evil girl made me make cider,

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

evil girl made me make cider,

Postby mr beer » Saturday May 13, 2006 3:34 pm

Im about to bottle a cider, as my girlfriend dosnt drink beer, i used the following recipy
black rock cider concentrate
4l apple(97.5) and blackcurrent(2%)
1/2 kg caster shugar
made to 18lt
I took off a smaple today, after 2 weeks, it came out verry transparrent and a nice goldern colour, but it tastes like rotten apples and is quite accidic. :(
Is this bad?
Will it improve in the bottle?
Can i add something at this stage to change the taste at this stage?

" chuck out the cider and the girl and just brew beer!" is what my mates say! :roll:
mr beer

Postby JubJub » Saturday May 13, 2006 6:29 pm

I don't konw anything about cider, buut I do know that the taste of brewed things can change - dramaticaly - like you wouldn't believe.

I bottled a coopers lager about 2 weeks ago. After one week I tasted it.

It was bad, I mean realy bad, so bad I couldn't swallow it tasted like someone had diluted it 50/50 with apple juice, after some posts, it turned out I brewed it to hot and got some esters in it. Basicly from what I understand some beers are great straight out of the fermenter. Some just need time some more than others but basicly once the other flavours develop - and trust me they come from nowhere - they will take over and balance out the taste. My beer didnt taste like anything exept apples wasn't even slightly bitter. After just one additional week it has a strong beer taste and while still applely is better.

Anyway like I said, I havent done a cider but I would leave it be and brew some beer while you wait for it to balance out.
JubJub

Re: evil girl made me make cider,

Postby InCider » Saturday May 13, 2006 7:13 pm

mr beer wrote:Will it improve in the bottle?
Can i add something at this stage to change the taste at this stage?

" chuck out the cider and the girl and just brew beer!" is what my mates say! :roll:

Mr Beer,

My first brew was a Cider, and was one of the best brews I've made out of about 8 so far. I am about to bottle my second cider, and decided to have a sniff in the fermenter. FYI it's a cheapie Brigalow Cider kit with dex - was great last time so it gets another run. This time I put in a very thinly sliced apple (Granny Smith). It smells good at one metre, but when you get close it's enough to take the enamel off your teeth. Like apple flavoured metho. I'm glad I've got a few other beers on the go while time tames the cider.

Let me know how you like the cider. It's nice in summer for a change.

InCider.
InCider

Postby Wassa » Saturday May 13, 2006 9:46 pm

I have made the Blackrock Cider with 1 kg of dextrose and 4 x Granny smith apples peeled, cored and quartered.

The kit took forever to carbonate (bulk primed with dextrose) and took like 4 weeks for primary ferment to finish. FG was around 1000 and it was dry as could be.

Turned out to be a great dry cider. Just let nature take it course. It will turn out ok.

For next kit i will add 200gm of Lactose to sweeten her up a bit for the missus.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby mr beer » Sunday May 14, 2006 4:23 pm

thanks for the pep,
ill bottle it tomorrow, and leave it for a while and see how it goes, in a fortnight or two.
mr beer

Postby Chris » Tuesday May 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Cider can take a while to resolve, so just relax and let it do it's thing.

Also, many people expect it to be a lot sweeter than it is. Remember that it is made of rotten apples, so it will taste like rotten apples.
Chris

Postby mentalmayham » Thursday May 18, 2006 4:50 pm

I've made 2 ciders, the first was a black rock with 3lt 100% apple juice,1kg white sugar, fermented for 2 weeks and bottled condition for 4 weeks and it was bloody beautiful. Until because I didnt keep it at a constant temp, what was left blew up :x
the second was a cheap one from coles, made the same way. It has been in the bottle now for 4mths and still tastes like weak watered down piss :cry:
mentalmayham

Postby Chris » Friday May 19, 2006 1:53 pm

The blackrock kit is great. Especially if you only fill to 18L. And add apples.
Chris

Postby mr beer » Saturday May 20, 2006 7:32 pm

tryed the cider last night, not bad at all, its only been in the bottle maby 5 days or so and its allready starting to taste better, The acidic taste it had is no longer as strong :D , Ill give it a bit longer and see how it goes, Only prob is that one went bang last night and im worried that i might loose a few :cry: I primed them all indervidualy so i might have added to much to the one that blew, but if more start doing this i might just have to drink the lot quick! :wink:
mr beer

Postby velophile » Monday May 22, 2006 12:27 pm

mr beer wrote:tryed the cider last night, not bad at all, its only been in the bottle maby 5 days or so and its allready starting to taste better, The acidic taste it had is no longer as strong :D , Ill give it a bit longer and see how it goes, Only prob is that one went bang last night and im worried that i might loose a few :cry: I primed them all indervidualy so i might have added to much to the one that blew, but if more start doing this i might just have to drink the lot quick! :wink:

If you're worried about bottle bombs, stick 'em in the fridge.
Ride, Drink, Repeat.
velophile

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .