Mexican Cerveza Additions

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey all I was givin a Mexican Cerveza can (Coopers) & I'v already done a batch following the can but would like to use this to experiment I was also givin Brew Enhancer 1 (Coopers)
Any ideas? I intend to use the 2 together with Lager Yeast
I was thinking lemon & lime schnapps or 2kg lemons zested and juiced?
Has anyone had success in something similar or if ya would like to throw ideas at me im all for it after all I didnt pay for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Re: Mexican Cerveza Additions

Postby Bum » Monday May 28, 2012 10:07 pm

As long as you're able to manage temps cold enough for a real lager yeast - I really wouldn't bother with much in the way of extras if that's the style you're after. It is supposed to be a fairly clean kit on its own and the style isn't really well known for tasting like much - adding stuff will wreck that. Save the fruit for serving, if you must.

Otherwise, it is a really good base for pretty much any pale ale. World is your oyster.
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Monday May 28, 2012 10:59 pm

And if you do decide to go the lemon route, 2kg would be way too much. I've made lemonade twice before and have only used 3kg of lemons per batch.

To throw it into beer, I'd probably suggest the zest from only 3 or 4 lemons. Any more and I think it'd be more a lemon drink with malt as opposed to a beer with lemon.
bullfrog

Postby Bum » Monday May 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Oops. I only just noticed which forum this is in. Yeah, my advice is still what I'd go with but obviously probably not all that helpful in this case. Bullfrog sounds like he's on the money if you're doing the fruit thing.
Bum

Postby BrewersApprentice » Tuesday May 29, 2012 6:57 am

Hahaha I just realised after reading what bum wrote that iv poster in the wrong forum,
I was just playin with it so thanks all ill probs just go by can again then so what yeast should I use
BrewersApprentice

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday May 29, 2012 9:56 am

Yeast would come down to your ability to manage temperatures.

Have you got a way to hold the brew steady at lager temps (~10-12 deg.?) If so, you could use just about any neutral lager yeast (as bum said, the style is known for not having a lot going on, so you don't need a yeast that will throw out fruity esters, etc.)

If you don't have the ability to get the temp that low, but can keep it around or under 18 degrees then use US-05 and make a pseudo-lager.
bullfrog

Postby BrewersApprentice » Wednesday May 30, 2012 10:12 am

yeah i really dont have a way to keep the temp down that low so ill go with US-05 thanks all
BrewersApprentice

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .