100% Juice Cider

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

100% Juice Cider

Postby Wassa » Monday Sep 13, 2010 7:30 am

A question guys!!!

I am going to put down a 100% cider using the no added sugar, no preservative juice that you buy in the supermarket. I am going to put it down with 1kg dextrose and I have a sachet of Champagne yeast I am going to use. If I chuck in a couple of sachets of old Coopers year into the boil as a yeast nutrient, will 1 sachet of champagne yeast be enough for the job or should I usre 2???

Thanks and have a good one!!!
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Re: 100% Juice Cider

Postby Bum » Monday Sep 13, 2010 7:42 am

What is your batch size? If it is around a normal single batch size I'd say your average champers yeast should be up to the job.

Now, speaking of the job - assuming you're bottling and letting it ferment out completely and an OG on the juice of 1045 (which I understand is about the average) you'll be punching around 6.5% without the dex. You reckon you'll need it?
Bum

Postby Wassa » Monday Sep 13, 2010 8:07 am

Bum,

I'll probably do a batch of about 20 litres.

Maybe I'll drop the dextrose down to 750gm. I am not adding any lactose because I like my cider dry.

After the cider I am going to do my honey porter and then try a Perry.
Wassa

Postby bullfrog » Monday Sep 13, 2010 11:08 am

I've heard of barley wine, but apple wine? :P

Reckon that wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. A 15% cider would certainly be something. Probably have to get one's head around the methode champenoise beforehand, just for added effect.
bullfrog

Postby Wassa » Monday Sep 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Misread the post, sorry Bum.

Yeah, reckon I can do without the Dex. With it, it would blow your head off.
Wassa

Postby speedie » Wednesday Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am

wassa is it your intention to boil the juice and or water for desolving the dextro
it is general pratice to just use the juice without boil
as bum mentioned try it neat first when ferment is finished you could bottle and prime with a little more neat apple juice to kick off secondary ferment
speedie

Postby Wassa » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 7:19 am

Speedie,

I misread what Bum had to say.

I am going to just use straight juice, maybe boil up the 2 sachets of old Coopers yeast to use as a yeast nutrient for the Champagne yeast I am going to pitch.

There are so many different brands of juice to choose from though. Even the Homebrand juice says it is sugar and preservative free. I think I'll probably go with one of the better name brands though and no an el cheapo Homebrand. After all a cider is only as good as the juice you put into it. Berri looks like the best brand to use so I'll probably go with it.
Wassa

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 7:32 am

Can't go wrong with Berri but I've also heard very good reports from Aldi juice too.

Many people state that a blend of different brands gives a more complex result too.

I'm currently doing a small test batch of Preshafruit Pink Lady juice - I hope it turns out awful because a full batch will end up costing about $80!
Bum

Postby matr » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 10:03 am

Bum wrote: Lady juice
:shock:

Out of context obviously... But my mind did sink that low...

Maybe you could call it Cider from Incider? :roll:

:lol:
matr

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Bum wrote:I'm currently doing a small test batch of Preshafruit Pink Lady juice - I hope it turns out awful because a full batch will end up costing about $80!

I've been contemplating doing one of these, too. Do let us know how your little batch goes because you're right; a full batch is definitely not on the cheap side.

Turns out that one of the orchard owners in Bilpin (spot just up the mountains that apparently is more nuts for apples than anywhere else in the world) is a bit of a brewer and will happily sell juice on the cheap to other brewers wanting to make cider. Been thinking of giving him a shout and doing my first all-juice cider soon.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 1:40 pm

I've done an all fresh pressed juice cider using a blend of 3 apples (fuji, granny and i think golden delicious or something similar). 2 x 1.5kg bags of each variety from memory ended up with ~4.5L from 9kg of apples.

So not cheap and very time consuming but the result was easily the best ever cider i have made. There was a depth to the flavour, much more complex which is what i was aiming for by using some sweet, some tart apples. Much like the thinking behind my holy grail of ciders - Breton Cider
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 1:47 pm

From link:
A slow fermentation (1 point / week) gives a better cider.

Sorry, DrS. I'm far too thirsty for that.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

That is due to using wild yeasts that occur on the apple skins.

I used Wyeast 4766 (cider) and aim for a primary ferment of 3-4 weeks at the lower end of the temperature scale.
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 9:27 pm

i prefer good old fashion farm house cider
a blend of sweet and acid apples
of course it will be dry
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:51 pm

One can replicate the taste of a cider that uses multiple differing apples with acid adjustments to an all-juice cider ferment. There's no reason that the all-juice method should be looked down upon.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Monday Oct 04, 2010 10:09 pm

so do you use cultured yeast or wild yeast?
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Hmm, there has been posts removed here.

I prefer to use cultured yeasts for a more predictable outcome, but again, it wouldn't be difficult to add wild yeast to a juice brew by just cutting an apple into pieces and throwing that in, if that was what you wanted.
bullfrog

Postby Bubble » Monday Apr 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi guys, i wanted to try this last year back in blighty, but i never got around to it.
I have a 5 ltre demi john with air lock top, i want to know if when i put the 2 litres of pure juice in do i top up to 4 litres with water, and because we like a sweeter cider do i add equal amounts of brewing sugar and lactose, or do i just go with brewing sugar (1kg or 250gram)? and at what temp do i pitch the champagne yeast at, then how long in demi john. Then is it ready to drink on readings approval, or do i bottle it and add more suger then wait weeks again?
Thanks.
BEER IS LIKE A QUIET WOMAN
Bubble

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 26, 2011 11:27 am

Don't top up with water and there's no need to add sugar unless you also want it to be able to be used to clean your oven. The juice alone will ferment to over 5-6% easily enough. Also, if you want a sweeter cider, just use a less attenuative yeast. I've had great results from just using US-05.

You may want to do more than just two litres, though. I buy 22L of juice for each cider batch. All of it just gets tipped into the fermenter then you can add extras (tannic acid, spices, etc -- none of which are needed, of course) and throw your yeast on top. Leave it for a fortnight then, Robert's your mother's brother, you've got a 22L batch of homemade cider that you can bottle or keg.
bullfrog

Postby hirns » Tuesday Apr 26, 2011 12:38 pm

I've used the berri with the champagne yeast and it came out crytal in clarity, but was way way too\ dry(still better than any kit though). I was aiming for a dryish cider like Mercury, but this needed some lactose. The next time I made it with 200g of lactose and it was still way to dry. I would use 500g next time or as Bullrog suggested, change the yeast.

Hirns
Last edited by hirns on Friday May 06, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hirns

Next

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .