First Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Re: First Ginger Beer

Postby Bum » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 9:33 am

A consistent mix won't be the issue once fermentation starts. Everything starts swirling around and it pretty much mixes itself.

Assuming that your OG wasn't 1030, it does sound like the yeast has stalled though. Any chance the temp has gotten a bit low and put the yeast to sleep? Either way you could get the temp up near 20C and give the fermenter a good swirl (try not to splash too much) to rouse up some yeast and hopefully get her going again. If your OG was 1030 then your original yeast might not have been viable. If this is the case get some more yeast from your LHBS (Safale US05 is a good one for GBs), rehydrate it to ensure it is good to go (do a search for correct method) and then pitch.

Good luck with it.
Bum

Postby DzRBenson » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi,

The temp as stayed at 24c bar 1 day when it was 22c, The OG was 1050 which seemed very high, but with the Sugar and Honey I thought pretty normal,

It looks good, and tastes good, Im just not sure if that 1030 is still way to high, I will take another reading at about 8pm and see what it is.
DzRBenson

Postby DzRBenson » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Well I tested the G today and its at 1025, so it is still dropping.

Guess Il test it in a few days
DzRBenson

Postby Bum » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Oh! I thought you meant the yeast had been at 1030 for six days.

GBs take longer than beer to ferment out and condition. Just let it do its thing and she'll be apples. Speaking of apples, you'll probably wanna try to keep your temps a smidge lower over the ferment. Higher temps promote undesirable flavours. 18-20 is generally considered ideal for ale yeasts (there's always exceptions, of course).
Bum

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .