Our Homebew Wine

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Our Homebew Wine

Postby Guru » Wednesday Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am

A few mates and I make a reasonable amount of wine. We have the benefit of one of the guys being a winemaker. Our wine club has been running for about 15 years and in that time we have progressively upgraded our equipment so we can produce a good amount of wine without huge effort.

Anyway I believe some of you guys here don't mind the odd drop of Shiraz etc, so though you might be interested in this.

We are about to bottle our latest batch which has been a long time coming due to various reasons. Myself the winemaker and club president had a tasting on the weekend and it is definitely a pretty reasonable drop. The grapes from this batch were sourced from Great Western in Victoria, although normally we grow and pick our own. We have some more wine from the local grapes almost ready to bottle as well.

This photo shows the 2 vats of Great Western Shiraz that are ready to bottle. This is about 2,500 litres.

Here's a photo of the taste test and the label (my design) that is to go on the bottles.

Planning to have the bottling in the next few weeks. This is always a well turned out affair (as opposed to the actual grape picking).

Here's a video of one of our bottlings.
http://youtu.be/N9wHvyQS6Ew

Enjoy.
Guru

Re: Our Homebew Wine

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Oct 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Oak staves in the vats or have you racked the wine out of oak barrels ready for bottling?
drsmurto

Postby Guru » Thursday Oct 31, 2013 6:52 am

The two vat contain a blend of 2008 and 2010 vintage for various reasons. We had most of it in oak barrels for a couple of years. Everything else had some oak teabags. Like you said this is now all racked into the stainless tanks ready for bottling.
Guru

Postby thedrunkdrake » Thursday Jan 16, 2014 8:43 am

I was just thinking that with 2,500 liters you could be plastered from years.
I hope your shairing. If you are can I have some :wink:

Cheers
thedrunkdrake

Postby Guru » Thursday Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Plenty of people to help drink it of course. Not so good on a day like today when its 45 degrees.

Heading off in a few minutes to box up the 300 magnums we bottled as well. Has taken a while to find some boxes.
Guru

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .