ginger beer carbonation

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

ginger beer carbonation

Postby kimbo » Monday Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi Guys,
with priming for ginger beer,can i put honey into the bottles instead of carbonation drops?
kimbo

Re: ginger beer carbonation

Postby Tipsy » Monday Feb 14, 2011 9:38 pm

You can, but it can be hard to judge the fermentation of the honey, well so I've been told.
Much easier to add honey to the primary.
Tipsy

Postby kimbo » Monday Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm

thanks for that. How much should i put in my 19L brew and at what stage? bearing in mind that i used a coopers can, 1kg raw sugar and 500g honey!
kimbo

Postby Trizza » Tuesday Feb 15, 2011 8:12 am

Kimbo,

Simply add around 500-750g of honey when commencing the batch. Just add the kit, honey & sugar with some boiling water (to dissolve) at the start of the batch. Top up to 19L, pitch yeast.

Fermentation with honey tends to take awhile, so be prepared to wait 14-21 days for the fermentation to finish (Temps 20-22 deg).

If you’re keen to use honey in lieu of carbonation drops, I’d suggest doing it in a couple of the bottles in your batch. However, a problem arises relating to getting a similar level of consistency that either bulk priming or carbonation drops commonly provide. Add around 5-7g of honey to each 750ml bottles that you’d want to experiment with. Be very careful if you’re using glass bottles as any more than 7 grams may cause over carbonation, and consequently burst your bottles.

Trizza
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby kimbo » Tuesday Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm

fantastic Trizza, thanks for that
kimbo

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .