Moa wine yeast

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Moa wine yeast

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Jan 26, 2012 1:30 pm

G'day,

I have a bottle of Moa Noir (dark lager) in the fridge. Noticed it has some slurry on the bottom. I did some digging with my Google shovel and it appears to be some kind of wine yeast used for bottling but I couldn't find out what type.

I was considering trying to propogate this with a view to using in a dry cider. Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether or not this is a good idea or worth while experiment?
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Re: Moa wine yeast

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jan 29, 2012 11:10 am

I used the Google machine on the www.moabeer.com website and it doesn't make reference, from what I can see, to being bottle conditioned with wine yeast, rather that it's conditioned with a "bottom-fermenting yeast". Given it's a lager, this may well be the same yeast it's fermented with.

There are other sites that say it's a wine yeast.

Maybe it'd be worth emailing the brewery to see if they will reveal what type of yeast it is.

Let us know how you go.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Moa wine yeast

Postby emnpaul » Tuesday Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Good idea to email the brewery. I was a bit suprised they would be so forthcoming with information, but never the less I got this response from their head brewer David Nicholls.

"Hi Paul
Yes you are correct. The sediment will be a mixed culture of our primary fermentation lager yeast and our secondary fermentation wine yeast".

So that's it. A bit of both. He declined to mention any particular strains, not that I can blame him for that.

I'm not sure what a warm ferment with a lager plus wine yeast will produce. Might be worth a try just to find out. 12L of Aldi appple juice should do the trick.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .