Ginger Beer - Good taste/Bad Smell

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger Beer - Good taste/Bad Smell

Postby Crowash » Friday Oct 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Heya,

I put down a brigalow kit two weeks ago with extra ginger, coriander, LDME, Lactose, and honey with a really low alc content (probably about 2%). Well it's been racked and is ready to bottle.

It's tastes great but smells pretty putrid when you get your nose close to it. Kinda like sewerage ewww!! :cry: Kinda makes my sig makes sense!

Well I aint gunna chuck it at this stage but am interested to know if this has happened to anyone before and if I should expect it to improve once bottled.
Crowash

Postby WSC » Monday Oct 30, 2006 9:59 pm

I had the same thing with coopers ginger.

The only thing I could put it down to was the sodium met not being rinsed out.

Bad news though.....the smell never went away after many months I drank half but threw the rest.
WSC

Postby Crowash » Tuesday Oct 31, 2006 8:29 am

My winemaking buddy put it down to stress placed on the yeast leaving sulfur in the brew.. I think?

He reckons the fridge i had it in varied the temp too much and that may be right as I don't have a fridgemate but will be getting one soon. Says if I put it in an open jug in the fridge for ten minutes it should clear away the smell.
Crowash

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .