Not sure about my brewing

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Not sure about my brewing

Postby Lord Azrael » Thursday Oct 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi guys, just a quick question...

What Happened:
I've just bottled a Brigalow Apple Cider made to the instuction on the pack using 1kg of dextrose starting s.g was 1.045. After the first 24 hours the temp stayed within the recommended range 26-28 but on the second day the temp had risen to 30-31. The fermentation lock was bubbling furiously and i switched off the heat pad. anyways later in the day the temp had lowered to about 22 so i plugged the heat pad back in and checked the s.g 1.018. so i let another 24 hours go and kept the temp between 28-26 by turning the heat pad on and off and checked it on the 3rd 24 hour mark the s.g was 1.002 so i bottled it.

Question:
Now on the pack it says that cider brews slower than beer but in my case it brewed quicker than a beer i've done (4 days). Is it because the temp was above 28 degrees and that made the yeast work better or is there something else i'm missing...

Anyways, as i said it's bottled now, all i gotta do now is sit back and wait to see how it came out. All comments would be much appreciated!
I never said i didn't like kids, I just can't eat a whole one :D

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby OldEvan » Thursday Oct 26, 2006 9:11 pm

I was always under the impression it brewed slower because cider is less viscous than beer, so more of the yeast sinks to the bottom where it becomes inactive. The high brewing temperature probably meant rapid yeast multiplication so it never had a chance to sink before fermentation was complete.

Just my guess on why it happened, but it definately would have been the temperature. Let us know how it turns out :)
OldEvan

Postby Lord Azrael » Thursday Oct 26, 2006 9:19 pm

thanks for that, will definatly let you all know how it went... whats the worst that can happen? a trip to the hospital for a stomach pump... wouldn't be the first time :D ahh, the highlights of a miss spent youth LOL

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby Noodles » Friday Oct 27, 2006 9:29 am

I think evanmit is on the money. I brewed a cider about 6 weeks ago at 18c and it took 14 days to ferment fully.

It's just your temps are too high. Piss that heat pad off, if it's sitting around 22c let it be.
"Doc, what can I do about these terrible hangovers?"
'You can stop drinking beer'
"No, seriously Doc, what can I do?"
Noodles

Postby Lord Azrael » Friday Oct 27, 2006 6:41 pm

Only had the heat pad because my first brews were sitting at about 20 degrees on a good day, but now the weather is warmer, the next brew will be heat pad free.

Oh and the ginger beer i bottled a week ago with similar problems (but that was because i stuffed up the mix... too much water :P) doesn't taste that bad, so it can only get better with time!

Az
Lord Azrael

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .