perry

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

perry

Postby speedie » Sunday Aug 29, 2010 10:57 am

Has any one on this site had any success with pear cider the last batch that I made was a failure I think that some wild yeast got into the must and we had a lactic ferment happening
The next time we do pears I will definitely sterile filter the juice
There are some really nice examples of Perry on the market now if you haven’t tried it I would advise a taste session
Speedie
speedie

Re: perry

Postby Planner » Monday Aug 30, 2010 9:40 am

speedie wrote:There are some really nice examples of Perry on the market now if you haven’t tried it I would advise a taste session
Speedie

Agreed Speedie, DM locally has started to stock about 10 varieties of Perry (or pear cider as some are labelled) SWMBO and I are really enjoying them at present.
I can see that before too long I will be looking for some cheap pear juice.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby speedie » Monday Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am

I don’t know how close you live to an orchard but if you can get to know the grower well enough there are some really good deals on second’s fruit that they deem not suitable for the table

The last lot that I purchased was Bartlett and I cost me about $50 for 330Kgs this is good value if you have the time to process all the fruit it should yield about 60% return juice say 200 liters

I bought a bottle Magnars perry yesterday to take to a mates place for a sample and it poured well exhibited a very straw pale colour , little fruit , nice nose but not what I prefer both my friends wife and mine enjoyed it I can see that it would suit the females really well

I had a bottle from Belgium about 2 months back it was I my eyes a lot better product I will try to get the name of it and post it so you can sample
Cheers speedie
speedie

Postby speedie » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 10:17 pm

man no perry drinkers in aussie?
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:20 pm

speedie wrote:man no perry drinkers in aussie?

The only people who refer to Australia as Aussie are kiwis....

There are local perry makers in the Adelaide Hills - search for Lobo cider and perry
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 1:32 pm

You're forgetting people who can't spell Australia.
Bum

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 02, 2010 10:45 pm

ostrayla?
speedie

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .