Favouite Ginger Beer recipies....(+ poll)

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Have you ever had a 10/10 ginger beer with no artificial sweetners?

Poll ended at Friday Sep 16, 2005 11:19 am

Yes -it's a bloody marval
No votes
Yes -it keeps the better half happy in the summer months
14%
No I'm still searching for Grandpa's secret
50%
No I'm producing BBQ cleaners commercially now
14%
Who drinks that crap it's not real beer!
21%

Total votes : 14

Postby flosso » Wednesday Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm

For those that were enquiring before about a ginger beer without artificial sweetener involved - it appears that Grumpy's do one - the link for it is here:

http://www.grumpys.com.au/phpshop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=00c11cde55c4e450e3fd95ec75f6afeb&
flosso

Postby Paul Bennett » Thursday Sep 08, 2005 11:36 am

When you make a DIY ginger beer for the very first time, bottle it in soft-drink bottles and don't point them at your eyes. Let them mature outside somewhere, or in a box. I bottled my first ginger beer (from a recipe from the ABC website) and four bottles exploded in my car, glass shards and splinters sticking into the headlining and door panels. By a lucky chance, I was inside a shop at the time. Had I been on the highway, there would have been a really nasty accident. Exploding glass bottles are really, really dangerous, and can never be a joke.
It wasn't just the vibrations of the car, either. I had a 1.2-litre PET bottle blow up in the bathroom, and it went straight up like a rocket and bored a perfect hole in the Gyprock ceiling, then span around in circles before falling.
Paul Bennett

Postby gregb » Thursday Sep 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Exploding glass bottles are really, really dangerous, and can never be a joke.

...actually they can be piss funny when it happens to someone else.
gregb

Postby Daron » Thursday Sep 08, 2005 2:29 pm

The PET bottle going nuts in the bathroom, I'm sorry, does sound very funny. I know I'd be going apeshit if it happened to me, but it didn't and I apologise for pissing myself...
Wife says all I care about is beer and footy... she's right!
Daron

Postby gregb » Thursday Sep 08, 2005 3:32 pm

Yeah, agree, just how funny something is is proportional to how much pain it doesn't cause you.
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 09, 2005 9:58 am

Nice,

I like it,

Stirs a memory........I often wonder how that guy made out who primed his bottles with 1.2 kilos of dex. Said he forgot to add the kilo at the begining and figured it would be OK to add before bottling. Asked me to check his brew. Said one or two had lifted off. Was the last day at that job for me, graduated from uni the next week. Think I did tell him to open the bottles.......Think I did......pretty sure........if I didn't I sure meant to......

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Friday Sep 09, 2005 12:13 pm

He must've got away with no injuries, we'd have heard about him if he'd turned up in the Darwin Awards.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 09, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanks Greg

I am sure you are right,

Thought I saw him on Funniest Videos though being chased by an angry brown bottle right out of the house, must have been a dream....

Sure, I told him 8) :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .