Black Rock Cider Kit

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Black Rock Cider Kit

Postby Wassa » Monday Sep 12, 2005 8:39 am

G'day everyone.

Just purchased a Blackrock Cider kit to put down for the Department of War to drink over Xmas. Both her and myself prefer Dry cider to sweet cidewr so wondering if anyone has brewed this kit and what it was like?

I am thinking of putting it down with 500g of dextrose and 500g of LDME. What do you think? Also, is the yeast supplied ok or should I get a dry white wine yeat to ferment it with??

Thanks for your help[ guys.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby undercover1 » Monday Sep 12, 2005 9:11 am

If you want it dry, don't add anything but fully fermentable dextrose.
I do not know what the yeast supplied is, but wine yeast will probably do a better job of getting it dry for you.
But remember dry cider doesn't keep too well, after 3-4 months in the bottle you may find it hard going.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby gregb » Monday Sep 12, 2005 11:55 am

I did a Blackrock Cider kit with 1kg of Dextrose only.

Brewed out nicely dry.
Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby The Brown Hornet » Monday Sep 12, 2005 6:44 pm

I brewed a Black Rock Cider with a kilo of white suger and the supplied yeast about 18 months ago. Came out pretty dry, so much so that my wife, who likes a sweet cider, refused to drink it.

As for the short shelf life, I still have half a dozen or so left and reckon they still taste great after 18 months.

Cheers
When One's Too Many and a Thousand Not Enough
The Brown Hornet

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 12, 2005 9:17 pm

The two ciders that I've made have contained lactose and both have been quite dry. Without the lactose (and in one case malt) they would have been too dry.

Some malt extract on its own might do the trick, too.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby umop-3p|sdn » Friday Sep 16, 2005 8:04 am

I've made the blackrock kit a few times, and it's always come out dry.

I usually use:

1 Blackrock Mix
2L of apple juice (as in home made, juiced apples)
1kg of dextrose
500g honey

It's always come out quite dry. The one thing I am starting to notice though, is that when primed with a normal amount of dextrose (one scoop, from my measuring thingy) they have a tendancy to become over-carbonated if left for a couple of months. I actually had my first bottle explode the other day, and the rest of that batch are all quite fizzy. Next time I might try and use a little less sugar I think!
umop-3p|sdn

Postby Chris » Saturday Sep 17, 2005 5:51 pm

The Blackrock cider is amazing! It is VERY dry. I added 125g lactose, and it was still very dry. I did a combination of Oliver and Geoff's Leni and Happiness is in Cider.

I did the kit up to 18L, added 125g Lactose, and put 3 peeled, cored and cut up Grannie Smith apples in a stocking. It is one hell of a cider (even if I do say so myself). btw, thanks to Oliver and Geoff for the inspiration.

If Oliver is out there somewhere, do you recommend the Blackrock Colonial Lager?
Chris

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 19, 2005 12:52 pm

Chris wrote:If Oliver is out there somewhere, do you recommend the Blackrock Colonial Lager?

Chris,

I'm here! I haven't tried the Black Rock Colonial Lager, so I can't comment. Sorry.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Monday Sep 19, 2005 3:27 pm

I've got a Black Rock Colonial aging at the moment, should be about two weeks away, if I remember I'll let you know then how it goes!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Chris » Monday Sep 19, 2005 11:08 pm

I'll wait for the results with eager anticipation...
Chris

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .