cider in a beer fermenter & clingwrap

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

cider in a beer fermenter & clingwrap

Postby flotoonie » Sunday Sep 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Hello all

I recently bought another plastic fermenter and my neighbour tells me that I should keep the new one for my cider brews and the old for beer. He says that my cider will have a beer taste to it if I use the old fermenter because 'while you can clean and sterilise a fermenter one can never fully eradicate the beer taste'.

Is this just a myth?

And seperately is one pinhole enough in a cling wrap cover on a fermenter? Is it bad for the brew if excess gas struggles to escape? Should I have several pin holes?

Cheers
flotoonie

Postby Matt Wilbur » Sunday Sep 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Not sure about the taste. But I got a fermenter from my old man which has been used for all kinds of things, beer, ginger beer, cider and even red wine. I used it for my last beer and it tastes delish.
You deserve a cascade draught.
Matt Wilbur

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Sep 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Its not true, You will notice that when you wash your fermenter, i do this by filling with hot water and a bit of laundry detergent, the smell of the beer is still mildly there, but once you steralise properly you can only smell the steraliser, or at least i can.
Ive used my fermenters for all sorts of things and never had any tastes in there that shouldnt be :lol:
lethaldog

Postby blandy » Monday Sep 04, 2006 7:41 am

All food-grade polymer fermenters are designed so that they don't absorb flavours. Everything should succumb to the steriliser
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Chris » Monday Sep 04, 2006 2:24 pm

You shouldn't have any tastes left in your fermenter. If you do, give it a bleach wash. There won't be anything left in there then.

As for the gladwrap, don't even bother with the pinhole. The CO2 gets out around the seal. A hole makes a nice entry point for any little flies that feel like a swim.

I've used the gladwrap many times with no hole, and I've never had any dramas.
Chris

Postby flotoonie » Monday Sep 04, 2006 5:03 pm

cheers

Thanks guys
flotoonie

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .