American Pale Ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

American Pale Ale

Postby Pom » Sunday Sep 27, 2009 5:15 pm

I still have a 3kg can of ESB american plae ale to use up. Im just about to put a yeast starter of Wyeast american ale on to be ready for next wekend. By that time I will have built it up to 5l.
I have Pick Chinook as the bittering hop as I have not used it before and would like to use some Amarillo as a finishing hop for the same reason. I picked these from C.Papazian, joy of homebrewing list of suitable hops for this type of Pale ale. I have plenty of Cascade if people think this is a better Bittering hop to use.

Im still very basic with Beersmith but this is what I put together.

23l

3kg ESB American Pale Ale kit
1kg Amber liquid malt.
250g crystal malt
30g Chinook for 60 mins
20g Amarillo 10 mins before flame out

OG 1.053
FG 1.013
35.5 IBU

What do you think
Any comments welcome.
Cheer Pom.
Last edited by Pom on Sunday Oct 04, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pom

Re: American Pale Ale

Postby Bizier » Sunday Sep 27, 2009 6:40 pm

If there is considerable kit bitterness, perhaps it would be best to just get a bunch of any/all of these hops and put them in at 5-0 minutes before a good chill. Chinook on top of a kit might make yourself an IPA rather than an APA... both are good, but I prefer LOADS of aroma hops if it is called an IPA.
Bizier

Postby banger » Friday Oct 02, 2009 8:13 pm

You might want to consider dry hopping with a bit of Amarillo as well, this should add something to the aroma. Hard to go wrong with Amarillo i reckon, makes a beautiful beer.
banger

Postby matr » Friday Oct 02, 2009 11:16 pm

banger wrote:You might want to consider dry hopping with a bit of Amarillo as well, this should add something to the aroma. Hard to go wrong with Amarillo i reckon, makes a beautiful beer.

I 2nd the Amarillo... Love it. :D

Pom you may want to check your Crystal amount... 25grms??? should it be 250grms?
matr

Postby Pom » Sunday Oct 04, 2009 11:15 am

Yes sorry for the typo it should be 250g. Thanks matr
will change.
Pom :oops:
Never dry hopped before, should I add it when I rack? or when I first put it into the fermenter? And how much ?
Cheers
Pom

Postby Bizier » Sunday Oct 04, 2009 1:25 pm

You can just add to fermenter after yeast has finished. You will get better results if you have cleared the beer and then racked, but the trade off is increased risk of oxidation & infection. I think you could just add straight to the primary, but just add a little more. Keep it warmer for the hop oils to be more easily dissolved.

Today I tried something in a split 50L batch of APA: I just added 40g of cascade to a small amount of boiling water/beer. I put the sanitised lid back on and cooled it in a water bath for 30 secs or so to wash most of the heat off. This was added to the bulk priming vessel, stirred, then left for an hour or so for hop contact and settling. Came back and bottled. It tasted bloody good enough to stay there and drink.
Bizier

Return to Recipes