Help wanted - home winemaking emergency!

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Help wanted - home winemaking emergency!

Postby Breadandwine » Monday Jul 24, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm sorry this is about wine and not beer, but I don't know where else to turn. I hope someone can help me.
I've made my own red wine for over thirty years - in 5 gal batches. Last night I was putting together my usual mix but the wine yeast I bought - a new tub, use by date 03/07 is as dead as a doornail.
I've got 700g fresh morello cherries and blackcurrants plus 250g dried elderberries, with a litre and a half of boiling water poured over it - and no wine yeast to add to it.
I can't get any more wine yeast until tomorrow.
Should I store it in the freezer/fridge until I can get to the home made wine shop on Tuesday; or,
Just add some easyblend bread yeast to the mix until I get some wine yeast. What would the effect of this be?
Any help gratefully received.
Cheers, Paul
breadandwine
Breadandwine

Postby JubJub » Monday Jul 24, 2006 6:40 pm

If you have been brewing wine for a while, would it be possible that you could pitch some sediment from you other bottles? Please understand that I have NO knowledge of wine making. If it was beer that is what I would do.

Hope its not a silly as it sounds.

Jub
JubJub

Postby Breadandwine » Tuesday Jul 25, 2006 6:06 am

Hi Jub,
Thanks for the response.
Not silly at all! You can do that with beer because it's still alive. Unfortunately, although I have a DJ of wine from my last batch, the yeast just dies off.
In the end I put the fruit in the freezer and the juice in the fridge. I'll get some decent yeast tomorrow evening and go from there.
BTW I find it quite weird to be talking to you in Australia - I couldn't find a UK based site.
I spent 12 years in the Aussie Air Force in the Sixties and Seventies, and I've many fond memories of the place.
Best wishes to you from England.
Paul':)'
breadandwine
Breadandwine

Postby Chris » Saturday Jul 29, 2006 10:52 pm

This may be too late...

But, do not use bread yeast! Bread yeast is for bread- strangely enough.

You should be fine with your mixture, as long as you followed basic sanitary procedures when preparing it. I'd wait until you can get the best yeast for the job.

Good luck.
Chris

Postby Breadandwine » Sunday Jul 30, 2006 5:47 am

Hi Jub and Chris!
It's confession time folks! I stored my ingredients in fridge and freezer until I went to my local home brew shop on Tuesday.
There I was told that the yeast I was using (which I'd never used before) should be sprinkled directly on top of the wine must - whereas I was making a starter bottle as I've always done.
I went home, started again, added the yeast, and within 30 minutes it was going like a train!
Thanks for your interest. It's now bubbling away and I'll be drinking it in around 4 weeks time.
Cheers!
Paul
Breadandwine

Postby Chris » Sunday Jul 30, 2006 11:21 am

Nothing beats a happy ending.
Chris

Postby JubJub » Sunday Jul 30, 2006 11:37 am

Well isn't that interesting, with the starter not working. Like Chris said, goood to see a happy ending.

Cheers,

Jub
JubJub

Postby Breadandwine » Monday Jul 31, 2006 3:55 am

Thanks, guys!
Now that I've found this site I'll be back again finding out how to improve my beer!
Cheers, Paul :D :D
breadandwine
Breadandwine

Postby Chris » Monday Jul 31, 2006 1:32 pm

Now THAT'S what we like to hear. Another satisfied customer.

And beer and winemaking do go well together.
Chris

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .