crown seals

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

crown seals

Postby alanl » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

hi all first post. long time since last brew(12 years) was wondering if any tips for useing new screw type bottles with crown seals or am i just wasting time.
unfortunatly (according to other posts) i brewed briagalwaw cider but added 2x 2lt apple juice and one apple schnapps flavouring so we will wee ill keep posts as we go.
look forward to any tips and love reading the posts.thanks all
alanl

Re: crown seals

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 10:34 am

I regularly use both screw type and roll top bottles for my bottling.

Never a problem with either of them, but I feel you do need to use a proper capper, such as a Superautonomica.

My local HB shop sells two different types of caps, one white coloured for the screw tops, one gold coloured for the roll tops. The metal in the white ones is a little softer than the gold ones, so it conforms somewhat easier to the screw tops. However, either type, or whatever your HB shop sells you will work OK. The Coopers tops from the supermarket or BigW etc will work OK on all types of bottles.
warra48

Postby alanl » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

thanks warra i omitted to say i was using stubby type but ill look for the white one,s
alanl

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

Hi and welcome, Alan.

+1 to what Warra said about the caps. I mostly use crown-seal bottles but have also used the same type of caps for twist-top stubbies. I bought 1000 caps a few years ago when I was living in Geelong and am still getting through them!

I have been using a Superautomatica for years and have never had a problem with crown seals or twist tops.

This is what they look like:

It's a very good investment because you don't run the risk of breaking bottles and wasting beer or hurting yourself.

I'm sure your cider will be fine, but perhaps there might be some room for improvement :-)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

yeah for me: justwent and looked thats the brand i have tha

Postby alanl » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am

thanks warra i omitted to say i was using stubby type but ill look for the white one,s
alanl

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .