cider recipe

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

cider recipe

Postby buster » Sunday May 01, 2011 4:42 pm

talking to my mother inlaw she wants a cider recipe starting from scratch,without using a commercial brand wort tin.can anybody supply me a recipe that works and taste good.thanks
buster

Re: cider recipe

Postby Bubble » Sunday May 01, 2011 4:47 pm

5 litres of berry juice
500g lactose.
1kilo brewing sugar.
2 kilos of granny smiths (peeled /chopped up)
1 sachet of champagne yeast

Throw the juice into your container, add the apples (all the peels and cores) the lot, both sugars. I added a litre of boiling water, and 5 litres of cold.
Mixed it for about 2 minutes just to get some air into the mix, take a reading (if you want), throw on the yeast close the lid and put it somewhere nice and quite for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy.

Edited to add forgotten ingredient - lactose 500g for sweetness.
BEER IS LIKE A QUIET WOMAN
Bubble

Postby timmy » Sunday May 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Here's my standard:

20-24L Berri Apple Juice (99.9% apple juice one, with no added preservatives - very important!)
Wyeast Cider Yeast (can't remember the number off hand but Ross @ Craftbrewer stocks it)

Ferment at about 20degrees and that's it!

I don't think you need the added lactose as when you use champagne yeast - the Wyeast leave a bit of residual sweetness but (more importantly) allows more fruit flavour to come through and also doesn't need as much time to mature. It's a bit pricier than Bubble's recommendation (~$35, depending on whether you can get the juice on special)
timmy

Postby bullfrog » Monday May 02, 2011 4:14 am

You can go cheaper by using Aldi apple juice. Also has no preservatives. 22L of it and US-05 yeast. No other extras and the ale yeast won't attenuate too much so you end up with still a bit of sweetness and apple flavour. Takes all of two minutes to knock together.
bullfrog

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .