Wheat Kings Steam Lager

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Wheat Kings Steam Lager

Postby Finnagann » Sunday May 23, 2010 4:01 am

I've finally gathered all the ingredients and found the time for my 2nd AG batch :D We're go for launch tomorrow and I thought I would run my latest madness by some of you pros. I had planned to do an american wheat but a lack of proper wheat yeast avail led me to crank the hops a bit and go steam lager with wyeast 2112.

I'd love a little feedback: I'm looking to have it hop foreward but with some semblance of balance. Do I have enough malt to support the hops here? Also any tips on fermentation schedule would be appreciated... I was thinking of leaving it for ~3 weeks primary and bottling. Start it at around 16C and slowly raise it to 18 at three days and then up to 20 or so to let it finish.

What do you think?

Recipe: Wheat Kings Steam Lager
Style: 6D-Light Hybrid Beer-American Wheat/Rye Beer

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 25.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.60 l
Volume Transferred: 20.00 l
Water Added: 3.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 23.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.052 SG
Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.015 SG
Expected ABV: 4.6 %
Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 35.0
Expected Color: 3.0 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 69.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 16 degC

Fermentables
German Wheat Malt 2800 g (47.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Pilsner Malt 2800 g (47.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Pils 300 g (5.1 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
German Perle (7.0 % alpha) 21 g Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Magnum (10.0 % alpha) 10 g Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
German Perle (7.0 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
German Perle (7.0 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (5.0 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (5.0 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 1 Min From End
Slovenian Styrian Goldings (5.0 % alpha) 7 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
German Perle (7.0 % alpha) 7 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients

Yeast: Wyeast 2112-California Lager

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 90 mins

Recipe Notes
Finnagann

Re: Wheat Kings Steam Lager

Postby warra48 » Sunday May 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Looks good to me, but I've never brewed a Steam Beer. Interesting cross section of styles, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Does dry hopping fit into this style?
warra48

Postby Finnagann » Sunday May 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Good question... hard to pin as its sitting between two styles. What do you think warra? Would it add or take away?

edt: it is appropriate for a cali common but not so much for wheat. I'll have some time to think on it at any rate.
Finnagann

Postby warra48 » Sunday May 23, 2010 2:48 pm

With the yeast you are using, it more akin to a Steam Beer than a Wheat.
If you like the hop aroma, I'd add it. It's your beer, for you to drink and enjoy.
Beer styles are only designed to give judges in competitions some standards and parameters to judge against.
We can brew anything we like, we are not restricted to styles.

I'd say you will make a nice refreshing but easy drinking beer.
Nothing wrong with that, it's a good target to aim at. We can't drink IIPAs, Barley Wines, or Baltic Porters etc all the time!
warra48

Postby Finnagann » Monday May 24, 2010 9:27 am

warra48 wrote:With the yeast you are using, it more akin to a Steam Beer than a Wheat.
If you like the hop aroma, I'd add it. It's your beer, for you to drink and enjoy.
Beer styles are only designed to give judges in competitions some standards and parameters to judge against.
We can brew anything we like, we are not restricted to styles.

I'd say you will make a nice refreshing but easy drinking beer.
Nothing wrong with that, it's a good target to aim at. We can't drink IIPAs, Barley Wines, or Baltic Porters etc all the time!

Good points Warra! I'm looking foreward to tasting this one. I think I will dry hop, just a little of each.

Looks like I overshot my OG this time. Starting at 1.060 which brings it to 81% eff if I'm running my numbers right. Hopefully this won't kick it up too much.

Warra, how do you do your vorlauf? Specifically, how do you pour back into the tun without disturbing the grain bed? I wasn't very successful and have a very cloudy beer to start... hopefully the yeast will wash up ok for me.

Edit: changed my volumes to what I actually ended up with and looks like I got 73% eff (not 83... don't totally understand lol), was aiming for 70. So I shouldn't be as far off as I thought... though my mash was a little low so we'll see.
Last edited by Finnagann on Tuesday May 25, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finnagann

Postby Tipsy » Monday May 24, 2010 10:41 am

Finnagann wrote:Warra, how do you do your vorlauf? Specifically, how do you pour back into the tun without disturbing the grain bed? I wasn't very successful and have a very cloudy beer to start... hopefully the yeast will wash up ok for me.

I gently pour my wort over my mash paddle.
Tipsy

Postby warra48 » Monday May 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I vorlauf about 3 to 4 litres each time.
I have a piece of yoga mat sitting on top of the mash. I gently pour the mash liquor back onto that, allowing reabsorption without channelling.
warra48

Postby Finnagann » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 11:36 pm

warra48 wrote:I vorlauf about 3 to 4 litres each time.
I have a piece of yoga mat sitting on top of the mash. I gently pour the mash liquor back onto that, allowing reabsorption without channelling.

Nice creativity Warra! I'll have to think on some kind of equivalent, my yoga mat is still intact and would most certainly make a sour beer as it ;)
Finnagann

Postby Finnagann » Monday Jun 14, 2010 7:32 am

Well, I took a grav reading yesterday and its down to 1.011. Which makes it 6.5% before adding carb sugar! Its also tasting very hoppy and quite bitter... partly on account of the low FG I think. I imagine it will need some serious conditioning time to mellow out the xtra abv and hoppyness. So much for a quick turn around on a light thirst quencher :shock:

Does anyone know of a chart or solid article explaining in detail how mash temp affects fermentability of wort?
Finnagann

Postby SuperBroo » Monday Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

Somebody elses idea on this forum was pouring back onto a piece of alfoil which has heaps of little holes punched in it.
Seems to work fine.

I just put the alfoil on a towel, and punch away with a pin for a few minutes.
Then put the alfoil in, and fold the sides up a bit, acts like a tray, helps keep heat in, and gently flows the fluid back in without disturbing the grain bed at all :)

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby Finnagann » Monday Jun 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Grog wrote:Somebody elses idea on this forum was pouring back onto a piece of alfoil which has heaps of little holes punched in it.
Seems to work fine.

I just put the alfoil on a towel, and punch away with a pin for a few minutes.
Then put the alfoil in, and fold the sides up a bit, acts like a tray, helps keep heat in, and gently flows the fluid back in without disturbing the grain bed at all :)

cheers,
Chris

hmm, I like this idea as well... especially since I have to go no further than the kitchen to find it :D Thanks Grog.
Finnagann

Return to Recipes