Timothy Taylor Landlord

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Timothy Taylor Landlord

Postby James L » Tuesday Sep 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Bottled on Sunday...

tasted pretty darn good... i have never tried the original but i was suitably impressed.

The NZ goldings varieties worked great... I still have enough to maybe boost it next time and make an IPA... i have 80g of styrians i could aroma hop steep with...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 03, 2008 10:13 am

What yeast did you end up using James?

I have another batch in primary that used 1968. Never used it before but all reports on AHB suggest it produces a malt driven beer. Checked the gravity on Monday night and its down to 1.017 (from 1.045) and tasted beautiful.

Am waiting for the next round of Wyeast VSS which i am reliably informed will contain 1469 again.
drsmurto

Postby James L » Thursday Sep 04, 2008 2:04 pm

I just went with the 1028... mainly so i can use it to make some coopers sparks too...
James L

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Made a few very nice ESBs with 1028. Nothing wrong with that yeast, prob a tad underrated IMO.
drsmurto

Postby James L » Thursday Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

early days... havent had much experience with english style ales...

I wouldn't mind a gander at some of your other recipes, just to see the type of grain bill and hop schedule you use...
James L

Postby CaptArmo » Tuesday Oct 07, 2008 2:36 pm

I moved from Leeds to Los Angeles about 7 years ago and have had several attempts at the recipe. This is the closest I've got...

5 U.S. Gallon batch

8lb Maris Otter
4oz Belgian Aromatic
8oz 60L English Crystal

60min 1oz Fuggles
15min 2/3oz Kent Goldings
1min 2/3oz Styrian

OG at 1.036

I used a mix of local spring water and tap water.
Whitelabs WLP002 English Ale yeast.
CaptArmo

Postby Timmsy » Friday Oct 31, 2008 7:47 am

Have brought the ingridiants for this and giving this a go this weekend. Any tips before i do?? Am just going to follow Smurtos recipe on page 1
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will.
Timmsy

Postby drsmurto » Friday Oct 31, 2008 12:20 pm

I brewed one of these on Saturday. Added 50g of choc malt to adjust the colour but the rest is the same.

Will be checking the gravity this evening which requires at least 285mL....... :lol:

Timmsy - Assuming you have done a few AGs this is a stock standard, simple, single infusion. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I didnt build up a starter for this one, just smacked (1469) and dumped 5 hours later. I bought 1 kg of styrian plugs so should be able to do this a few more times.... :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Timmsy » Friday Oct 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Yep a few very basic AG's. Actually ive been using my partial esky and just uped the grain and next thing i know it i havnt been using any malts..... Funny how i got into it. Am just waiting for my bigger AG gear to be finished

I got the grain bill and hops from Wayne and the 1469 yeast. So hopefully this weekend i get time!

Juust curious can i cultivate the yeast cake and keep it for further use as i see it as a shame to just waste it. If so how the hell do i? Is there a dummies guide to do it?
Timmsy

Postby drsmurto » Friday Oct 31, 2008 7:47 pm

Yeast Farming
Starting Wyeast

My methods FWIW

Starting Wyeast
If i have time i build a 2L (or 5L if making a lager) starter prior to brew day.

1. Smack pack, let swell. Whilst a swollen pack isnt necessary it wakes up the yeast and gets them going.

2. 2L of cold water with 200g of LDME - boil for 10-15mins and then cool to 25-30C.

3. Pitch yeast, aerate it till your arm is about to drop off and either stir if you have a stir plate or shake the container every time you pass it.

4. Wait till fermentation is complete, or close to. Crash chill o/n, pour off beer and tip ~1/4 into a sanitised container. Pitch the remaining into wort.

Yeast Farming

1. Rack beer once fermentation is complete.

2. Add ~1.5L of cooled, boiled water to yeast cake and shake.

3. Pour into sanitised container.

4. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and then pour of milky suspension leaving the solid on the bottom of the container behind (this is usually cold break and contains a small amount of yeast but not enough to worry about)

5. Put in the fridge and wait till the yeast flocs out.

6. Pour off the liquid and add more cooled boiled water.

7. Repeat last 2 steps till the water is pretty much colourless.

8. At this point i either split it into several batches to store long term or pitch 1/2 into a fresh wort and split the rest.

Hope that makes sense. Slanting is another option but one i havent explored yet. This works for me.

Cheers
DrSMurto

p.s. once you discover liquid yeasts you will find it very hard to go back to dry. I still use US-05 and nottingham occasionally but wouldnt dare make an english beer or a lager with a dry yeast. The cost becomes irrelevant if you reuse the yeast.
drsmurto

Postby Timmsy » Tuesday Nov 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks bud i will have a read a couple times untill i can get my head wraped around it then give this a shot

Also because i only have a 19ltr stock pot i have to adjust the hops on beersmith when i get home. I will have to set it to 19ltr pot 15.8ltr boil??
Timmsy

Postby studio1 » Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi Dr Smurto...just wondering how long you allow for this one to condition? secondary, keg or bottle?
Thanks - have just put a version down of this recipe.
studio1

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 3:09 pm

How long is a piece of string? :lol:

Ideally i like to cc it for at least 2 weeks (gelatine/finings etc) and then keg it.

Once in the keg i force carb it, taste it (a few pints needed to do this) and then leave it sit (inside at ~18C) till its needed. That is generally at least another 2 weeks.

So 2 weeks primary, 2 week secondary and at least 2 weeks in the keg.

Current batch was brewed 27/08. Perfectly clear and a damn tasty pint.
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 7:25 pm

drsmurto wrote:Yeast Farming
Starting Wyeast

My methods FWIW

Starting Wyeast
If i have time i build a 2L (or 5L if making a lager) starter prior to brew day.

1. Smack pack, let swell. Whilst a swollen pack isnt necessary it wakes up the yeast and gets them going.

2. 2L of cold water with 200g of LDME - boil for 10-15mins and then cool to 25-30C.

3. Pitch yeast, aerate it till your arm is about to drop off and either stir if you have a stir plate or shake the container every time you pass it.

4. Wait till fermentation is complete, or close to. Crash chill o/n, pour off beer and tip ~1/4 into a sanitised container. Pitch the remaining into wort.

Yeast Farming

1. Rack beer once fermentation is complete.

2. Add ~1.5L of cooled, boiled water to yeast cake and shake.

3. Pour into sanitised container.

4. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and then pour of milky suspension leaving the solid on the bottom of the container behind (this is usually cold break and contains a small amount of yeast but not enough to worry about)

5. Put in the fridge and wait till the yeast flocs out.

6. Pour off the liquid and add more cooled boiled water.

7. Repeat last 2 steps till the water is pretty much colourless.

8. At this point i either split it into several batches to store long term or pitch 1/2 into a fresh wort and split the rest.

Hope that makes sense. Slanting is another option but one i havent explored yet. This works for me.

Cheers
DrSMurto

p.s. once you discover liquid yeasts you will find it very hard to go back to dry. I still use US-05 and nottingham occasionally but wouldnt dare make an english beer or a lager with a dry yeast. The cost becomes irrelevant if you reuse the yeast.

Looks like a good "Yeast starting & harvesting" sticky, if you ask me....I use the same methods although life's a bit easier with the homemade stir plate :D

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby gregb » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 6:44 am

It is already, I separated it out to keep it focused.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 9:07 am

I have a couple of stir plates TL - just not the home made variety :shock:

And to try and keep this on topic - had a few pints of current Landlord again last night. I cant not drink it. I can hear it calling me all the way home from work!
drsmurto

Postby warra48 » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 2:55 pm

This one's joined the shortlist of brews to do.
I've just received some WY1968 and WY1469 from Ross, plus 450 gr of Styrian.
I do like the idea of adding about 50 gr of chocolate to the malt bill. I add that to almost all of my ales, whether American or English, as I really like some colour in my beers.
warra48

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 10:57 pm

warra48 wrote:...I do like the idea of adding about 50 gr of chocolate to the malt bill. I add that to almost all of my ales, whether American or English, as I really like some colour in my beers.

Agreed - it adds some nice and subtle complexity to the malt flavour profile as well. You scored some excellent yeast from Ross - get into it, you won't regret it!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Rob C » Wednesday Dec 10, 2008 1:17 pm

Brewing this Recipe as i type. Hit my pre boil volume and gravity spot on 80% into boiler.

I also added 30grams of choc malt, Also noticed thismorning the Styrian Goldings i had were the NZ variety not the Solvenian. but we will see how it goes.

Fermenting with Wyeast 1469.

Cheers
Rob
Rob C

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Dec 22, 2008 9:30 am

Have you had a taster yet Rob?
Image Image
Trough Lolly

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes