reckon the recipe could use a bit more hop flavour but you will run the risk of excessive bitterness.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Old Gil » Monday Mar 17, 2008 8:38 am

I add the hops because i've found that they seem do dissipate in the kit, or maybe i just like em bitter. Thats a pretty good site earle, thanks for pointing it out :)
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby petesbrew » Monday Mar 17, 2008 8:47 am

I did this recipe a couple of years ago and it was absolutely fantastic. The stout &dark cans, 500g brown sugar, both yeasts, filled to 23litres, and brewed at 18 degrees.
Every time I've done it since, I've added things (grain, hops, mulberries), and it's never been as good as the original K&K version.
I've got the cans in the garage ready to go, but I'm waiting for these late summer temps to drop back down (my garage is currently around 25 degrees).

edit: I have to admit, every time I've added some finishing hops, it's always been very bitter, and has taken months to mellow out.
Last edited by petesbrew on Monday Mar 17, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
petesbrew

Postby scblack » Monday Mar 17, 2008 9:15 am

I have done a stout with the Coopers Stout and a Tooheys Dark Ale.

I found it too bitter. Would have much preferred to use 1 can + malts than the twocan mix.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby melykabeer » Monday Mar 17, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks ill try it without any additions for my first go, wont adding extra malt be a bit too much sugar for the yeast to eat?
melykabeer

Postby timmy » Monday Mar 17, 2008 8:12 pm

You should be OK adding extra malt. The kit yeasts should work up to about 7% at a guess but the US-05 should go higher.
timmy

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Mar 20, 2008 5:09 pm

timmy wrote:You should be OK adding extra malt. The kit yeasts should work up to about 7% at a guess but the US-05 should go higher.

I've heard 11% for Coopers kit yeast - heresay only
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Mar 20, 2008 5:36 pm

I have done 10% brews with a single sachet of Coopers yeast :o
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby gregb » Thursday Mar 20, 2008 7:45 pm

In this thread I referred to an experiment that was done by Coopers to determine just how far a kit yeast would go. Got to 13.2% before crapping out.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby el-worto » Monday Mar 24, 2008 10:48 pm

I am thinking of doing something similar (tin of Coopers Stout & a tin of Dark Ale) but add some candi sugar.
I would like to ensure there will be decent head on the beer.

Am I on the right track here or is there enough fermentables in the kits alone?
if so, how much candi sugar is needed to make a difference (23l all up)?

I'll probably use the Coopers yeast and no hop additions.

Cheers,
Lance
Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act -- hesitate.
el-worto

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Mar 25, 2008 7:51 am

el-worto wrote:I am thinking of doing something similar (tin of Coopers Stout & a tin of Dark Ale) but add some candi sugar.
I would like to ensure there will be decent head on the beer.

Am I on the right track here or is there enough fermentables in the kits alone?
if so, how much candi sugar is needed to make a difference (23l all up)?

I'll probably use the Coopers yeast and no hop additions.

Cheers,
Lance

In terms of gravity/%, 2 kits is fine, will give you about 5.5%. You could add other fermentables bu I'd go easy if you are looking to make a regular stout (~5.5 - 6.5% normally)
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby petesbrew » Tuesday Mar 25, 2008 8:53 am

Mixed mine up on Friday night. Taste from the hydrometer tube was absolutely gorgeous. OG=1062
Adding both yeasts makes it ferment like a damn shotgun. Not sure if it's the right thing to do, but if the recipe aint broke...

When I got back from an easter weekend, the Kruasen was coming out of the airlock. (did that last time as well)
petesbrew

Postby petesbrew » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 6:51 am

Gave mine a sample last night. The taste was so yum I forgot the actual hydrometer reading I got! :D
petesbrew

Postby petesbrew » Monday Apr 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Cracked one open a tad early last friday night. Bloody gorgeous. Next time I vow to replace the sugar with Dark Malt Extract though.
petesbrew

Postby matr » Friday May 02, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm going to throw down one of these this weekend. Sounds like a good winter beer...

I'm going to add extra fermentables so it's a nice strong warming stout.

Was going to go for 500grms LDME & 300 - 500grms Dark Brown sugar.

Has anyone ever added drinking chocolate (powder) before? Would it be ok to add?

Cheer's Mat..
matr

Postby melykabeer » Friday Aug 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Guys! and the odd Gal in here lol

This is probably the best home brew i have done (1x dark ale, 1x stout + 500g LDME). Beautiful roastyness flavor, best stout ive drunk so far, I have recently polished off some bottles that are at least 6 months old, the older it gets the smoother and yummier it gets. I have 1 tally left thats nearly 1 year old, ill keep this as long as I can before i can stand to drink it. I fill to 23l its drinkable in the first few weeks in the bottle but 6 months+ really does it.

I am putting another one down this weekend with 1x dark ale & 1x stout, 500gm oat malt from craft brewer and both packets of coopers yeast.
melykabeer

Next

Return to Recipes