Sweetening without lactose

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Sweetening without lactose

Postby blandy » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Does anyone know anything that can be used for sewwtening other than Lactose? I'll be making a sweet cider soon and there are certain lactose-intolerant members of the family that will complain if I deliberately add lactose.

thanks
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby NTRabbit » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 3:40 pm

Any sweet sugar that is not easily fermentable will do the trick.

Unfortunately, beyond Lactose the only thing I can think of is typical artificial sweetener, which is thought responsible for many bad tasting ciders and gingers.

Another thought would be to use Light Dry Malt instead of white sugar, but that does alter the flavour a little.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 5:58 pm

NTRabbit wrote:Another thought would be to use Light Dry Malt instead of white sugar, but that does alter the flavour a little.

Dry malt was going to be what I suggested. The residual sugar from the malt will sweeten the cider a bit. I wouldn't add too much though (say, 500g to start with?) or the malt might provide too much taste. You can always add more next time if you like the effect.

Also add 500g-1kg of dextrose, depending on how strong you want the cider.

Steer clear of artificial sweetner as it's bad news in my books.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Chris » Tuesday Jul 04, 2006 12:10 pm

You could try stevia. It is natural, sweet, and cheap.

You can usually get it from health stores in tablet form, or just get some leaves from someone's plant- assuming you know someone WITH a plant.

Just be wary- it is very sweet.
Chris

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .